ClarkeTribe

Thermomix and Large Family

AsperHacker

I love my slow cooker too. I'm super talented in that I can use a slow cooker and a thermomix for the different things they were designed for. And I get leftovers from both too! Whoda thunk?!?

• Like 2

Lees75

I am a working single mum, and didn't have a working oven until a few weeks ago. I use both my thermomix and my slow cooker a lot.

I find that most thermomix things I cook make about 6 medium adult serves- various pasta sauces, tuna mornay, chili con carne, etc. So for me, in conjunction with my Tupperware pasta cooker and rice cooker, I can have dinner on the table within 20 mins if necessary, while also helping kids with homework, doing the washing etc.

Edited by Lees75

T2Mum

I have a family of six and love my Thermomix. (TM5) Best feature is that it enables me to do fairly large quantities of food, extremely quickly with very little input or effort required from me. If I want to make an extra to freeze I just make two batches. Eg preparing and cooking lasagne mince on stove might take 30-60mins. Cooking in thermie will take 10-15 (and I am needed to be there for only 2-5 mins of that time). I would never have made pizza dough from scratch, but now I can just throw in ingredients and press a few buttons and it is done. I make enough dough to make 10 pizzas. Pie fillings, risotto, soup (again I make a double batch), are all awesome. Non-fried fried rice is also fantastic and would easily feed a family of six. I think it is just a question of finding recipes that work for you and your family. I don't think you would need 2 Thermomixes - I don't even have an extra bowl.

T2Mum

deleted double post

Edited by T2Mum

AsperHacker

I have a family of six and love my Thermomix. (TM5) Best feature is that it enables me to do fairly large quantities of food.

It so does not! People who don't have one says it doesn't.

• Like 2

ekbaby

We are 2 adults 3 children, about twice a week we feed 2 extra aduts as well. Last year we had 5 adults and 3 kids living under one roof here for about 6 months (one of the kids was only just on solids though). I've kept using the thermomix regularly through all of that.

Like many PP I don't tend to use it for "all in one" meals that often. If we do an "all in one" varoma style meal (rice, steamed fish or chicken, veg etc) it tends to do just the right amount for us. If we do risotto we have leftovers.

But mostly I tend to use it for snacks/parts of meals. Eg pizza dough (we'll make 12 pizzas at once when people come over- partner might make a couple of batches of dough but it doesn't take much extra time). Curries- the skinnymixers blog has good ideas of how to convert curries to slow cooker- so I'll make the sauce from scratch in the thermie (i.e. indian, thai curries etc - not from packets) then put it in the slow cooker with 1.5kg of meat to make a *huuuge* batch that can be divvied up. Meatballs, pizza scrolls, mini muffins etc, stuff we can freeze for school lunches. Dips. Pastry for making home made pies.

Lotsostorm

Two adults and 4 kids here and it makes plenty of food for us. If I do a all in one pasta dish for example it will feed us all and DH will have leftovers to take to work.

YodaTheWrinkledOne

Family of 4. It just makes enough custard for my mob, LOL!

But seriously, I don't use it for "all-in-one" meals. But we usually get left-overs from whatever I have cooked.

But in hindsight, I wouldn't buy one again if I could have a thermo do-over.

AsperHacker

Family of 4. It just makes enough custard for my mob, LOL!

You have to be putting next to no sugar in then! Every custard recipe I've ever made would serve 10 because it's just too rich and sweet! Thermo lovers love their sugar and salt!

Eta make that every online recipe I've ever made. Half the sugar and salt and you serve another half as many.

Edited by AsperHacker

*Jasmine*

I'm from a small family (of 3) but big dinner eaters. I find you can do one component in it at a time, but we're also big on 'sides' even with things like pasta we'll have a side of salad or cooked veges.

I'm not a die-hard fan and I don't use it for everything, but I definitely use it for a sauce and will have the rice on the stove at the same time for example.

I don't know how well it would feed larger families who want the all-in-one type meals in the bowl only, but don't forget it also has the steamer on top as well!

Lesley225

I've been watching a few videos on youtube trying to understand why people like the thermomix over the past few days and I don't get it.

I steam things all the time on the stove top, I have a tiger rice cooker, kitchen aid and food processor and pressure cooker. Most of the recipes I saw I wouldn't eat due to allergies.

I don't understand why they say that it makes cooking from scratch easier, if I can't be bothered cooking them I wouldn't bother using the thermomix.

gracie1978

I would have liked a thermie but I wouldn't have used it enough, we tend to roast/fry/grill quite a bit and we already had a slower cooker, food processor, rice cooker, steamer etc.

However I do enjoy the bellini, it makes fab soup, cake mix, pasta sauce etc

~Jolly_F~

I've been watching a few videos on youtube trying to understand why people like the thermomix over the past few days and I don't get it.

I steam things all the time on the stove top, I have a tiger rice cooker, kitchen aid and food processor and pressure cooker. Most of the recipes I saw I wouldn't eat due to allergies.

I don't understand why they say that it makes cooking from scratch easier, if I can't be bothered cooking them I wouldn't bother using the thermomix.

I never steamed on the stovetop, rarely cooked rice before as it was always crap, now I do those things and more, like make yoghurt, butter, vanilla essence, pizza dough, the list goes on.

Most people I know have a thermomix because of allergies and/or other health issues. It has changed their lives.

It makes cooking from scratch easier because I dont have to chop, stir, peel and so on. I literally throw the stuff in and it does it. If I cant be bothered cooking I know I can put some stuff in the thermomix and in 20 minutes have a meal with minimum work.

A thermomix isnt for everyone, not everyone likes them or the price or the method of cooking but for a lot of people they have changed their lives.

• Like 3

Green Sage

You can obviously cook. So you may not use it much. However, a lot of people actually can't and dont cook from scratch, a LOT of people. These people really struggle with cooking for allergies and cooking for health. For them the thermomix not only teaches them how to cook from scratch but makes it simple, quick, and introduces them to a whole community of recipes and tips. For those people it's a life changer.

I'm like you, I cook from scratch often, I can make spag Bol on the stove top in under 30 minutes anyway, so for me, and someone like you, it more of a luxury purchase that replaced my food processor, and does the odd recipe for me as well, like rosotto or custard or shortbread.

I still find it quicker to make dinner with pots and pans using whatever happens to be in my pantry too, cause I neve have the right ingredients handy for half the thermie recipes.

But I still like using it for lots of things, sometimes I'll use it three times in one day, sometimes I won't use it all week.

EvesCristina

Good advice from PPs to explain how the Thermomix is of benefit to different users with a range of technical ability :) Prior to kids, I spent very little time in the kitchen & had a very limited skill set in creating healthy meals & snacks from scratch. With the help of the Thermomix & the massive range of simple recipes available online, I find it super easy to make all sorts of healthy goodies for the kids to feast on. It definitely helps me be more productive with my time. Last night, I set the 400g of brown rice to cook for 35mins & was able to get a lot more done during that time than what I could had the rice needed stirring on a stove top.

Over the years, I have prepared entire meals with only one hand free because the other has been holding a baby. I have always felt safe to cook with a bub in my arms because the food is cooked in the sealed bowl (heaven forbid there is an issue with the seal!). This is one of the criticisms from those that truly love cooking & want to enjoy the entire sensory experience of cooking as you do not see & smell the food to the same degree...

I can understand how accomplished cooks may not enjoy using the Thermomix, nor have a need for it if they already have a well stocked kitchen with lots of other tools to draw on. But, for me, I rely on it to cook practically every meal for my family & it gets flogged countless times a day for other healthy snacks :) 6 years on &, after it's first service recently, it is still going strong! Given the time & money saved & health benefits to my tribe, I definitely feel I have gotten my money's worth :)

Amica

I think they are another bench ornament and not designed with large families in mind especially growing families.

The stingy design of it allows for meals for two or maybe two adults and two kids with small appetites but that's stretching it.

You would need two or three of the things when a good quality stock pot would do.

I did research and honestly do not see their appeal.

This. I just couldn't see the appeal at all. I even did the whole party thing. Frankly my pan and gas stove do a brilliant job for about $2000 less.

I just think there's better places to spend 2grand. And it's not on a kitchen appliance.

Just read all the thread. You seriously cannot find one TM thread ANYWHERE on the web without one, two or more people chiming in, who don't have one, saying how they are no good or wont get used. It's so frigging predictable!

I have two 'kitchen ornaments'! A TM31 and a TM5. I was planning on selling the former when I upgraded, but in the end I just couldn't bare to part with it. '2grand' is neither here nor there. It has saved me $2000. The $2000+ that I spent on our DVD collection, now THAT is a waste!

Apart from soup, I rarely use my TMs for all in one meals. It's main purpose is jams, spreads, pastes, custard, sauces, prep work, dough and pastry and more. Last weekend though we had guests. I had my rice going in my TM31 and a butter chicken in the TM5. It fed 4 adults and 3 kids just fine, with one bowl of leftovers. That was using a Tikka Paste I made from scratch and the flavours were divine. For lunch that day we did Caesar salads and I made the Caesar dressing. My aunt couldn't stop raving about it.

Usually though we are a house with 2 adults, and 3 kids that each eat more than us. It serves us that night and usually some leftovers the next day just fine. I have used my slow cooker maybe twice ever. I actually had it in a garage sale 2 Saturdays ago but I couldn't even give it away. I had $2 each on my DVDs (some still sealed!) that I paid $25 each for. None sold. Such a waste of 2 grand.

Edited by B.feral3
  • Like 3

Acidulous Osprey

Heston Blumenthal has tmxes in his kitchens as do many other chefs.

They are not just for beginner cooks. I love mine.

• Like 3

Lesley225

Thanks, some interesting comments above. Perhaps I wasn't thinking about it in the right way or with the right attitude. It was all the now I can cook things from scratch which threw me. As I couldn't understand why you couldn't anyway. And that most of the recipes that people say make that are essential seem to be all dairy which I don't eat.

I can see some advantages in being able to grind so well but not enough to buy one when I think I can do nearly everything else that it does with current equipment.

IamtheMumma

Just read all the thread. You seriously cannot find one TM thread ANYWHERE on the web without one, two or more people chiming in, who don't have one, saying how they are no good or wont get used. It's so frigging predictable!

I have two 'kitchen ornaments'! A TM31 and a TM5. I was planning on selling the former when I upgraded, but in the end I just couldn't bare to part with it. '2grand' is neither here nor there. It has saved me $2000. The $2000+ that I spent on our DVD collection, now THAT is a waste!

Apart from soup, I rarely use my TMs for all in one meals. It's main purpose is jams, spreads, pastes, custard, sauces, prep work, dough and pastry and more. Last weekend though we had guests. I had my rice going in my TM31 and a butter chicken in the TM5. It fed 4 adults and 3 kids just fine, with one bowl of leftovers. That was using a Tikka Paste I made from scratch and the flavours were divine. For lunch that day we did Caesar salads and I made the Caesar dressing. My aunt couldn't stop raving about it.

Usually though we are a house with 2 adults, and 3 kids that each eat more than us. It serves us that night and usually some leftovers the next day just fine. I have used my slow cooker maybe twice ever. I actually had it in a garage sale 2 Saturdays ago but I couldn't even give it away. I had $2 each on my DVDs (some still sealed!) that I paid $25 each for. None sold. Such a waste of 2 grand.

Made curry in mine tonight. It fed 2 adults, 2 teens (big appetites) and leftovers for me to take to work tomorrow. The bowl (TM5) wasn't even 2/3 full.

AsperHacker

Thanks, some interesting comments above. Perhaps I wasn't thinking about it in the right way or with the right attitude. It was all the now I can cook things from scratch which threw me. As I couldn't understand why you couldn't anyway. And that most of the recipes that people say make that are essential seem to be all dairy which I don't eat.

I can see some advantages in being able to grind so well but not enough to buy one when I think I can do nearly everything else that it does with current equipment.

I rarely grind stuff. When I do its a batch and I don't have to do it again any time soon.

I can do everything on my stove top, oven or with a knife too. For me, the difference is between cooking spag bol in half an hour on the stove, watching it, stirring it, turning my sh*tty stove down or up... and turning on the thermo and walking away, bathing kids, cleaning kitchen or lounge, sitting on my button and waiting for it to sing that it's ready. I don't chop onion in 2 minutes, I chop it in 5 seconds. I don't whisk my bechamel, I chuck it in the thermo. I don't have to wash up pans, I put water and a drop of detergent in the thermo and turbo a few times.

I've sold most of my other equipment, still have my rice cooker and slow cooker. I even sold my bright purple kmix and food processor. I loved them.

Sometime I cook "real food". I love my Thermomix and I can cook too. Sometimes we have a three course meal of seared scallops, paella and (sorry can't think of a desert I can't do in the thermo!) or a roast or over baked fish. And sometimes we have spaghetti bol or curry from the thermo, when I need to set and forget.

It's a godsend on a weeknight and brilliant for massive cook ups on weekends. It's so easy for dough even though sometimes I need the cathartic effect of kneading pasta dough so I do it by hand.

You don't have to be convinced that it's the ultimate appliance for you. I doubt anyone here is trying to sell you one.

Lesley225

No but I've been fascinated by them and love kitchen equipment but have been trying to understand their appeal. So I decided to watch a ton of vids as I've never really seen one to see if I could understand the magic.

And yes i can see there are some things it might be handy for but still don't really ge tit esp as I already have everything else. So I still don't quite get the enthusiasm which is why I was asking questions.

Perhaps if I saw one up front - I wouldn't mind seeing a demo but not sure how you would do that.

gemgirl

I have a very large family, and it makes plenty of food for us! Granted I don't have teenagers yet, but I'll easily be able to adapt to that, I'm sure.

That said, sometimes I may make two meals (meat & vegetarian) or some sides, but the Thermomix makes such large quantities and so quickly and easily that it's easier for me to cook two full meals in the Thermomix than it would be to do one any other way. We then use leftovers for lunch, for dinner the next night or to freeze, but there's always plenty of food left over.

I still enjoy using my slow cooker and simple slow cooker meals are very easy. So, for example, the other night we had guests. I mixed up a full vegetable lasanga (to oven bake) in the TMX, but I made bolognaise sauce in the crockpot. When I got home that evening, I cooked the pasta in the TMX for the bolognaise, put the lasanga in the oven, and dinner for four adults and 7 kids was ready. It was no more than 20 minutes of effort on my part.

You could get the same result with two slow cookers, or a pressure cooker, so I'm not surprised some people don't get the appeal. I, personally, can't imagine having a busy life and a large family without a Thermomix.

Slow cookers are great, but do require planning. Although I am a meal planner, sometimes I just don't have anything planned (my partner and I share cooking, but some days I decide to cook on DP's night because I prefer cooking and can give DP the night 'off').

The other night I came home and didn't know what to cook. Within 15 minutes we had Singapore noodles ready, with tofu (vegetarian) and chicken (I used leftover chicken for this particular night). If I was relying on the slow cooker, I couldn't have left my plan til the 'last minute'.

I note a few of the comments are quite negative about the Thermomix - as PP said, no one is forcing you to buy one. It's not for everyone. We're sharing our positive experiences with it, but not insisting that everyone love it. It's made my life so easy, so I'm happy to share but I'm not a consultant or anything, I don't get anything if you buy or don't buy, I really don't mind. So if you don't like them, don't buy one, but if you're wondering about getting one and how it would work with a large family, I say yes, it absolutely works for a large family. I love cooking, and always have, and I still love my TMX.

Edited by gemgirl
  • Like 1

EmmDasher

Perhaps if I saw one up front - I wouldn't mind seeing a demo but not sure how you would do that.

Hahaha that's the easy bit. Call a consultant and tell them you want to see it in real life and they'll be delighted to come round and show you. Free food for you and a sales op for them. Win for everyone.

~Jolly_F~

No but I've been fascinated by them and love kitchen equipment but have been trying to understand their appeal. So I decided to watch a ton of vids as I've never really seen one to see if I could understand the magic.

And yes i can see there are some things it might be handy for but still don't really ge tit esp as I already have everything else. So I still don't quite get the enthusiasm which is why I was asking questions.

If you have everything else and dont want to part with that stuff, then its probably not for you.

I moved states sold every kitchen appliance I owned and replaced them with a thermomix and then a second.

Lots of people do the same thing, sell all the other appliances and just have a thermomix.

For those who dont like cooking especially from scratch a thermomix makes that easier. I know people who never cooked a thing from scratch, always packets who now never use packets.

Like has been said not everyone gets them but for a lot of people they are life changing!!

IamtheMumma

If you have everything else and dont want to part with that stuff, then its probably not for you.

I moved states sold every kitchen appliance I owned and replaced them with a thermomix and then a second.

Lots of people do the same thing, sell all the other appliances and just have a thermomix.

For those who dont like cooking especially from scratch a thermomix makes that easier. I know people who never cooked a thing from scratch, always packets who now never use packets.

Like has been said not everyone gets them but for a lot of people they are life changing!!

I really wish the TMX could roast, then I'd never need an oven again.

I was a packet/jar person pre thermomix. Now I make sauces/pastes from scratch in the TMX. It tastes so much nicer than the jar stuff. I'm seriously impressed with what I can make in it. The kids love it too.

If the price tag is off putting then have a look at other thermocookers. Bellini has a huge following and their machine is a little gem. There's a FB group called Bellini Addicts. Very welcoming and they are very happy to share their knowledge.