Wonderstruck

Pregnant or Parenting after IVF with PGD

MeerkatManor

Good luck today Mcbubba!

Wonderstruck

Hi lovely ladies.

Had my NT scan today which OB and scan place agreed was more like an early structural scan for me as the PGD is more accurate than the combined screening...but they checked it all anyway.

Bubs behaved so they could get all measurements and some photos - measuring at 12+2 at 12+1. All bits there, looks healthy, heart rate in 150s and low risk for downs based on screening, for my age 1:744 down to 1:14,855 after scan and bloods.

Hopefully GreenLady yours comes back nice an low so you don't need to consider an amnio. We weren't considering one but our risk was way less than the risk of the amnio.

We were advised the combined test is 90% accurate whereas we know PGD is 95%. I guess see how you feel once you get your results.

Do have your bloods done a week before then they tell you it all on the spot post scan.

Now I have to start announcing...weird. How does one bring it up at work...

Green lady

Congrats on the good scan!

With work I always just told my practice group leader and then the news sort of got around.

With my last one I hid it till about 20 weeks and my practice group leader just said one day "are you going again?" !!!! This was easy as I just had to say yes.

However now that I'm a Partner, it's a bit more difficult and I will probably have to send a memo around to all of them!

Wonderstruck

My manager isn't in till tomorrow so I'll tell her first.

I'll have to let it slip to people or something tomorrow lol.

DH mentioned it and his team was so excited an email went around.

MeerkatManor

Congratulations McBubba! Wonderful to be able to finally share the news :)

I'm somewhat expecting my combined screening to come back high risk. With both children the OB performing the scan were always saying that the babies couldn't look more normal. But once they plugged the blood levels into the formula moderate to high risks were predicted (from memory scans alone were 1:10000 and combined risk was 1:900 for my first and 1:100 for my second). Now that I'm older it would be even harder to "pass" the combined screening... grrr.

For now I'll continue to worry about not getting to the scan... One worry at a time heh?

Wonderstruck

The PGD is more accurate anyway so I wouldn't worry.

It was great that the place I went to sort of counselled you on the result.

Poor DH, he was kind of put off by the synographers calm voice, he said it sounded like she was bearing bad news lol - silly boy she spent the whole time saying baby looked good.

MeerkatManor

Thanks! Yeah, already decided to only consider the NT/morphology scan and try to ignore the combined screening. FX all the bits will be within normal limits on ultrasound!

Green Lady - how long till your NT scan?

I finally have a plan for the next couple of weeks. Repeat blood test this week, if the levels are rising appropriately, first scan at the end of next week/following Monday! Think I should get some more hpts to keep myself entertained before the scan?

Wonderstruck

Stay away from the HPTs!!! They'll scare you as they're not used to registering levels that high!

So will that scan be about 7 weeks?

Hang in there, its one of the hardest parts but gets easier...I found that weeks 4 and 5 dragged, it speeds up a little after week 6

Green lady

NIPT ultrasound and blood test tomorrow then nuchal ultrasound in about 2 weeks. If I get past those then will come the amnio decision.

Smoo

we know we got extremely lucky... we were about to give up. I started signing up for daycare waiting lists today, not even 20 weeks yet and i feel like i've left it late. argh!

that's great news mcbubba, it really depends on your relationship with the people you work with, this time I basically went around and chatted with people. I didn't have a lot of choice I had to pull out of a 1 year training course that was about to start

good luck with the scan tomorrow green lady, i'm sure it'll be fine, with the pgd the odds are in your favour

do you have any morning sickness meerkat - that kept me so busy feeling sorry for myself i stopped worrying about the baby

Green lady

I have terrible all day sickness - never had it this bad in previous pregnancies. It's really miserable. I have been taking the elevit morning sickness tablets which do sort if take the edge off which lets me function at work to an extent.

MeerkatManor

OK I'll try my best to stay away from more poas! Yes scan is at 7 weeks… 2 weeks away…

Smoo - No sickness so far, which ungrateful as it is, adds to the anxiety. Had horrible all day sickness bordering on HG from 5-6 weeks the first time. Pretty bad the second time. Now zippo… You're nauseous any more, are you?

Green Lady, one of my colleagues is one of 7 children, born when her mother was almost 45 (how can women like these exist?? But true!). You weeded out dozens of eggs with PGS. I don't think you need to worry any more than any one of us. This is the ONE! Actually, I'm just a worrier when it comes to IVF, so you should try to be less worried than me!

Edited by MeerkatManor

Wonderstruck

Green Lady...Good luck for the bloods, the NIPT is a pretty quick turn around right? Not long till that scan, the last week will fly by!

The nausea is awful isn't it. I had all day nausea and terrible food aversions from 5 weeks, I had to constantly eat despite feeling gross and having no idea what I felt like.

I got hardly any work done in those weeks and ate absolute crap and a lot of juice, soft drink and sugar...only things that seemed to help.

I also take those Elevit morning sickness tabs, was doing morning and night, now just morning. They do help a little.

I'm feeling bit better now. I still have bad days and gag randomly but I'm improving I think.

Smoo - I haven't thought about daycare yet - we might be able to swing it with flexible work and grandparents for the first year...I don't know if we'll be living in the same area as our place is tiny and we likely can't afford to buy a bigger one here...no idea where we will be in 2 years lol.

Glad to see you making plans and so happy you got lucky, you really deserved it!

I promised a photo, this is my announcement we've been sending around...Edited to take out personals.

Green lady

Meerkatmanor - the 2 weeks will go quicker than you think! Everyone says morning sickness is different with every pregnancy.

McBubba - cute announcement. I've never been that inventive!

The only time I feel better is when I eat something . Been trying to eat grapes or some other fruit at my desk to stop myself eating rubbish.

Edited by Green lady

Wonderstruck

I've craved fruit, there isn't much around cam't wait for spring/summer fruit. I also found rice cakes with vegemite (which give me heartburn at the moment) helped otherwise crap like salt and vinger chips, lollies etc.

Smoo

my morning sickness has finally passed thankfully, also all day sickness, not quite as bad as last time but still pretty bad

Meerkat - the only good thing about ms is that it reassures you that the baby is probably ok, i'd still rather not have it so you might be lucky

McBubba - can you afford/want daycare near work? if they're not charging to go on waiting lists it may be worth getting on anyway, i love your announcement

Wonderstruck

Glad to hear you're feeling well Smoo.

I will have to look into day care. It seems so early but know how in demand it is, especially in my area. Still trying to accept the fact this is happening...announcing made me feel like something might go wrong despite excellent scan results.

Might feel reassured after seeing OB this week.

Still some nausea, now getting headaches/migraines that I'm having to hit with the panadine...feel bad but if I don't hit it, it makes the nausea worse.

Constipation is starting to hit. Thought I escaped it but its here now. Thinking of trying probiotics to help.

Craving salads, fruit and fresh foods, likely due to my atrocious diet in first trimester...can't wait till the nice fruit is around...sucks you're not supposed to eat prepared salads etc...would live some nice salads and rice paper rolls...looks like I'll need to make my own...

How's the nausea Green Lady...

Green lady

Nausea still there but I don't think it's as bad. Mine tends to escalate from about 5 pm onwards. I've stopped taking the elevit morning sickness tablets as I did an experiment and didn't take them for a day and did t feel any different. I think they definitely took the edge off in the beginning but not so much now.

In all other pregnancies I have been constipated but not so much this one so far. I have made a big effort to drink lots of water ( well lots for me as a poor water drinker), possibly around 2 litres throughout the day. According to DH, who is a Dr, keeping up the fluids and fruit should help.

Wonderstruck

I was great at drinking water during IVF but it being winter and the m/s makes it hard. Trying to though.

I've been uping the fruit and it has helped.

Your poor thing, the m/s sucks I'm still getting there with mine but I found the point where you are worse.

Doctors kept telling me it was a great sign but I just wanted to punch them for saying it!

MeerkatManor

I'm bracing myself for all day sickness to hit (previously very bad). Thankful - touch wood - that I can still eat at the moment. Hope yours get better soon, McBubba, Green Lady and Smoo.

Yes constipation in pregnancy is just the most annoying thing! The most effective for me seemed to be a big bowl of porridge with prunes, plus a litres (yes, 1L!) of water in the morning. It was a couple of years after the births before I could bring myself to eat porridge again though...

McBubba, super cute photo! How did people react when they saw it? It probably wouldn't have come as a complete surprise to close family and friends?

Wonderstruck

People were excited but a lot new anout the IVF process and what we went through so were expecting it.

A few who didn't picked up small things like not drinking etc.

Excited for OB appointment on Monday. My last real one was at 7+3 (I had two rushed reassurance scans after little bleeds in between that) so will be nice to see how it is all going, see bub and get an idea of what happens next.

Slowly getting energy back and nausea is mild so hoping its on its way out.

Got some friends visiting this weekend so will be nice to get out.

Hope the wait for scans and test results goes quick for you ladies!!!

Wonderstruck

Hi all,

Hope you are all doing well.

Had my second OB appointment today at 13+1.

All is well. Did a super quick scan and bubs is growing well. The difference in a week is crazy.

My BP has been low throughout early pregnancy which OB says explains my slight dizziness it was 95/60...my pre-pregnancy BP was between 110/70 and 120/80. OB said BP is fine but just get up etc slowly to avoid dizziness.

DH and I have a trip for a Hunter Valley wedding in late September and are taking in a minibreak on the end to Port Stevens so asked OB for something pregnancy save for the travel as I usually require something for travel sickness. He gave me Restavit...anyone taken this before? Any tips.

Otherwise got my referral for my 19 week scan and will see OB at 20 weeks, I think the appointments after that get more regular.

Apparently now just got to keep growing the baby and just wait :)

Nausea is getting better day by day but now the headaches seem to make me a little nauseous...I am finding the nausea easier to keep at bay by eating so bringing lots of little snacks to work.

I'm also finding the constipation a little better now I have a slightly better diet.

MeerkatManor

McBubba, wonderful to hear your appointment went well!

Wonderstruck

Not long till your scan now...got my fingers crossed.

How are you feeling?

Smoo

McBubba I was prescribed restavit but I only ended up taking it once had a long day of travel and meetings at work while i was still trying not to let on i was pregnant. I tried not to take it since although my FS prescribed it, it had a giant warning label on it saying not for pregnancy. Then again the maxolon i took during previous pregnancy is now no longer considered safe to take daily so go figure.

I am quite enjoying be able to eat again, probably too much, oh well

unfortunately porridge does nothing for me, taking metamucil yuck

20 week scan is on thursday, DS will be late for school so he can take a look

• Like 1