TopsyTurvy

Finding a job, nearing retirement age - my poor dad :(

TopsyTurvy

My poor dad just can't find work. Sadly the industry he has worked in all his life just won't hire him (advertising)

He has been working in a free lance capacity for the last 10 years or so, but that work is drying up now too.

He's applying for pretty much any job nowadays but no-one wants to hire him as he is 68 this year and it seems too old to hire for most places.

I'm beginning to become terribly worried about him. His partner has been supporting him, but it's placed a huge strain on their relationship and now her job is currently in the balance. He does not qualify for a pension either.

Has anyone got any bright ideas on how to help him find a job?

Anyone know of somewhere Melbourne city or western suburbs that would be willing to hire him? He is fit, healthy and incredibly intelligent!

kshy

Has he registered with temp agencies, I know it's not full time but he might pick up some work and lead to more hours. There are some temp agencies that are advertising specific

MarciaB

It is such a shame that employers won't consider older employees in many instances - all that experience and knowledge that they could tap into...

I am guessing that your Dad has approached all his contacts and asked? That may just be the best way for him to get back in. Freelance or a permanent position.

As a slight aside - why isn't he eligible for a pension at 68? Is that something he could investigate further to help the financial issue?

Roxi

Does he have supe he can access?

Bono25

My dad was in the same position, it really is hard seeing someone who has put in so much, not even be given a chance. The Salvos can sometimes help. Didn't help my dad much. In the end, he started his own business doing what he was doing before for some of the people he knew. But it's still hard work on him.

FeralZombieMum

Does he have a linkedin account?

Is he only applying for advertised jobs? If so, could he send his resume around to businesses. Lots of jobs aren't advertised and are offered to people who contact businesses directly.

What sort of skills does he have? Can he branch out into other areas?

If he is worried his age is holding him back - can he do work over the internet?

Has he looked at websites like airtasker?

Hands Up

My Dad is 70 and in the same position. It's awful. The stupid thing is he is very good at what he does and full of energy.

Degas007

I work in the game - is he creative or a copy writer?

Literary Lemur

Is he putting his DOB on his application? If he is he shouldn't.

I agree Linkedin can be very effective. He should ensure he "endorses" other people to create a large network of potential contacts.

• Like 5

Gumbette

Does he have a linkedin account?

Is he only applying for advertised jobs? If so, could he send his resume around to businesses. Lots of jobs aren't advertised and are offered to people who contact businesses directly.

This. DH recently lost his job recently and was offered another position the following week. All done through his linkedin account. The job was never advertised not even on the hiring company's own 'Careers' page.

Good luck to your dad.

ETA Agree with PP to remove his DOB. I've removed all dates from my CV except in relation to the last 3 positions held.

Edited by Gumbette
  • Like 2

teaspoon

Could he get some job coaching? Even two or three sessions would doubtless help him reframe his experience and qualifications so he was more marketable.

Jump on to http://seniorpreneurs.org.au/

there are organisations that can provide him with targeted support and advice.

Good luck!

• Like 1

mandelbrot

It sounds like it's time for him to be calling on all his contacts. It can be a hard thing for some people (perhaps particularly, older men) to admit that they need the help, but this is really the best way to get a job.

I worked with two men who had been thrust back into the workforce in their 70s after the GFC killed their retirement investments. They both got the jobs through contacts. Interestingly, both were from consulting firms - they used their contacts to get on the consulting places' books, then the ultimate employer just got whoever the firm sent. It was an easy way to skip the usual hiring manager age discrimination.

The other thing to do is to have a cull of his CV - get rid of anything that indicates year of graduation or is too far in the past. It might help with getting an interview

• Like 2

FeralZombieMum

Sometimes it's about being in the right place at the right time, and about getting work through other avenues.

eg,

Could he volunteer his skills for not for profits? He might be able to make some contacts that way, that could line him up with work.

Are there ways he can get his name online, to bring about job offers?

eg could he have a website, or blog?

My DH gets the occasional job offer (mostly from overseas) because he is very active online. He has been involved in some projects (that he doesn't get paid for), and has caught the eye of people who need his skills.

TopsyTurvy

Thanks for all the responses. He certainly is using his networks of people he knows to seek employment but so far not much luck. He gets the odd job from time to time and has gotten to the interview stage a couple of times so I'm hoping that it's just a matter of time before he lands at least a part time gig.

I'll ask him about the other stuff when I see him tomorrow.

Thanks!

TopsyTurvy

I work in the game - is he creative or a copy writer?

I'm pretty sure that he has done both. He's worked for some pretty big accounts over the years and had oodles of experience both copy writing and working in creative directorship and creative communications.

If you have any leads please PM me thank you so very much!

indah86

No advice but my dad is about to get retrenched after forty years. He's 56 and stressed.

livelifelovehappy

That's hard and advertising is such a brutal industry for raging employees!

What about client side jobs? In house design at a telco or something? Government contracts etc? Maybe just expanding the industries he's looking at?

auto correct, meant to say aging.

SplashingRainbows

TT is he 58 or 68?

Because if he's 68 in really struggling to understand why he's not entitled to a pension. Pension age is 65. If he has too many assets to qualify then he will have assets or super or both to support himself.

If he's not entitled due to residency or some such, is he entitled from another country?

ETA make sure he is also claiming all the relevant seniors benefits on electricity, seniors card, health care etc.

Edited by SplashingRainbows

Moneypenny2014

Can he change his career so to speak?

A really successful Business Banking Manager I know left the NAB and started up a mowing business!

It grew so much that he is now flat out and knocking back work!

Cleaning is also in demand as are handymen.