Sign in to follow this  
Taylor83

pubic hair question

Taylor83

Im having my 2nd csection in August.

My first section went great but the worst part was getting prepped lol

Due to a huge belly and spd I let grooming downstairs become a bit wild! They used trimmers to get rid of the top inch of pubic hair and the clippers were blunt. It was torture hubby still jokes about it lol

This time ive let it go again. I tried waxing my bikini line the other week and i ended up bruised! Ouch!

I know its not recommended to shave and to be honest it makes it itchy which I want to avoid. Waxing is out of the question until after the birth and hormones etc have settled.

Im assuming a trimmer is ok? If thats what they used.

Is it ok to do the day before or better the morning of?

Also any recommendations on brands that work well? Online is even better as im unwell and prefer online right now.

Thanks so much x

ClarkeTribe

Why not use depillatory cream? (Cream up before a shower and wash away in the shower.) You can do it 2-3 days before and then again before you go in to catch and stragglers.

Fright bat

Not sure I'd be wanting to put cream around those bits!

Clipping is fine. Will DH help you? I'd do it the morning of.

!momo!

The midwives at my hospital suggest no sooner than 3 days before the csection as shaving/ waxing removes the top layer of skin so you are more susceptible to infection the closer you remove the hair. I couldn't wax myself but get it done professionally and find it way less painful than doing it myself.

HRH Countrymel

Get your husband to use the clippers.

BlackButterfly

I got professionally waxed - all off - at about 38 weeks. It didn't hurt any more than normal, but it was a bit awkward with my big belly. Definitely the easiest way to get the hair removed. I was really glad I had it done as i feel it helped my recovery and cleaning down there.

• Like 1

rosie28

Get it waxed professionally, way less painful than doing it yourself and it won't grow back until the incision is well healed. That's what I did the first time and it was vastly superior to clippers the second time (not my choice, I went into labour before my waxing appointments).

• Like 1

LUV-MY-KIDS

If you don't want to wax then shave just before you go in. Get your DH to help you. My OB was very strict on no hair to avoid contamination. He was just straight out if you don't do it to his liking then midwife doing the prep will. My midwife said I passed muster and she confirmed some OB's are fastidious about it. I still remember his theatre nurse having a look down there while I was waiting to go into theatre.

IkeaAddict

Professionally waxed a few days before. Thats what I did. No more painful than any other time.

c.sanders

FYI don't get waxed the week of the birth. ...it ****ing hurts because bub has dropped and far out man...still makes my eyes water......I stupidly did it the day before. the lady was like...umm ...u r ready to give birth now. but mine was a c-section as well

Taylor83

Yes DH will help with whatever I need :)

Razor shaving is out of the question it gets way to itchy!!!

I was told clippers were fine and dont make you itchy?

Maybe I should trial it soon to see :/

Im used to being waxed but not sure ive got the guts to go get it done that close just incase it bruises? A friend got hers waxed right before giving birth she said the waxing lady said bruising etc is common in pregnant women especially towards the end due to hormones and something about blood capillaries?

Guess I could try a trial wax even just bikini line and see how it reacts.

Such an odd topic to be chatting about lol love that I can come here to ask! Thank you all :)

marple

If you don't want to wax then shave just before you go in. Get your DH to help you. My OB was very strict on no hair to avoid contamination. He was just straight out if you don't do it to his liking then midwife doing the prep will. My midwife said I passed muster and she confirmed some OB's are fastidious about it. I still remember his theatre nurse having a look down there while I was waiting to go into theatre.

Dang I've never heard that before! I've been shaved just before a c/s just at the top where the incision is. Why would they need you to shave below. They don't go anywhere near your "bits". I've never had an OB mention it. I've had 3 caesars.

Taylor83

They only shaved the top inch of mine. The only other time is with the catheter.

Noone mentioned it to me beforehand they just did it when I was getting prepped to go in.

*Andi*

I'm also confused about the not near your bits stuff - it's only the top that needs hair removed from. I had a bikini wax a few weeks before my caesar, and asked her to just go a little further down when doing the top bit. Then the midwife went over it with a razor before the caesar.

Elle888

I was pretty much shaved already but the midwife went over it (top bit only) just before surgery for good measure. Never mentioned anything about infection risk shaving too close to surgery time.

I think this time I'll just shave the day before around my scar and leave the rest. I felt a bit bare last time :)

• Like 1

Bird1

Clippers will be fine just get hubby to do it. You may find that the midwife will still go over it when preparing you for your c section

Caribou

I just looked at my c/s scar and it was on the very very top of my bikini line i think they only took off such a small amount!! I didn't have any problems with itchiness or anything. I just kept it trimmed all pregnancy rather than shaved?

Soontobegran

You do not need to get rid of your hair in your lady bits, not for a C/S or catheter insertion.

I understand it might be some people's preference but there is no medical requirement.

A few mms either side of the incision site is all that is needed.

I'd personally leave it to the nurse on admission.

• Like 2

Memly

The hospital I've had my c-sections at have said that they will trim it on admission and ask that you don't wax or shave the area yourself – I think their reasoning is that they want to avoid ingrown hairs, which can then cause an issue with infection. All these things you have to think of... :)

2_little_boys

I was handed a razor and told to shave the morning of my c/sect.

I had been in hospital for 3 days so ample time in advance for them to warn me.

Never had an issue with my scar (externally at least)

alchetta

I haven't had a c sec but I trim regularly with a purpose specific shaver that goes almost to the skin but without any itchy side effect or irritated skin. Your husbands shaver will be fine. Dust your skin liberally with cornflour first to prevent any sticking or catching on skin and shave completely dry. If they do have to use the razor for some reason to get it to bare skin, at least it should only be a small strip and easy to shave with such short hair. Practice first so you feel more comfortable!