ClarkeTribe

Thermomix and Large Family

ClarkeTribe

Hi all!

Okay, confession time. I have never seen a Thermomix in action. I have no idea how it works. But, we are having a party this coming weekend and plan to purchase one.

DH has paid one off before only to have it disappear with the XW. He used it a lot and missed it. (Have been hearing the story multiple times over the past two-three years.)

I guess my greatest concern is about how well it scales to our large family.

Does anyone have one? Do large families get two or just get extra accessories? (I don't even know what parts there are!)

Help! Please word me up ready for next weekend!

Edited by ClarkeTribe

Feral_Faylie

I'd say you would need two.

LUV-MY-KIDS

I have a friend with 4 kids, ranging 16 to 10 and they have 3. The kids have a lot of allergies and intolerances, so my friend makes absolutely everything herself from scratch and is constantly cooking as all 6 in the family only eat out of her kitchen. For the 3rd one they looked at getting a cheaper machine like a TM but decided in the end to spend the money. They went for the 3rd as they found that they have friends over with kids a lot due to the allergies so she can cook for a small army.

Edited by Catlover9

Neeps

I have a Tmx but have only 2 children. I don't find the size limiting and often cook for 10 over summer when family stay. However, I mainly use it as a food processor to speed up chopping of vegetables. Making batters and doughs and for making cooked sauces, eg béchamel.

I don't often do all in one meals in it because I can make a nicer version on the stove and don't have to listen to the annoying motor. I should think this is where the size may be an issue.

If this one dies I will probably go back to a magimix.

Edited by Peevish
  • Like 1

SplashingRainbows

I don't think you will get full family meals for six from one machine, but you would easily be able to do school snacks, sides (risottos, fried rice, soups etc) and some meat only parts of a meal. The quantity of bolognese sauce would feed six IMO but you need to do the pasta on the stove (as does anyone for that particular meal).

I would only pay for one until you know how you use it.

• Like 2

~Jolly_F~

Get one with an extra bowl, while that offer is on.

I Know someone who has family of 10 and she doesn't do full meals in it but does all her sides, school snacks, breads, sauces, jams, butters in it.

We are a family of 5 and I rarely do full meals in it. I use it for everything else though.

• Like 1

Lou-bags

We're only a family of 3 (soon to be 4) but I just wanted to second two points PPs have made.

Many people only use them for components of meals, and sides, rather than full all in one meals. This is what I do. Despite owning and liking my TMX, I am not a member of the "it does everything" fan club. I don't like the way it cooks meat, for example, so I don't do those kinds of recipes in there, preferring the stove top.

And the second thing I'm agreeing with is to just get one and see how you like/use it. And definitely go for the second bowl option if there is a cheap offer. I'd quite like a second bowl for mine!

• Like 7

AsperHacker

Edited by AsperHacker

gemgirl

We have a family of 6 and often cook for 7 - 8, and have no problems with the capacity. BUT my kids are much younger than yours, and so smaller appetites. I think it's fine, though - you could cook a large batch of bolognaise sauce, for instance, and then do pasta on the stove top. Or you could do two meals easily. Tonight I did two soups in under an hour, which we served with bread. The best meal I've found that cooks tons is a vegetable pasta dish http://thesunnysideoftown.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/tasty-mega-veg-dinner.html

A lot of large families have two bowls, which would have been useful for two soups.

Get one and see how you go..

And join this group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/thermomixingformany/

Beancat

One of the many reasons I decided not to get one was the lack of capacity. I couldn't do a risotto in it to feed our family of 5. It might be worth checking out the kitchen aid. I think the bowl is 4.5 litres and it has a more powerful heat setting so you can caramelise

• Like 3

IamtheMumma

I have one. When we were a family of 6, I'd cook the main meal (chicken and/or vegetables) in it and cook rice in the rice cooker. Now that I've become a family of 4, I don't use it because it makes too much food. If my mum ate the meals I made in it, then I might be able to use it but basically I pull it out once in a while now to make risotto or custard and thats it.

SeaPrincess

Were a family of 5, and I do cook some meals in it. It is not big enough to cook my bolognese sauce and have leftovers. I usually use it chop the veges and start it off, then transfer to a bigger pot on the stove.

As a PP said, I would get one and an extra bowl if you can, and see how you go. I certainly don't need 2.

Green Sage

Id say for curries, soups, and other all in one meals they generally feed a family of 4, without leftovers if you're hungry. But we are big dinner eaters. I know some people eat smaller meals at dinner time than we do. But I've done thermie meals that have fed hubby and I and out 2 year old and 1 year old and not had any left overs.

But it can also be useful as a prepping machine, but then you can use a cheap food processor for most things.

You would have to plan to do one or two extra side dishes to make it work. Like thermie does a curry, you make the rice, and maybe some vegetables on the stove, or in the thermie once the curry is done.

Or thermie makes a soup as an entree, and you make a light dinner to supplement it.

Or get creative with the steamer while cooking something

There are ace book pages for thermomix and large families I believe.

Personally I think it's a waste of money

• Like 1

Fright bat

Oh how I love my thermomix! I have regularly fed up to 10 people with it, but to make parts of meals - eg sauce in the thermomix but pasta gets cooked on the stove.

I make risotto in it by not adding the veg to the thermomix - I cook just the rice, and anything else (mushrooms, chicken, whatever you're putting in it) gets cooked on the stove, and then the finished risotto stirred through.

It chops far better and faster than a food processor by a good long way, so soup on the stove cooks way faster as you can chop up more veg more quickly. The stock paste is fabulous.

I rarely use the steamer, nor would I bother making rice or pasta in it. It's a tool, not a cooking machine.

~Jolly_F~

I rarely use the steamer, nor would I bother making rice or pasta in it. It's a tool, not a cooking machine.

I love it as a steamer, I never steamed before I got it.

Most of all I love it for the rice. I could never do rice before I got it and now its great every time.

Ohh and mashed potato, so good!!

EvesCristina

I have flogged mine so badly over the last 6 years as our family has expanded from 2 to 5 that some of the buttons have worn away! Nonetheless, the machine keeps going, churning out meal after meal for my tribe :) I very rarely prepare a meal without it but that is because we favour one pot wonders & tend to alternate between using the Thermomix to produce a big pot of curry or some sort to casserole to serve with rice or a big pot of pasta sauce to then serve with pasta cooked on the stove top. We still manage to go 2, sometimes 3, nights from the one big Thermie pot but my 3 bubs are only young so that will change as they grow up. I have found it a massive help to whip up easy & healthy meals effortlessly as so many of the recipes I follow require just a few quick blitzes to get started, quick sauté, few more ingredients thrown in & then time / temp set & forget ;) I would be lost without it!

• Like 1

EmmDasher

I have the TM5 - it has a bigger capacity than the previous model. The recipes are written to feed 6 and are generous in my opinion. DD eats as much as I do. Our family of three gets two meals from most recipes. DD2 will join us soon. If she has an appetite like her sister then we'd probably only get one meal plus leftovers for 2.

I use it for soups, salads, sauces, curries etc. Tonight it was Chicken Cacciatore. The recipe used 900g of chicken so we'll be eating that for days.

Edited by Emmdash

AnotherFeral

I think if your DH misses having one and you can afford it, that is a good enough reason. I think it will still be very useful even if you find it too small to make complete meals.

I am in the group that have one, use one, like it very much and wouldn't choose to be without it, yet do not belong to the somewhat cultish "it does everything" fan club.

• Like 5

sahmie

I like my TM31, and I'd buy it again given my time over (although to be perfectly candid, I wouldn't buy the TM5) however, I do find the bowl size just a tad annoying.

Meal sizes are fine for our family of 4, and like PP's I *mostly* make parts of meals (although there are quite a few all in one Skinnymixer recipes we enjoy).

My issue with the bowl size though is quite often the quantities of ingredients you need are wasteful - ie, 400g mince, when mince is sold in 500g quantities. You can either chuck that extra 100g in, and hope it won't overfill, or you freeze and keep adding little 100g balls of mince to the freezer until you have enough for the next time you need 400g. Bit annoying.

Holidayromp

I think they are another bench ornament and not designed with large families in mind especially growing families.

The stingy design of it allows for meals for two or maybe two adults and two kids with small appetites but that's stretching it.

You would need two or three of the things when a good quality stock pot would do.

I did research and honestly do not see their appeal.

• Like 1

Caribou

I think they are another bench ornament and not designed with large families in mind especially growing families.

The stingy design of it allows for meals for two or maybe two adults and two kids with small appetites but that's stretching it.

You would need two or three of the things when a good quality stock pot would do.

I did research and honestly do not see their appeal.

This. I just couldn't see the appeal at all. I even did the whole party thing. Frankly my pan and gas stove do a brilliant job for about $2000 less.

I just think there's better places to spend 2grand. And it's not on a kitchen appliance.

• Like 3

Bam1

Do either of you have one? Your research doesn't match my actual experience, family of 7 with 3 kids eating like adults and the other 2 not much less. We get full meals out ofthe Thermomix including roast chicken, pasta and rice is cooked separately but the T5 makes enough to usually have some as leftovers.

It's an ornament that has saved me a lot of time, of course a stock pot/pan can do the same thing as long as you are prepared to spend more time on prep work and at the stove. I work so I pretty much made the $2k back in saved time in the first 6 months, but I also save $100 of actual grocery money each week.

• Like 5

Holidayromp

A slow cooker is even bigger. When I cook I like to cook enough for another meal. It has limited appeal for the type of cooking I do.

I make huge savings too without it.

Each to their own I guess.

~Jolly_F~

Do either of you have one? Your research doesn't match my actual experience, family of 7 with 3 kids eating like adults and the other 2 not much less. We get full meals out ofthe Thermomix including roast chicken, pasta and rice is cooked separately but the T5 makes enough to usually have some as leftovers.

It's an ornament that has saved me a lot of time, of course a stock pot/pan can do the same thing as long as you are prepared to spend more time on prep work and at the stove. I work so I pretty much made the $2k back in saved time in the first 6 months, but I also save $100 of actual grocery money each week.

I worked out I made my $2k back in 12 months just by making vanilla essence and yoghurt. So if I added everything else in, it was easily 6 months.

I dont use mine everyday and I rarely cook complete meals in it but it makes my life easier and I figure thats kind of what kitchen appliances are for, nobody needs any of them, they just make life easier.

I have also managed to feed 4 adults and 3 kids a main out of it and we are big eaters.

• Like 2

Bam1

A slow cooker is even bigger. When I cook I like to cook enough for another meal. It has limited appeal for the type of cooking I do.

I make huge savings too without it.

Each to their own I guess.

Yes my slow cooker is my kitchen ornament too time consuming in the morning, I like my sleep but I wouldn't write a post like your initial one because it doesn't work for me, especially if I didn't even own one.

Breakfast this morning was leftover spag bog from the night before and we will have spag bog pies tonight . 2 dinners, 1 breakfast for $12 and 15 mins work each night - works fine for me

• Like 2