Chazonator

Kids continually waking up early early every morning

Chazonator

Hi, think I'm nearly at my wits end of having my kids wake up up early every single morning for the last year maybe longer. It's not just wake up early and wander around it's let's wake up early and destroy whatever we can find or run around and create havoc. Kids are ages 7, 6 and 4 the oldest has adhd so I know that could definitely be a huge factor in the early waking he also has issues getting to sleep so we do use melatonin some nights. I've tried reward chart which fell on deaf ears, buying a sleep clock but they pulled it out and the light on it bothered the oldest he kept watching the time and wouldn't go to sleep, tried using an old mobile phone with an alarm set on it just outside of their room but again they didn't bother waiting until it went off, tried putting them to sleep later than 7 and also dishing up dinner later than normal which had affect what so ever. I am not willing to get up at 5 or 5:30 to keep an eye on them when technically they should be still asleep so they can concentrate at school and kinder.I can live with 6:30 which sometimes they will wake up at but it's very rare. I have a 5 month old who shares our room and I'm avoiding putting her down their end in a room by herself when I know they'll just disturb her sleep.

I don't know what to do I'm so tired I need sleep my boys need sleep there has to be a way to keep them in their beds. Their teacher has mentioned to me how tired they are and how they aren't focused enough during the day and it's the same for the kinder one as well. We've tried having all three in their own rooms and also sharing but nothing works they all still destroy their rooms.

Soontobegran

What time to they go to bed ?

cordyline

Oh was coming in to say for our 3 yr old a sleep clock (sheeps eyes open at a set time) had some success for us but I see you have already tried that. We reward with stickers or whatever when she stays in her room until the right time.

We also had to get block out curtains and use white noise.

We've also left an old iPad outside her door after we go to bed and if she wakes up too early she sees it, grabs it and goes back in her room and watches shows on Netflix (again it probably works better because we only have one). Although we do have to pry it off her once we wake up, but the tantrum is worth it for an extra half hour of sleep.

I've seen in other threads people have used baby gates to keep them in their rooms with some success (not sure if that would work with a 7yr old)

Good luck.

Chazonator

Yes we have the sheep sleep clock which the 6 year old understood but the 7 year old thought it was fun to unplug it and it affected his sleep too much. Bedtime is 7 we've tried doing a delayed tinge for the older ones so youngest goes at 7 then the next at 7:15 then the last at 7:30 but I also have a baby to get into bed as well. I can tell the older one is tired his eyes are red by the end of the day he is on Ritalin but it wears off by 4 in the arvo. We used a baby hate when the older two were younger as they couldn't climb over it or push it open where as now they'd find it all fun and games to wreck it. Good idea though! Have threatened to shove them out in the courtyard while it's still early and see if that scares them into not waking early but I think they'd actually enjoy going outside to play.

Veritas Vinum Arte

I have 2 X 5am kids. They quietly come out to the living room and play on their iPads. I do not actively supervise them but our house is small so I caneasiky hear what goes on and only intervene when needed.

With my eldest he has issues sleeping. He has a Fitbit which monitors his sleep, we will be using that to ask the paed for some help with his sleep as he does not get a good nights rest anyway and has issues falling asleep and waking up early.

We hope if we get eldest fixed, he then won't wake up Ds2 so early, as it is Ds2 who has issues with being cranky tired.

Moonl!ght

Is one of them waking the others? Is it worth setting your alarm for 5am to observe who wakes first and what they then do?

You could then talk to that child about what they can and can't do when they wake. For my kids bedtime has minimal impact on when they wake and sometimes the later they go to bed the earlier they rise.

At the moment my 7 and 5 year old wake about 6am.

PurplePower

I am in the same situation with an ADHD child and its hellish. He is usually up at 4.30/5am and like you, NOTHING works. All of the usual strategies that would work with my youngest have zero impact. He wakes up the whole house and we are all miserable.

I know many families living with ADHD have the same awful starts to their day, 7 days a week. It is relentless and exhausting. And I think perhaps being on medication makes the early rising worse for some kids? I'll be asking the Dr about that at our next appointment.

I'm also going to ask about some different forms of melatonin. Maybe there is a slow release form or longer acting one that would help him return to sleep in the wee small hours.

I am currently just trying to practice acceptance via better self care and coping strategies so focusing on how I manage myself rather than him! If ever I find something magic that helps I will PM you, until then we can commiserate together!!!!

• Like 1

Seven of Nine

Try to find out who wakes up first. You might be able to put your early riser in your room and your baby down the other end of the house.

It doesn't solve your problem, but it solves it for the other kids!

Soontobegran

Try to find out who wakes up first. You might be able to put your early riser in your room and your baby down the other end of the house.

It doesn't solve your problem, but it solves it for the other kids!

This, it is probably one who wakes the others and I am sure you'll know which one. Dealing with one is easier than dealing with the lot.

• Like 1

atthebeach

Have you tried a weighted blanket on their feet or stomach? I bought one on ebay for about $40 and had some success with my 5 yo son for a while - he would sleep till 6.30am or 7am, instead of 5am. it's not working at the moment though, and the 5am wakeups are slowly killing me. my next strategy is to change his blanket during the night when he is asleep. he has a lovely soft minki one which he only wants in the loungeroom, not at night. i've put it on him a couple of times during the recent cold nights and he has slept till 6.30am, but then he throws a tantrum in the morning about the blanket.

• Like 1

Veritas Vinum Arte

We have suspected ADHD, but no Dx. So it is not medication causing the early wake ups for us. They boys share a room. 90% of the time it is the elder waking the younger.

melanieb530

Can you trial putting them to bed an hour later each day for a week and see if it results in the sleeping in an hour longer each morning?

needs to get out

Can you trial putting them to bed an hour later each day for a week and see if it results in the sleeping in an hour longer each morning?

I wish this worked. Usually a later bedtime equals an earlier wake up - eg 5am instead of 5.30am.

My two older ones are like this. It is horrible.

• Like 2

Natttmumm

I cant comment on the medication and its impact but if you take that our of the equation 7pm is very early to bed (no judgement as mine go at that time too). We need to be up around 630 so I do bed at 7 to 730pm but my 8 year old awake reading until 830pm. 6 year old is asleep around 730. She had years of waking early - like 5 or earlier.

Could you push the whole routine back a bit each day for a week. Dinner at 6pm, showers and tv time until 745pm. Then teeth and story and lights out by 815pm. You would need to stick to it for a few weeks to see results. On top of this I would separate the kids if you have space and make sure they are warm enough.

Early morning wakes for years on end nearly unhinged me - my 6 nearly 7 yr old grew out of it recently

• Like 1

IkeaAddict

I am guessing that bedtime is too early. DS is falling asleep anywhere between 8.30 and 9.30pm, waking at 7.30am and isn't tired through the day, isn't tired at school or after school and is focussed at school (according to his teacher). h also isn't ADHD so is a totally different issue for your kids. Could you try the later bedtime thing for a few weeks, maybe in school holidays, with the hope that it will reset the body clock for them?

littleboysmum

Maybe a sleep study? Or to see an ENT. There may be an underlying medical reason for the early waking. You have my fullest sympathy. We've been doing a 4:00-4:30 wake up for 4 years...

Not Escapin Xmas

I cant comment on the medication and its impact but if you take that our of the equation 7pm is very early to bed (no judgement as mine go at that time too). We need to be up around 630 so I do bed at 7 to 730pm but my 8 year old awake reading until 830pm. 6 year old is asleep around 730. She had years of waking early - like 5 or earlier.

Could you push the whole routine back a bit each day for a week. Dinner at 6pm, showers and tv time until 745pm. Then teeth and story and lights out by 815pm. You would need to stick to it for a few weeks to see results. On top of this I would separate the kids if you have space and make sure they are warm enough.

Early morning wakes for years on end nearly unhinged me - my 6 nearly 7 yr old grew out of it recently

Funny how different each family is. I was going to suggest an earlier bed time for them all! Maybe 6:30. It really is OK to have an early bed time. There might not be much you can do about the early wake up, so why not trying earlier to bed?

DD (5yo) goes to bed about 6:45 and wakes up about 6:30. Last night she went to bed at 7:15 and woke up at 6...

JustMyGirl

Funny how different each family is. I was going to suggest an earlier bed time for them all! Maybe 6:30. It really is OK to have an early bed time. There might not be much you can do about the early wake up, so why not trying earlier to bed?

DD (5yo) goes to bed about 6:45 and wakes up about 6:30. Last night she went to bed at 7:15 and woke up at 6...

I think that depends on their sleep needs. From what you have said your DD sleeps nearly 12 hours per night. My 5 yr old does ok on 10-10.5 (occasionally 11). So earlier to bed would not work for us as she's already awake before 6am most days, having gone to bed around 715-730. But we like the current bedtime and don't want to make it later. But in our situation certainly wouldn't make it earlier. She'd be up at 5 or 430!

SeaPrincess

I agree with pps that it's probably one child waking the others. I know when we had real issues, one of ours is hard to get to sleep, and one is an early riser. They were sharing a room, so they were losing sleep at both ends of the day. Now, we still have one getting up after bedtime, but he comes out to disturb us, not his brother, and in the morning, the older one just gets up and leaves the others alone.

miss mia

You have my full commiserations OP and all the PPs in the same situation. It's AWFUL!

I have a 3yo DD who is an early riser, 5/5.30 every morning. I absolutely hate it. I'm so tired. Nothing I have done works either. All I know is that her bedtime must be 6.45/7pm every night, any later and it just results in an earlier morning. I'm experimenting with 6.30 at the moment...

I wonder if she is ADHD too but I don't think anyone will diagnose her so young.

My 5month old DD wakes at 1.30 for a feed so it feels like I don't sleep from 1.30 every morning.

Good luck OP, if you find anything that works, please let us know :)

Freckles

Absolutely no tips I'm afraid. My son was a 5am waker for YEARS and is only just now starting to grow out of it (he will be 14 in a month). I could never get him to sleep later, no matter what I tried. I just had to get up with him and suck it up. :( The worst was the month leading up to the start of daylight savings when he would be up at 4am. :omg: However he wasn't destructive and would usually play happily while I half-snoozed and half-watched from nearby. That must be very hard with a baby, given I'm assuming you are up overnight feeding. :(

Not Escapin Xmas

our sleep doc told us that too-early waking is a significant issue often set by too-early bed times in their first few years - so if they started bedtimes at 5.30-6.30 as toddlers, you will often wear 5 years of pre-6am starts..he says it's a really under-noticed issue...

I'd love to see some empirical evidence to back that up! Not enough sleep is a well known issue in modern western society.

aussiespecial123

I've got two early risers. Thought it would change once they got to school and be more 'tired'. But alas, no. I've bought alarm clocks that change colours when it time to get out of bed. To be frank. They don't give a flying flock what colour or what time it is, they will get up anyway.

Mine go to bed at 7pm and they need to sleep. They are pretty much snoring at 7:05pm.

I was an early riser when I was a child. I think karma has found me

IkeaAddict

I'd love to see some empirical evidence to back that up! Not enough sleep is a well known issue in modern western society.

I'd like to see this evidence too. I think its more a genetic thing. DS has always been a late night person and could quite happily stay awake till 10pm if we let him.....he would also happily sleep till 9am if we let him. DP and I are the same....on weekends its quite normal for us to be awake till midnight (not DS of course).....we have found a good balance of 9pm sleep time through the week meaning he wakes naturally at 7.30am which is enough time to have breakfast and get ready for school. Tonight he will be sleeping half hour later and will likely sleep in till 8 or so tomorrow morning.

As an aside....my Dad was a late night person who liked his sleep ins, my brother and mother are the opposite. Insomniacs who go to bed early, don't sleep much at all and wake stupidly early naturally

Mrs Claus

My kids aren't allowed out of their room until 7am. My youngest used to wake between 6am and 6.30 and play quietly in his room. Now he's starting to go back to sleep (think because it's colder so he's staying in bed)

I would give them a time and if they get up any earlier send them back to their room.

• Like 2