Sign in to follow this  
newmumandexcited

Response to twins! Sigh.

AdelTwins

I have 4.5yo fraternal twins who were born at 35w after 7w of bedrest. They spent 20d in special care and have had no issues since.

No one would guess that they are twins (different kindy classes) or that they were prem.

I've recently lost another twin pregnancy. One twin didn't develop properly due to blood flow and we also lost his identical twin brother at 19w.

Both my twin pregnancies have been quite difficult and there have been a few major problems along the way. From my experience if you can get them to a healthy gestation then they tend to be fine.

This website helped me keep focused while on bed rest:

http://www.spensershope.org/chances_for_survival.htm

http://www.spensershope.org/chances_for_disability.htm

Good luck!

Edited by AdelTwins

doubledelight

Stupid people say stupid things and multiples just seem to amplify the stupidity. Perhaps it's the proximity of so much squishy goodness.

My twins were born at 31 weeks and my son has always been smaller and has some issues unrelated to his prematurity but he brings us all complete joy.

Enjoy your pregnancy and your babies and just feel pity for the stupid that walk amongst us.

Crazy4

I have twins and they are fantastic, yes hard work but no less fantastic. Born big and healthy at 37.5 weeks. Ignore all those stupid comments, trust me, they are going to get a lot more intrusive when the twins arrive. Some people are just so rude. Twins are a joy, its a beautiful thing being a mother witnessing their special bond. The twin bond isn't always obvious and in your face but it just makes it all the more magical. Enjoy

Edited by Crazy4

Crazy4

Also Gail Kelly had triplets - Was the CEO of Westpac.

• Like 1

The Awesome One

I know 3 sets of twins, all of whom are thriving in their careers as adults, no delays as far as I know of.

My own set of twins one does have delays, but it's got nothing to do with being a twin, simply luck of the draw. You will find that sometimes twins can have a speech delay due to talking to each other in their own language but that's the only sort of delay I've ever been told of.

DebbieDoesSanta

I don't get why saying "you'll have your hands full" is offensive. It's true. It will be busy and crazy. Not necessarily in a bad way.

PS. Not directed at the OP, but anyone who has had this comment said to them.

Edited by Debbie Downer
  • Like 1

Birdie88

Oh my gosh, congratulations! I think twins would be amazing. Don't listen to idiotic people who don't have kids/twins. I actually would love to have twins but I don't think it's likely!

It's funny how when pregnancy is concerned, people think they have a right to speak their mind to the mother - the amount of times I've been told how big I'm getting/ I must be due soon/ wow he'll be a big boy etc, is infuriating.

TwinMumNat

Congratulations OP

Having twins was the most wonderful experience of my life.

Busy and crazy yes but wonderful.

And get used to the crazy you attract. You will learn how to end a conversation swiftly. After all you will be too busy with your babies to have to chat to dimwits.

Mine do have dyslexia but thats because there is a genetic link in my family, not because they are twins.

Mcc1985

Congratulations newmumandexcited!!

Twins what a blessing, you must be over the moon.

I have no experience with twins but have the most gorgeous triplet cousins who were born 3 months early and yes while difficult they suffer no delays in anyway and you would have no idea they were born early.

Good luck and I wish you a healthy pregnancy and birth with your little miracles.