Sign in to follow this  
Natured

Help - booked c-section advice

Natured

It's my 3rd c-section and just need help in what to ask for if I can, is their anything you wished you had happen or done? Before ,during ,after it ,if anyone has any advice I would be extremely grateful I just have nothing at the moment to add or tell the hospital. E.g like skin to skin or things that make it easier on yourself? Recovery?

Edited by Natured

Mollyksy

I wished i had organised more breast feeding help and support but as its number 3 then that might be moot for you! I'm glad I told them how nauseous i get so after a few different drugs, they hit the magic combo. I was was thankful for someone staying all night with me, but again number 3 for you! I found skin to skin well catered for even if my main thought was I was going to drop the bub! I always tell people it takes longer to sew you up then you think. But i think you'll remember that! You sound pretty organised.

I had the nurses taking pics and they got the most amazing shot of us. And a few quite confronting but interesting action shots!

Congrats and all the best!

• Like 1

Natured

Thank you for your reply , I think I am overthinking things with it being my 3rd one I really don't remember a lot after my last one luckily hubby took note lol I think more photos would be good I don't think we have a lot so will

Make sure get more xxx

Poughkeepsie

For my second and my third C-sections, i requested skin to skin contact with my baby ASAP (for one, it wasn't possible and she had to go to Special Care Nursery, but the other was fine). I also requested no "chitchat" (for lack of a better word!) amongst staff during the births, so that it felt more like our moment, and less like the staff "working" in a sterile theatre!

I also asked that the baby stay with me during recovery. This wasn't successful as again, one went to special care, and after my third child, I was so sick I couldn't function! They did bring them straight to me to breastfeed as soon as I got to my room however.

Good luck OP

• Like 1

c.sanders

Hi there op. Just had my 3rd c-section. As others mentioned requesting immediate skin to skin etc.

This time I found that the processes had changed a bit from last time.

Some issues I had this time was that they out morphine along with the spinal. I found this too strong and it made me very out of it and I did not like it's affects at all. This also meant I was forced to use oxygen tubes in my nose for the next 24hours which was not fun either and they had to give me extra medication via the canula. I would have just preferred the endone and such because the morphine didn't actually help with the pain much.

I would be clear where I wanted them to insert the canula, this time it was put in near the joint of my wrist..really hurt the entire time especially when giving me medication I was screaming in pain...UT actually still hurts 11 days post op.

• Like 1

c.sanders

Just wanted to add the morphine also made me very very nauseated and since its affects started during the operation I nearly threw up then, they quickly gave me medication to stop it but I threw up 3 times about 4 hours later despite them administering medication again to stop it happening. This was quite horrible so soon after surgery. So unless u had it before I would really ask them for more info before taking it.

• Like 1

MakesMeHappy

One thing I read on here before I had my c-section was if you start to feel sick or light headed say something to the anaesthetist as more than likely they can adjust something to ease the symptoms.

I was so glad I remembered this I started to feel like I was going to dry retch and I wasn't going to say anything, I chose to speak up and within 2 seconds I felt well again.

Also, this one is obviously not for everyone one but if you are not comfortable ask not to have a student do you spinal. Before hand I had decided To request not to have student if they asked my permission but they didn't ask and the student did it anyway. She has about 5 goes trying to get it in the right spot but was unable to, by this stage I was crying and shaking, the fully qualified anaesthetist took over and slipped it in in 2 seconds. I would have had a much better experience if it had of happened quickly the first time.

And lastly take your camera in the operating room, our nurses were fantastic and took lots of pics for us :)

Good luck

• Like 1

Natured

Thanks everyone for your replys it has helped so much :)

Edited by Natured