Chazonator

Kids continually waking up early early every morning

Chazonator

The kids are still up to their tricks of waking up early I'm so tired from it they just have no consideration for anyone else in the household who is asleep they fight and are constantly running around someone always gets hurt. Husband doesn't even bother getting out of bed to go get them back to sleep he just says if they were normal they'd find something quiet to do if they had woken up early instead they just make it painful for everyone else. He's gone and put all the kids into one room which I guess won't make anything better but he wants to put our daughter into her own room which is near the boys. I really don't want to she's such a good sleeper and I know they won't care if they wake her up. I just am over it to the point I don't want to spend time with them as I don't have any energy.I can't get any sleep during the day as I've got kinder run and a billion other things to get done as the husband never does anything when he eventually gets home from work. It's just frustrating and depressing. If they slept in until 7 am one morning I think I'd throw a party!

Caribou

Have you moved their bed time to later?

Staggered the bed times?

Banned iPads/tv one hour before bed?

Have you given consequences for not being quiet in their room until 7am?

Right now, from your posts, it sounds like they continue doing this because there is no consequences from getting up early other than a cranky mum and dad, which is rarely effective.

It also sounds like they've got complete disrespect for your and your husband.

DD gets up early, but she's been told, either read in her room quietly, or go back to sleep. Since those were her only options, she's taken up reading to herself quietly until 6. (she wakes up at 5am often)

Your children are definitely old enough to learn consequences for not doing what's told of them.

• Like 2

catkin

Sounds like separate problems to me- the waking early, and what destruction they wreak during that early morning session?

There's loads of ideas posted for the first one, but the second not so much. I would be setting myself the project of a week or two of getting up predawn with them to set expectations and consequences for the unruliness. Id be consistent and firm and put physical barriers in place if need be. 'Early morning' needs to become very boring for them, quick smart. The ringleader would have to earn his/her place back in the kids room for starters. Put 'em on a blowup in the laundry if you have to! But then, I'm one of those tough mammas who drill in rules and never let things slide until it becomes automatic- short term pain (for me!) for long term peace! Good luck with things!

• Like 1

Caribou

oh, and OP, FYI, I realise my last post sounded harsh, sorry, I just woke up and I'm not the best without coffee!

I still stand by what I say, there needs to be consequences for getting up early.

You're doing the best you can at the moment, just needing options on how to tackle kids getting up too early.

You'll gt there, it might be painful initially, but you will get there in the end :)

Chazonator

I understand giving them consequences I've tried but it falls on deaf ears they don't seem to worry if they get no iPad time or if I take away their favourite toys they'll just end up annoying each other until it erupts into another fight. Last week I wrote up a rules list and rewards chart which they clearly understood and I kept on about 7am wake up and went over this list continually but they ended up pulling the list down in the morning and nobody got 1 star. It's the behavior of my eldest child which now the younger two copy and think is acceptable. I mentioned some of the ideas to a few other mum's this morning at school drop off they haven't had much luck with their kids either and some of the ideas above. I also feel like I'm a1 man team as my husband doesn't seem to help and he just goes to work late everyday he expects me to have his stuff washed and I said I can't do it anymore he needs to lift his game and wash his own stuff. He then goes into a whole spiel of well you can go to work and I'll stay home etc etc.

Caribou

Wow, if your husband won't give a united front, then you're going to have a much harder time getting the boys to do as they're told.

I can't believe he says just bc your home you should do all the housework because he works. I would flip my lid at that.

I'd love to see him stay home for a month and see how hard it is to look after children. I'd rather be a manager at work!

OP, obviously something has to change for you, Is there any changing it to 6:30am instead of 7? for me, 7 is very late, especially with school hours.

You need to have a good talk with your husband but if he keeps up the notion because you're at home with the kids, you should be doing everything, I would ask for marriage counselling, because otherwise there is going to be a huge amount of resentment coming up later down the track and everything will come to a head. and it won't be pretty.

• Like 1

IkeaAddict

hugs OP. We went through this to a smaller degree when he was 2-3 or so but he never destroyed anything during those times, just kept pestering us to get up until we did. Now age 6 he will get up himself, sit down with his iPad watching youtube stuff or will watch stuff on regular TV while playing with Lego. He'll even get himself a drink/food if we are having a longer than normal sleep in (very rare though unfortunately)

boatiebabe

It sounds like you two have just given up on the kids regarding discipline and I can understand how that can happen when it all gets too much and you are not getting enough sleep - you just don't have the energy.

Coupled with a partner that has given up too would make that doubly difficult. One good thing with DH and I has been that when one of us just can't any more the other steps in and up to the challenge.

But I agree with others that you need to concentrate on the consequences of their behaviour in the mornings.

You can't force children to sleep - you just can't. But I do think you can enforce quiet and consideration of the needs of others in the morning.

There must be some currency with your children. You need to determine what their currency is and then use that to encourage them to start listening to what you are saying.

Would they be allowed to get up in the morning and watch TV quietly - this is what my kids used to do.

If they fought or got too noisy then that priviledge was taken away and they would only be allowed to play with quiet toys in their room the next day.

I do not have robots for kids who do everything they are told - it took time to get them to wake quietly and not disturb others.

• Like 1

Natttmumm

My empirical evidence of later bed time means sleeping in (if you do it for a few weeks - one night wont help). For what its worth!!

I have serial early wakers and kids who go to bed at 7pm (see my earlier post). Suits us though due to work

recently we went on a 2 week holiday and each night kids were awake until 9pm or later. First 3 to 4 days they woke early anyway. After that they started to wake as late as 8am.

As soon as we got back home they were waking at 8am for about 4 days then flipped back to the 6am wake ups as bedtime flipped back to 7pm.

• Like 1

harryhoo

My kids are much younger 18 months and 4 but I looked at overall how much sleep they were getting. They were waking between 5-6am (and the 18 month still wakes 1-2 times overnight). My four year old was really tired during the day because he was not getting enough sleep. So I decided if he wasn't going to sleep in later, I would make him get an extra hour at the beginning of the night. His sister is in bed at 6pm and he's in bed at 6.30pm. The last few weeks they have both slept till after 6.30am and quite a few post 7am wake up including DS sleeping till 8.50am yesterday!

I found once he was getting better quality sleep because he was going to bed earlier it had a flow on effect... in saying that he was always one of those sleep promotes sleep babies.

doubledelight

I'd like to see this evidence too. I think its more a genetic thing. DS has always been a late night person and could quite happily stay awake till 10pm if we let him.....he would also happily sleep till 9am if we let him. DP and I are the same....on weekends its quite normal for us to be awake till midnight (not DS of course).....we have found a good balance of 9pm sleep time through the week meaning he wakes naturally at 7.30am which is enough time to have breakfast and get ready for school. Tonight he will be sleeping half hour later and will likely sleep in till 8 or so tomorrow morning.

As an aside....my Dad was a late night person who liked his sleep ins, my brother and mother are the opposite. Insomniacs who go to bed early, don't sleep much at all and wake stupidly early naturally

I think a lot of this is our natural rhythms. My parents often joke that my body clock was put in reversed. I have always been a nightowl where as two of my four have been really early risers but both were also early to bed. As they got older they tended to sleep a little later but are still morning people.

SeaPrincess

Are they warm enough? Mine are waking early because it has suddenly got cold. I found that when they were little, it was hard - they go to bed toasty, but then the temperature drops and they don't pull their covers up when they get cold. Even in what feels to me like warm weather.