GlitterFarts

Sewing Bar #2

DragonsGrace

DSP - I use a Singer 8280. It is basic but ok. It stuffs up a lot with tension and is really fussy with the thread used. I'd love a better machine but I don't really earn enough sewing to be able to justify it. I really want an overlocker though so am waiting for a good sale and Xmas/birthdays to collide so I can get one.

• Like 1

blackcat20

Spent this arvo designing a quilt based on some gorgeous tiles I saw in Italy. Not sure if I should start shopping it around to magazines now or give myself some time to work on a quilt for myself.

• Like 1

DirtyStreetPie

DSP - I use a Singer 8280. It is basic but ok. It stuffs up a lot with tension and is really fussy with the thread used. I'd love a better machine but I don't really earn enough sewing to be able to justify it. I really want an overlocker though so am waiting for a good sale and Xmas/birthdays to collide so I can get one.

We're machine twins! :D

Thanks for the review. I'll keep a lookout for those issues you mentioned. For the moment, it's purring like a kitten. The repair person did a really great job, and he adjusted the feed dogs on my el cheapo Brother for free (it was pulling slightly to the left).

We'll see how the 8280 fares on a big proper project. I'm so impressed at the wonderful professional work you've been able to do on it, as basic as it is.

I'd love an overlocker, too. I've signed up to both the Spotlight and Lincraft mailing lists, in the hope that they'll have an insane sale one day...

DirtyStreetPie

So this just happened.

I've been looking for an overlock foot for my mum's Singer, but even their own website doesn't have them.

So I did something crazy and put my Brother overlock foot on it. And it totally just worked.

Mind. Blown.

Maybe it's common knowledge that you can mix brands, but for me, it's a revelation. And I'm so excited I can now sew garments on the Singer without having to overcast on the Brother. Yay!

I'm off to make some clothes for my boy, just as my mummy did for me. :wub:

Blackcat20 - Have you decided on your next project?

• Like 3

blackcat20

Blackcat20 - Have you decided on your next project?

I have! I'd actually started cutting fabric for a quilt, but sent off a design to a magazine late last week and found out Monday night that they want it! So I need to get busy, it has to be in the UK by the end of November :ninja:

• Like 3

DragonsGrace

Ok so I don't have a pic of the Joker skirt that I'm not in (trying it out lol) but I have some of the Harley Quinn one. I've got to cut them both to length and add the bias binding to the edges but other than that they are both done. Each quarter of the skirt has a different diamond pattern on it but you can get the idea

Edited by DragonsGrace
  • Like 3

GlitterFarts

Finally finished my Snippets quilt. Sending it to someone else to be quilted as its far too massive for me.

https://www.instagra...n-by=blackcat20

Wow BC!! I dont know how you do it!

• Like 1

GlitterFarts

Heeelllooooooo crafty ones!!!

Sorry for the absence - my health is really $#ithouse atm lol but you all seem to be powering on!

Welcome brookelovesbub (oohh hope i got that right? Currently on the only phone we have and the screen just got shattered into a bajillion pieces, so its like playing chicken with my finger and razorwire :lol: )

I am absolutely loving everyones creations!!

I made DDs bookweek costume last week and she came home in tears because noone else stuck to the theme so she felt all nigel nofriends, poor thing :( - stupid povo school, lol!

Just waiting for our latest order from spoonflower - Duggee softies!!! So anxious to make those!

Also have a comp planned but I might have to do it on Facebook or something as mods dont like me doing them here, lol!

Hows everyone doing?

• Like 2

DirtyStreetPie

Book week costumes just finished, and now I have the boring task of sewing 8 euro cushion covers for MIL, and 9 skater skirts for my daughters dance concert next month.

How are your boring cushion covers going? :p

I'd love to see pics of your Book Week costumes, too.

DG, thank you for posting the skirt pics. It looks fantastic! And Blackcat20, I saw a car with a "I love 2 quilt" sticker on it, and I thought of you...

GF, I'm sorry to hear about your health. I hope you see some improvement very soon. :)

I'm a stickler for the rules, so we're also going to be That Family who actually sticks to the Book Week theme hehe.

What is this competition you speak of?

In a little while, I'm going to visit the Indian clothing stores. Hoping to find some sari fabric to make coasters/placemats out of. I've looked at Spotlight and Lincraft, but they're not Indiany enough. How dare they... lol.

• Like 2

GlitterFarts

I have some fabric that needs 'rehoming' so maybe use that as a prize for some sort of sewing competition? Or I can just RAOK to someone lol, but that takes work... :p

I have straightened up my sewing area again, I have plans to make cloth bags for a food co-op I help run for the Christmas gifts this year - 40 market bags, so I have to start now, lol

• Like 1

sahmie

So I did something crazy and put my Brother overlock foot on it. And it totally just worked.

Mind. Blown.

Love when that happens!!

Thanks for the welcome glitter farts. Sad that your daughter felt bad about her costume :(

DSP - The boring cushion covers have gone nowhere :annoyed: I just don't want to do them :cry::rofl: Will have to pull my finger out and knock them off by next weekend (that's the goal anyway)

The dance skirts are done - Thank god I managed to convince the dance instructor that spandex circle skirts would be better than cotton ones - I'd STILL be hemming the damn things if they were cotton dev%20(6).gif

I still haven't figured out how to load photos on here - it's been a few years since I did it, and my brain is mush post babies. I really shouldn't be allowed to drive.

You just reminded me glitter farts - I need to get on top of my Christmas sewing for teachers and the like, so I'm not left doing it at stupid o-clock the night before.

Any ideas for me? Mostly females.

Edited by brookelovesbub
  • Like 1

blackcat20

Wow BC!! I dont know how you do it!

With more than a little swearing...

Having middle of the night panics about getting this new quilt done in time for my publishers deadline. Need to get backing for the Snippets quilt done tonight so I can post it off, then focus on the new quilt. Thinking about getting it quilted professionally as well, just to save me the stress and the back-ache.

• Like 1

Not Escapin Xmas

Hi everyone!

I have just gotten back into the sewing after a 2 year hiatus. Made DD's book week costume (Astrid from How to Train Your Dragon) and now I'm making her another dress.

My sewing machine is a hand-me-down and not the best quality, so I'm thinking about splurging on a new one. Spend up to $500 maybe? Really keen to get some recommendations :)

What do you all use?

• Like 1

GlitterFarts

Very clever BLBs! I hate hemming too

If you can afford it BC, I say do it! Sewing is much more fun if you can avoid the boring buts :lol:

Welcome Escapin! Pfft dont ask me - my last two new machines were the cheapies from spotlight I got on mega sale and my preferred monster is a $20 salvos job :p. If you're on FB try joining the crafty mammas lounge or the sewing library if you know anyone in that one

blackcat20

If you can afford it BC, I say do it! Sewing is much more fun if you can avoid the boring buts laughing2.gif

I actually like quilting. I've always been of the mindset that if you dont quilt your own quilts, you arent really a quilter (just a piecer). Though I know that offends some people :ninja: But I dont have the time right now, Ive got a deadline, and they are paying me well enough that I can pay someone to quilt it and still come out well ahead. Plus its a tax deduction. So essentially Im being paid to make a quilt that I really want, and of course I get to keep it at the end.

• Like 2

greenthumbs

So where do you all find the time to sew? Anyone else do it with little ones at home? Mine are 5 & 2 and I just don't do any sewing. I keep buying fabric, saying I'll make time, but it just never happens.

Also, anyone have ideas for teacher gifts? I can't afford to buy anything that would be 'enough' (I hear of others buying movie tickets or whatever, but we're still in daycare world where there is up to 10 teachers to take care of). Anything simple and universally liked? I was thinking sunglasses cases?

blackcat20

Well the Snippets quilt arrived at the quilter this morning, so thats now under control. Need to get fabric cut for this magazine one this weekend, and other half is away next weekend which will give me good sewing time.

• Like 3

DragonsGrace

So where do you all find the time to sew? Anyone else do it with little ones at home? Mine are 5 & 2 and I just don't do any sewing. I keep buying fabric, saying I'll make time, but it just never happens.

Also, anyone have ideas for teacher gifts? I can't afford to buy anything that would be 'enough' (I hear of others buying movie tickets or whatever, but we're still in daycare world where there is up to 10 teachers to take care of). Anything simple and universally liked? I was thinking sunglasses cases?

If you have time to wait for delivery, you can get nice purse frames from AliExpress cheaply. Usually you can get 10 or so for about $10-15 and then you just need a small amount of a nice fabric to make a pretty coin purse or small clutch (obviously depending on size of frame). They are really quick and easy to make once you get used to it. This is of course assuming the teachers are female.

As for me, the skirts and bag were picked up on Tuesday. The owner of the Harley Quinn (red &black) skirt loved it and said it fit really well. The joker skirt owner hasn't met the skirt yet but should be meeting it tonight when she catches up with Harley Quinn for comicon. I forgot to take photos of them finished but I've instructed them to take loads of photos for me.

Here's the bag, I ended up making it reversible for her, with the alternative front being her original idea for the bag.

Edited by DragonsGrace
  • Like 3

Lunafreya

I do my sewing in the evening mostly after DS is in bed. I find it rather relaxing.

This was my latest project. 18th century pannier skirt.

28mmgx2.jpg

Needs work though, needs complete redoing on the waist and then lengthened at the hem with a panel.

Just found this thread so I think I'll hang around! :D

• Like 3

DirtyStreetPie

It's so hard. I cut out fabric for a simple pair of baby pants about a week ago. I keep promising myself I'll start sewing it, but it can only really happen during naps (my son doesn't approve of me enjoying myself haha).

I'm most productive when I decide to let the housework go for a week or so. My husband supports this, because I took up sewing as a relaxing mental health hobby (I know some partners can be a*s*holes about housework etc). Then, once I've finished my project and I need a break from all the concentration, I catch up on laundry and clean the floors and all that stuff.

I divide my sewing into tasks, and I complete one task per nap:

Nap 1: cut out pattern pieces, start marking fabric

Nap 2: finish marking fabric, cut out fabric

Nap 3: choose thread colour, wind bobbin, thread machine

Nap 4: pin together the first couple of pieces that will be stitched

Nap 5: sew the pinned pieces from Nap 4

And so on...!! My son has two naps a day, so you can imagine my pace is glacial.

Whenever my son goes to bed at a reasonable hour, and I'm not too tired from dinner and washing up, I get some extra sewing done.

Brookelovesbub is looking at making teacher gifts, too.

I'm a teacher! I'd use anything handmade, what a lovely gesture. Lipstick case, pencil case, book sleeve, sunglasses case, sunhat...

Just found this thread so I think I'll hang around! :D

Yay! And wow, what a lovely skirt. I'm still too much of a novice to find sewing 'relaxing' hehe. Takes too much brains. Brains!

And DG, that bag looks so amazing!

• Like 1

greenthumbs

Escapin - I use a Janome machine. Simple one. Not computerised or anything. It's probably 15+ years old now. Never had any problems with it. Although when I hear newer ones now, they are a lot quieter.

Thanks DG! Great idea. I've just gone and bought some flex frames off ebay this minute. Heaps of time I think, they should be here by mid Oct at the latest, then I can get cracking.

Well I did some sewing. Stitched DS' number onto his Little A's shirt. It's a sad world that I feel stoked to have done that much.

• Like 1

Not Escapin Xmas

I have always heard good things about Janome. Will check out the current models. Thanks!

• Like 1

Lunafreya

Going to pick up some geeky fabric that from Oz Comic con. Planning on making some Pikachu overalls for DS.

• Like 1

GlitterFarts

Woah ladies - absolutely loving the bag - i just wrote a star trek fanfic so in extreme love with that bag DG! And MT awesome work on that skirt!

I only sew when i have to atm sadly, so much other stuff going on and only 1/4 of the energy to do it, lol!

Gifts - i love making journal covers and craft rolls and mugbags, and other things like mini homemade hampers with choccies and bikkies.

GlitterFarts

Oh i iften go to pinterest and search for 'gifts to make' etc, heaps of ideas!