MerryMadrigalMadge

Terrarium party for a 7 yo

MerryMadrigalMadge

DD's 7th birthday is coming up, and she's got her heart set on a terrarium making party.

We have a loose Woodland theme, and I'm fine with making and supplying of the terrarium stuff, but I'm not sure how it will all go.

How long can I sustain a bunch of 7 year olds in making little terrariums and what else can we do if it goes quicker than expected or runs out of puff?

hills mum bec

What a cool idea!

Are you having it at home? I think kids can amuse themselves for at least an hour without any structured activities.

Bereckii

Oh, this sounds fun!

DD's parties usually include one craft activity (occupies kids for about 20 min) and a handful of games. Maybe your terrarium activity might take approx 20 min of their attention too?

PP is right, the kids can entertain themselves with unstructured play, so you could potentially just leave it at that.

If you are looking to add more activities, these ideas might help (all inexpensive and easy to run games that we held at DD's 7th):

- treasure hunt (clues ultimately led to the sandpit, "treasure" buried in the sandpit was just coloured glass beads/stones from the $2 shop)

- pin the wand on the fairy (fairy themed party) (DD painted a fairy on an old piece of cardboard, wands were paddle pop sticks with a paper star glued on)

- musical "chairs" (cardboard from old boxes painted and cut into the shape of mushrooms for the "chairs", ie any child that was not standing on a "mushroom" when the music stopped was "out")

- pass the parcel

DD helped get everything ready for the pin-the-wand and musical chairs games (she LOVES parties and enjoys planning and the creative prep). She did not know about the treasure hunt or pass-the-parcel in advance (so there was still some "mystery" about the party for her to get excited about and enjoy with her friends) I think the kids loved musical "chairs" and the treasure hunt the best.

• Like 2

cira

Is there any chance she'd settle on a very small terrarium party? I'm thinking 2 friends, briefed and excited about the idea. I imagine some kids would LOVE this activity and settle in for an hour or so.

Porkypiggy

I gave my DD a terrarium kit (which i made up) for her 6th birthday. It was good - but she made it up pretty quickly (like in 5 min) because everything was ready. You might need to also have other activities.. Maybe painting some little plaster figurines to put in the terrarium?

• Like 2

MerryMadrigalMadge

Hi, just wanted to provide an update…

We had the terrarium party, 9 children in total, and it was a hit!

We found fish bowls in a $2 dollar shop, had most of the pebbles/bonsai/charcoal/sphagnum moss anyway, and we hit the local op-shop for dreadful necklaces that we cut up for the beads and glass stones, went to our local park for little twigs, gumnuts, mini pinecones, Bunnings for river stones and coloured pebbles, EBAY for a few miniatures, a neighbour for a collection of succulent cuttings and our local nursery who gave us a discount on a bulk purchase of cacti.

Kids took almost an hour to do the whole thing, covered the bowls in stickers as well, ran around the backyard for a while, and we got so much positive feedback from parents, with the kids being so proud of their creations.

Our first at-home party, and I think we came out at about $18 a head, and DD loved it.

• Like 14

cira

I'm glad it went so well. It sounds like you sourced a fantastic range of decorations.

miss mia

My 3 year old dd recently did a terrarium class, it ran for about 30 mins. She loved it.

She goes to a lot of classes and so far I have found the best method is giving a demonstration first, like this is how I do all the layers etc, etc and finally this is the end product.

The terrarium class teach insisted on showing how to do the dirt, then everyone did the dirt, the doing the sand and then everyone did the sand etc. it made the class really stop/start. My 3 yo loves knowing what to do and then just being left alone to do it.

Good luck, it is a really fun activity

Moneypenny2014

I was so excited to see this post as my DD (almost 8) is having a garden party in a few weeks time. I was thinking about letting the girls make little fairy gardens and sourcing everything from Ebay (so much cheap fairy stuff from China!)

So glad to hear your party went well and the kids loved it.

• Like 1

MerryMadrigalMadge

I was so excited to see this post as my DD (almost 8) is having a garden party in a few weeks time. I was thinking about letting the girls make little fairy gardens and sourcing everything from Ebay (so much cheap fairy stuff from China!)

So glad to hear your party went well and the kids loved it.

Good to hear! Start collecting stuff from bike paths, parks etc - we spray painted some and the kids loved them.

Enjoy!

HolleyShiftwell

wrong thread

Edited by HolleyShiftwell