feral magnolia

Accounting software for micro business

feral magnolia

Hi, I am looking for accounting software for my business, which is tiny. It needs to be able to handle BAS and one employee, and import bank transactions. With about 5 invoices a month, no inventory, one user and limited outgoings, I would just use excel (and have in the past) but would like the software to help with the BAS and payroll/super and also make it easier to get the information to the accountant in the right format.

An accountant has recommended Cashflow Manager and I've also looked into Quickbooks Online Simple Start. It looks like people really like Xero but I think I'd be paying for unnecessary functionality.

Any recommendations? Thanks

timtam92

Ask your accountant what they would prefer. Some have a program they use so it's easier at tax time.

• Like 1

cordyline

Xero.

Subscription is only $25pm.

Moukmouk

Xero. Easy to use, and it can grow if your business does. The accountants and book keepers like it as it works in well with them. I was completely new to all of the business side and it is easy to use. I like the payroll function.

Lesley225

$300 for that small a business seems a bit dear though.

• Like 1

2good4u

Quickbooks. $15pm.

Not Escapin Xmas

Xero. But get your accountant to set it up for you! Really, $300 a year is minimal. You are going to have other much larger costs, insurance for one.

Bone Apple Tea

$300 for that small a business seems a bit dear though.

I agree.

I would do everything using manual books / excel for a business that small and just writing cheques for the 5 invoices per month.

Having said that, I'm not sure how you could pay super using superstream without accounting software, although your accountant could do this on your behalf, although would probably charge more than $300 per annum for the privelege.

ETA upon reflection, even though it is overkill for such a small business, quickbooks or xero would be your best bet. I would avoid MYOB. We pay around $1200 pa for the subscription with all the bells and whistles and aren't particularly happy with the system or service.

Edited by canstayferal

Hopefully helpful

I love Xero!

hills mum bec

I agree.

I would do everything using manual books / excel for a business that small and just writing cheques for the 5 invoices per month.

Having said that, I'm not sure how you could pay super using superstream without accounting software, although your accountant could do this on your behalf, although would probably charge more than $300 per annum for the privelege.

You don't need an accounting package to comply with super stream. You can use the ATO super clearing house for free if you have less than 19 employees.

https://www.ato.gov.au/business/super-for-employers/paying-super-contributions/small-business-superannuation-clearing-house/

MK24

Quickbooks online is a great program and will allow your business to grow without changing software and is also very user friendly and cost effective

Edited by MK24

feral magnolia

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, very helpful. Thanks for the super clearing house link hills mum bec - I'll check it out in more detail.