Sign in to follow this  
Chazonator

Bookkeeping work from home

Chazonator

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone who has started working from home doing bookkeeping what qualifications you'd need and what else is involved? My husband has mentioned that his manager might need someone to help with their accounts possibly next year and if I'm interested then could do it from home. Would you need to do a cert 4 in bookkeeping or accounts as minimum requirement?

Thanks

hills mum bec

You need to be a registered BAS agent which will require a minimum Cert IV in Bookkeeping. Check out the Tax Practitioners Board for the requirements for registration.

Chazonator

Well the only info he's given me so far is invoicing their clients but its not the same amount each month it could be different I'm not sure what else at this stage.

CallMeFeral

What's your background - do you have any accounts?

Might be worth finding out what system they use and training up on that specifically...

Chazonator

Background is in reception admin but never had the chance to learn about myob or QuickBooks etc.

Even if the job never happens I'd still like to know how to do bookkeeping from home.

Thanks

TigerQueenofSheeba

As said above, to do bookkeeping you are required to be a BAS Agent or you could face heavy fines.

Check out the Tax Practitioners Board.

Chaotic Pogo

It may make a difference whether you would be an employee, or doing the work via your own business, I think.

Also a big difference between running invoices as admin help, and being a BAS agent actually doing the books.

I think you need more info.

Chaotic Pogo

Snap ///

hills mum bec

I think that is incorrect and misleading. If they are completing the book keeping but not preparing the activity statements then there is no requirement to register as a bas agent. If you work as an employee you don't need to have registration.

Not entirely accurate. True that you do not have to be registered if you are an employee. If you are doing the bookkeeping but not the BAS lodgement there are instances where you would still have to be a registered BAS agent (if you are not an employee of the business). If the business owner is relying on your data input & bookkeeping to prepare his/her own BAS lodgement then you need to be registered. If you are doing the bookkeeping and it is all sent to an accountant to check over and lodge the BAS then you don't need to be registered. You can't do all the bookkeeping, give the owner the figures (or even just an updated accounting software data file) for the BAS as a way around the BAS agent registration laws. If you are giving anybody advice on GST obligations (and inputting figures with the amount of GST owed into an accounting software package is classed as giving advice on GST obligations) without a registration is subject to very hefty fines.

TigerQueenofSheeba

I think that is incorrect and misleading. If they are completing the book keeping but not preparing the activity statements then there is no requirement to register as a bas agent. If you work as an employee you don't need to have registration.

There is not a huge amount you can do without being registered.

I made the mistake of assuming that the OP was talking about being a contractor and not an employee.

It is correct that an employee does not need to be registered.

But if you are a contractor then it would be very silly to engage in any accounting work if you are either not registered or under the supervision of a registered BAS agent.