Sign in to follow this  
BundahGirl

non-ongoing APS contract

BundahGirl

Hi EBers,

I've just been offered a 12 month non-ongoing position (although it sounds like there may be opportunities to become ongoing) at a Department that I'm quite interested in. I'm just wondering what that means for things like leave etc? Do you get leave? Does your leave transfer? What about long service? I've been at my current employment for a long time, so I don't want to lose that. I'm just trying to work out if it's worth taking the risk in the hope that it becomes ongoing....

thanks.

jayskette

you can apply for unpaid leave at current dept and take the 12mth job at new dept. then ur orig dept leaves stay

• Like 1

Psyduck

Edited by Psyduck

Mrsfroste

As a non-ongoing APS employee, yes you do get leave (you are entitled to accrue sick/personal leave and annual leave) if your contract is not extended or you leave the agency, your annual leave should be paid out as that is what happened in my case when I left an agency to go on another non-ongoing contract at another agency. However, you can not accrue mat leave, long-service leave etc or at least wasn't (you would need to check the Dept's EA to see exactly what you are entitled to).

As someone that started as an on-going for a number of years until I won one of my roles and became permanent in the APS I would take it as you never know what opportunities might come in the future.

I like pp idea of taking unpaid leave from your current job to take the APS role.