Bidi

Due in March 2017 - Hello

blue_wren

So I was just refused my scan ... Got there late because there was no parking anywhere, then I stupidly admitted that I had been to the toilet to let a bit out (I have a bit of a medical condition but the dr said it would be okay to do that). She was so rude about it that I burst into tears and left sobbing, no doubt looking like an idiot to the full waiting room. I'm so embarrassed and letdown :(

New appointment at a different place tomorrow. Never going back there after the way she treated me. I know to them it's just another scan and that yes, it was my fault, but a bit of compassion would have been nice :(

EJ79

blue_wren

Thanks EJ79! I know, I wanted to tell her that I'd probably just end up needing the internal because it's so early but by that stage I was too wound up to do it, could imagine myself yelling it at her instead.

I feel so bad for my husband, but he's being lovely about it.

Thanks again for being so kind - nice to have somewhere to vent!

EJ79

borboleta14

Hi Ladies.

Blue_wren i would be furious! You poor thing :( I don't blame you for booking elsewhere!

It's been an up and down week for me. I'm 7 weeks today (EDD 20th March), and after having good serial hcgs during the week (last one was 47000), i then woke up in a pool of blood on Saturday morning.

Since then it's mostly been spotting.

I had a scan booked for today anyway as my last dating scan was too early to be accurate, and it showed mixed results.

On the plus side, it showed a healthy looking bub with a heart rate of 147. Gee that was exciting seeing that little flicker!

On the downside i have a very large subchorionic haematoma. It is taking up about 60% of the uterine space. Fortunately the cervix was closed on the scan.

I'm due for my first OB appt in 3 days time so will probably find out more then and maybe get a repeat scan to see what's happening. I know they're very very common but larger ones are associated with worse outcomes so I'm crossing my fingers (and my legs!) At the moment.

Hope everyone else is travelling ok.

culture nerd

Blue_wren, that sounds terrible. I'd be writing a letter of complaint to the practise manager.

Borboleta, that sounds so worrying. Having experienced the worst possible outcome of an unresolved haematoma, please look after yourself and advocate strongly for your care team to monitor things. Yes, haematomas are relatively common in the first trimester but they are also a risk factor. I really hope yours reduces and disappears quickly for you, causing no major issues.

As to my dating confusion I'm not sure if I will push for another scan, there isn't anything that can be done one way or another and i guess we'll find out soon enough if the dates are right, wrong or if there is a problem.

borboleta14

Thanks culture nerd.

I've got a great GP and whilst i don't meet the OB till Thursday I've heard wonderful things about him from friends so I'm sure I'll be looked after. But yes - it is definitely worrying.

I actually had 2 dating scans due to some uncertainty. My cycles are really irregular - first scan put me at 5 weeks but because it was only a gestational sac and yolk sac i was told it might not be accurate. Repeat scan today gave the same dates.

Is a long time to wait till 12 weeks. Perhaps if you don't repeat scan you could get some reassurance from serial hcg's?

Good luck x

MerryClumsyXmas

Yikes, borboletta, i hope it all works out. That sounds terrifying but glad you have a good GP :)

blue wren, i hope theres somewhere else you can go so that you dont have to face that nasty person again.

well, i had my first scan this morning. mixed emotions.

deflated: not as far along as i hoped

relieved: it's all happening in my uterus (after so long to conceive and also after watching someone close to me go through an ectopic i was terrified of losing a tube like she did) and it appears to be on track

anxious: have to wait 2 more weeks for a genuine viability scan

As i'd suspected, my crazy cycles have thrown the dates out by a week and a half so I'm only measuring 5 weeks and 2 days :/ there's a gestational sac and a yolk sac... was kind of hoping to see a baby (a tiny baby. but a baby)

mlc77

Clumsy86 - Yay! You're 5wks2ds! Focus on how awesome that is! No 'just' or 'only' - you're pregnant and things look good! Just try and relax and wait out the next few weeks - you'll be OK!

I'm still feeling like sh*t all day, most days. Not vomiting, just feeling like I 90% need to, all day and night. Just popped a Maxolon for the first time to see if it helps. Can't recall being this crook last time, but might just be being six years older and not being able to rest as much.

9wks and 2ds for me today. Heartbeat was visible and showed up on trace last week but was still too early to hear it, so those of you at 5-6wks might just need to be patient (so hard, I know!) and not set your expectations for early scans too high. Our Bub at 8wks 4ds was just a blob with a flickering heart. Not much else to see at this stage when total length is just 2.5cm!

Oh, for just a day off this nausea! So glad they confirmed there's only one in there. Felt bad enough I was worried!!

Hope the rest of you are having a good day.

:)

Jellybean5

Blue Wren hope the new place is nicer to you and no more trouble

Borboleta sounds scary, it's good you have great dr, hope you have a trouble free pregnancy from here on

Clumsy great news it's not ectopic

Mlc hope your macaron helps and yay for seeing the heartbeat

I had my second scan today, was busting for the toilet, the dr had hospital rounds first and was 30 minutes late then 1 before me lol, he had a little trouble finding it today but finally did and it has developed into some kind of baby still no heartbeat visible but he said it should be and he wasn't worried at all. I'm on 1 Elevit but he has asked me to take an extra folate tablet and another scan in 2 weeks. He had a little measure and it looks between 7.5-8 weeks so at this stage my end is the same.

blue_wren

Oh Borboleta, how scary! Fingers crossed for you. Must have been great to see that heartbeat though!

Clumsy, I know how you feel about the deflated thing. But things seem good, so yay! Like mlc said, focus on the good :)

Jellybean - yay for you too! Would be so awesome to finally find the little bean hiding in there.

AFM I had my scan today (at a MUCH nicer place). There's no yolk sac so of course no heartbeat. The gestational sac has grown since the last scan, it's now 15mm from 9mm at the last one. Apparently if it reaches 25mm with no yolk sac it's a miscarriage. So that means I have to hang in for another scan next week.

The limbo is awful. I still have pregnancy symptoms (sickness, headaches, sore boobs) but my body just might not be realising there's anything happening. I would just like an answer either way TBH.

Anyway, back to the dr on Thurs, probably yet another hcg test, and a scan next week. Sigh!

SydSurprise

I had a 7 week dating scan last week and all was well. Yolk sack and a little tiny baby with a lovely heart beat. I had some slight cramping since then so the OB did her own scan yesterday and the baby was still happy. 145bpm if I remember right.

The all day sickness, wind, bloating etc was debilitating so I stopped taking Elevit and it is much better. I'm continuing folate and the OB wants me on Caltrate Plus to boost my vitamin D.

I'm getting a little more comfortable with this surprise baby as each week passes. As the OB said, we were using contraception, not taking vitamins or anything, at 41 this is pretty amazing. I just need more time to rejig my previous expectations of child-free holidays in 8 years (now 18). And there's no room in our house (might have to pop up the tent in the backyard).

culture nerd

Borboleta, I'm guess your OB appt is tomorrow or Friday. Hope it goes well and you get some positive discussion about how you can reduce the potential impact of the haematoma. Thinking of you.

MrsPotatoHead

Borboleta, fingers crossed your haematoma resolves quickly. I had this in my first pregnancy, i can't remember exact sizes but it was big, bigger than the gestational sac at the time. I had weekly scans from 8-12 weeks and was followed up at the early pregnancy unit at my hospital, they were great. I had spotting and days of heavier bleeding from 7-12 weeks. By my 18 week scan there was no sign of the haematoma and i had no more problems. I hope you are one of the many that has no further problems xx

Edited by MrsPotatoHead
  • Like 1

hungryhippo

blue_wren - I'm sorry you had to go through that! What a nasty person. Fingers crossed for your next scan, I hope you see a little baby.

I had my first scan last week and was measuring 6w1d which is about 2 days off what I thought I would be. Saw the little heartbeat too. My next scan is for 10 weeks.

I thought there was a 12 week scan too or does it depend on what your Ob wants? I was told scans are every 4 weeks but if I go in at 10 weeks, I'm wondering if they will want me to go back as soon as 12 weeks. Time will tell I guess.

Morning sickness hit for me last week and it's more of an all day nausea. I've vomited a few times in the morning and then after that it's just a queasy feeling all day. I've had so much ginger that even that is starting to make me queasy...and I've gone off my beloved coffee!

Hope you are all well and not feeling too sick.

borboleta14

Thank you girls for all the supportive comments leading up to the OB appointment today. I'm so impressed some of you even remembered - i only access the forum on my phone which is rather awkward so never really feel like I've got my finger on the pulse fully.

Mrs potato head it's nice to hear someone else has had a happy outcome with a similar problem, thanks for sharing that :)

Blue_wren - good luck at your doctor tomorrow. I can only imagine the anxiety you would be feeling - not knowing what's going on. Keeping my fingers crossed for your little jelly bean to jump up and say hi on your next scan.

I'll let you all know how i go tomorrow. Thanks again for the support - I'm feeling reasonably relaxed but realise it could be bad news. What will be will be.

HeartMyBoys

Hi all. I have a second scan tomorrow after a scan 2 weeks ago showed only a sac and yolk sac. Fingers crossed all is ok. I should be around 7 weeks now

• Like 1

borboleta14

Hi everyone.

Blue_wren i hope your doctor's appointment went well today, and heartmynoys same for your scan too.

I had my OB appointment today which left me feeling reasonably happy. He rescanned me in his rooms and the haematoma is still there but he wasn't majorly worried about it. It's hard to do meaningful measurements on it as it's crescent shaped, but definitely bigger than the gestational sac.

He said there's no specific treatment i need - just wait and watch. Will have another scan in his rooms at the end of next week - mostly for my piece of mind. He's kindly going to bulk bull that too :)

He pretty much said that the majority of haematomas resorb fairly quickly, and he's seen many large ones, even to the point of the patient needing a blood transfusion, resulting in healthy babies.

So whilst I'm very aware that i may not be in that group, i overall feel that he's more optimistic about it than i was which is nice to know.

Meanwhile I'm yet to get any pregnancy symptoms! Maybe this haematoma is the little critter's way of reminding me it's there!

Hungryhippo - yes you're right - there is a 12 week scan if you'd like to check for chromosomal abnormalities such as downs syndrome. For some reason my obstetrician wants to do it at 13 weeks. So that might be a bonus one.

Is anyone else doing the nipt test? Also known as nips or non-invasive prenatal screening test?

• Like 1

culture nerd

Great news borboleta - if I can just recommend that you avoid activities that cause pressure on the uterus (ie sex / heavy lifting etc) as that caused me heavy bleeding even after my haematoma was supposedly reabsorbed and not evident.

I was also going to ask if anyone was thinking of doing the harmony /nipt test. I spoke to DH about it tonight and we'll have a think for a week or so. The cost is a big factor for us.

hungryhippo

borboleta - Yep, I'll do the non-invasive screening. I'm currently living in the US and as far as I am aware, it is covered under my insurance. They don't call it Harmony here, they call it the nuchal translucency test which I thought was the invasive one, but my ob assures me it isn't.

I've booked in to the birth suites at my local hospital in Sydney. I knew it was midwife run, which I preferred, but didn't realise there is an emphasis on using little drugs (i.e. no epidural available). So that's something to think about. I mean, I think I can do it, but this is my first and I don't know what birth will be like.

borboleta14

Thanks culture nerd, i think that's great advice. I had sort of decoded to do that regardless of what the OB told me. It's a small sacrifice for piece of mind.

Yes the cost of the nipt test is not cheap, it's an individual decision for each person depending on circumstances and risk. I'm fortunate that we can afford it, and given I'm 34, my risk for diwns etc is not high but also not low. They can also tell you the gender if you want - which we've decided to find out. What's everyone else's thoughts on finding out the gender?

Hungry hippo are you sure what they refer to as the nuchal translucency test is indeed the new test that looks directly at babies chromosomes in your blood? Just asking because that's the name used for the traditional test that uses a combination of maternal hormone levels and thickness of the nuchal fold in ultrasound. Might just be different terminologies between countries but you might want to double check.

First day of no spotting today for me :) Cause for celebration with an... apple juice!

HeartMyBoys

hungryhippo

Borboleta - maybe that's what it is. I should have asked for more details. I wanted the nipt test that can also tell me the sex of the baby. For some reason I thought nuchal translucency was the test that was invasive and carried more risk to the baby. I think I am mistaken!

Hope you enjoyed your apple juice, ha!

laciem

I wasn't going to do the NIPT test but having spoken to my GP they put forward a very convincing case as to why it is more accurate to do the NIPT + anatomy scan over the nuchal translucency test. I trust them so we will go with that.

That we have any scans and tests available to us to watch along and check for problems is pretty amazing. I do find that I'm most anxious leading up to the tests/scans though as they seem to make me worry where I might otherwise just assume things are fine.

Polka dot

Hungryhippo the nuchal translucency test and nipt/nips (non invasive prenatal testing -harmony is a brand name, there are others companies that offer it) are two different tests in Australia.

The nipt is a blood test that detects fetal dna and can predict with roughly 99% accuracy if there is a chromosomal abnormality. It can also tell you the sex of the baby if you like. The test is done when you are 10 weeks + pregnant.

The nuchal translucency is an ultrasound at 12 weeks that measures the fluid behind the neck and this combined with a blood test gives you a risk ratio ie 1 in 100 chance of Down syndrome. I think it is 75% accurate. The nuchal can also pick up things like Spina bifida I think as well so if you get nipt I think it is also recommended you get the nuchal.

The invasive tests like cvs or amnio are usually done if a nuchal is high risk. I think some people opt for the nipt at this stage now though if they didn't have it earlier.

It's all a bit confusing now that there are so many options!