Sign in to follow this  
biene_maja

Low platelet count before csection - Can anything help increase it?

biene_maja

Hi,

Since about 28 weeks I know that my platelet count has been going down. The last test was at 124 and my OB said under 100 is a problem. I'm due to have a 4th csection in 3 weeks. I got my next bloodtest done today and the nurse said it was taking quite a bit longer to stop bleeding so chances are it has gone down further. So far nobody has said what can be done to increase it. Has this happened to anyone? Are blood tranfusions or Vitamin K shots an option to avoid being put under at the csection?

leosmum

Hang in there OP! My platelet count dropped throughout my pregnancy but it was above 100 at the end, which was fortunate as I had an emergency Caesar (mind you, there was no time for checking the levels right before the birth!). I wasn't offered anything to increase my levels so I'm no practical help to you unfortunately - I just took it that it was a wait and see / cross your fingers thing. I hope someone else can be more helpful! I just wanted to let you know that it can all work out fine in the end and I wish the same for you.

Soontobegran

Mild thrombocytopaenia is quite common in pregnancy and it is unusual that unless there are other health issues for a mum for it to fall below 100.

They will test again but in the meantime it is not usual for intervention of any kind.

Good luck.

lelula

Mine dropped really quickly from 170ish to 140, but hovered around that for ages (I had other complicating factors so my levels had to stay above 140 for my surgery). Apparently it's quite common for platelet levels to plummet then stabilise, so no need to panic just yet. Good luck!

Lallalla

Had this both pregnancies. The only option I heard to raise them was steroids over 3 days in hospital in extremely low cases (

Edited by Lallalla

biene_maja

Thanks everyone. Got my results back from yesterday and it has "only" dropped from 124 to 116 in 3 weeks so hopefully it ll still be above 100 in another 3 weeks (csection date).

Givingitanothergo

My platelet count was 90 the day before my Caesar a week ago. i recall it being mentioned a lot whilst being prepped but I'm not sure what they did to help it. I know DD was checked after birth too