Sign in to follow this  
Renee4651

Premature twins

Renee4651

Hi my twins were born at 33 weeks and they have noticed my older one who is also the smaller one born 4 pound 9 has a recedimg chin and also a lopsided bottom gum. They have told me his jaw did not develop properly. One side has grown longer than the other. Has anyone else had this happen? If i can post a pic i will

Fright bat

It sounds like perhaps a mild form of hemifacial microsomia? Not common but not uncommon. You will undoubtedly see a paediatric plastic surgeon experienced in treating it (and depending on severity it may not need treatment at all, or can wait until your child is older). Your baby will be assessed in due course for other things that might be affected - ears, muscles and fat in the face, nerves that move the facial muscles, and the eye socket. There are literally a million and one things that may or may not be offered... But right now it's unlikely to affect your new baby, so mostly it will be a watch and see approach (as long as there are no issues with your babies ability to breathe due to a small jaw).

Please don't stress too much about it in the short term - it's a common enough issue that we know an awful lot about it, and Australia certainly has plenty of experts more than capable of making sure everything turns out ok!

• Like 2

lucky 2

Hi Renee4651,

I have moved your topic into the Babies Born Early Forum, I hope you receive some helpful feedback.

Kind regards,

lucky 2