Caribou

Help me understand this please (NICU)

TruffleFlakes

My son was in NICU for 12 weeks at Mater Mothers Brisbane. Whilst they didnt have pull out beds to sleep on the did have recliners and I often slept next to his incubator/crib all hours of day and night.

They also didnt mind me coming up at 2 or 3 am in the morning if I wanted to.

My son started in NICU where there is only 4 babies in the room and it was easy then but by 11 weeks we were in the room with 8 or so babes making it harder and soace more scarce.

jojonbeanie

OP I think you might be getting NICU and SCN confused. NICU is Intensive Care. If your child is in Intensive Care they are probably way too sick to be establishing breastfeeding. I think what you are describing is Special Care. If you are going to talk to the staff you probably need to get the difference straight in your head and discussions.

• Like 5

TruffleFlakes

Yes we didnt get to breastfeed as my son was fed nasal gastric on a continuous feed slowly building up to bolus feeds but we had a NG tube for the first 6 months of his life.

The nurses are happy to allow you to touch (if applicable) or sit near your baby while pumping to promote more milk.

Definitely talk to your OB and the social worker at the hospital you are birthing in they have a mountain of wealth in these areas and saves trying to talk to nicu nurses who are usually run off their feet.

Soontobegran

I'm going private. it's the same hospital as I delivered last time. I liked my OB and she worked her butt off to get more nights for me in the hospital. she was really understanding. the NICU was just down the hall from my room.

The hospital definitely doesn't have any support in place for mums with babies in NCIU, but neither does my local hospital either.

I did see they had a emotional wellbeing program, and I might have a talk to them as well as the hospital over how to handle this.

Hopefully, the situation won't repeat itself, but I just wanted to prepare myself for the worse if it comes to it. I don't want to do what I did last time, bury my head in the sand and deny anything was wrong. It really messed up my head and I had post natal depression afterwards. took a lot of counselling to get past the guilt of failing my DD and going home without her.

Not many private hospitals have a NICU, they may have a level 2 SCN and as people have said this must be hospital dependent because many places do have accommodation for parents.

Do you have the chance of going elsewhere?

Most babies actually in NICU are not being breast fed and space and activity levels required for intensive care is not really conducive for rolling out beds and recliners for parents I am afraid but if you have a baby in NICU for any length of time then it might help to seek the help of a social worker which most nurseries will have access to.

• Like 1

Caribou

They called it a NICU/SCN back before I had DD. She had a feeding tube as she was very underweight.

The hospital is NSP inNSW if that helps anyone help me understand their policy.

daisy007

That's sounds like a level 2 SCN but I'm certainly no expert. My DS wasn't ready for any breast feeding in NICU but was after he had graduated to SCN.

When trying to establish feeding I found some nurses to be much better than others. I had one in particular who was amazing and I owe still being successfully breastfeeding 15 months later to her. I asked her her roster and was there for every feed that she was working, I was setting an alarm and getting up and driving to the hospital every three hours overnight when she was on nights.

I get how your feeling, the idea of going through NICU again terrifies me. I thing your doing the right thing preparing now and hopefully you avoid a stay.

• Like 1

Soontobegran

They called it a NICU/SCN back before I had DD. She had a feeding tube as she was very underweight.

The hospital is NSP inNSW if that helps anyone help me understand their policy.

NSP has a level 2 special care nursery, no NICU so that being said I do not understand why they do not have provision for parents to stay since most babies there will just be needing time to grow. :(

Hopefully your new baby will be just fine and there will be no need to worry. The risks of having PE with subsequent babies is much lower than with the first baby.

Edited by Soontobegran

Wonderstruck

Mater in North Syd (where I'll be) also has Level 2 SCN and as might have mentioned previously they're separate rooms per bub (did the tour last weekend) so I'd say they may be more inclined to let you stay (it had a sort of recliner chair), I'm sure the OB would know more about this.

Most OBs that do NSP do Mater so yours might. That said it seems most OBs prefer one over the other (My OB is one of the few that only does one hospital).

Of course, if you've already booked the hospital it may be that things are different several years down the track and I'm sure you can try and work though it all knowing it may be possible but you may not even need the SCN. I've heard its far less common in subsequent pregnancies - mum had a rough time with it with me but had no issue with it with my brother!

I presume the closest full NICU would be at RNS.

Edited by McBubba2016