Sign in to follow this  
smmaho

Low free beta hcg levels

smmaho

I was having a look at my NT results which all came back low risk, however I made a mistake of googling because I was interested in what the different types of blood tests were.

I now realise that my free beta hcg levels are on the low side (0.47) and anything below 0.5 is considered low.

So what did I do then...google what that means...big mistake!

From what I can see it could potentially mean a low birth weight for the baby or placenta issues in the third trimester.

Did anyone else have low free beta hcg levels? I'm trying to decide if it's worth worrying about especially since I'm so close to that 0.5 mark. My ob didn't mention anything when he gave me my results just said that I was low risk.

I may mention it to him at my 16 week appointment and just see what he says.

IamtheMumma

Are you looking at the right units? The correct unit is MoM (multiple of the median) but a lot of path labs report in IU/L.

I wouldn't worry about it. If the nuchal fold was normal, papp-a normal and the free beta hcg is low normal, its all good. Having said that, its still 1 in 15000 or 33000. Anyone could be that 1.

smmaho

Yeah it was in the MoM measurements. Normal Papp-a results and nucheal fold. <1 in 20000 odds. It's just this low level that's bothering me.

IamtheMumma

I know this is easy to say but worrying isn't going to change the result.

Does it worry you enough to act on it? If you were that 1, would you be wanting to end the pregnancy or would you continue? An amnio has a risk of miscarriage of around 1:200. Is that worth it when your low risk at 1:20000?

These are food for thought questions to try to help you not worry. I'm not demanding answers.

smmaho

Yeah I'm not worried about Down syndrome I'm more worried about something happening with my placenta causing really early labour. That's my main fear.

But you are right there is no point worrying. There's nothing I can do about it right now. I just hope my ob monitors it closely in the third trimester however he doesnt seem concerned.

Edited by smmaho

IamtheMumma

From my limited understanding, a low papp-a is the one that is associated with placental issues. But by itself, its just something to be aware of.

FeralRebelWClaws

I don't even know what my number were, I just handed the paperwork over to the GP and MWs and didn't keep a copy. I know that my hcg was rising REALLY REALLY slowly all the way to 12w. I don't even remember the bHCG from the 12w. No one mentioned it. I do remember that my risk for premature labour and preeclampsia were both really low.

Wilo1702

My HcG was .29 so I wouldn't be worried at yours. Like you said it's very close to normal.

margot_t

I had low PAPP-A and mildly elevated HCG levels. Initially they worried about DS or other trisomies, but once they were ruled out, they have decided it's a placenta issue. From all my google trawling, it is the low PAPP-A that sets gives the warning about placenta issues (also in combo with HCG levels), not HCG on its own.

I am sure your obs would have discussed it with you if they had concerns about this as there are a number of issues that can arise in 2nd/3rd trimester with IUGR etc.Also, HCG is tested in your urine, so the levels may vary through the day and when you last urinated. Bring it up at your next appt if you're worried, but honestly, if I was you and your obs wasn't worried, I wouldn't be either.

Sign in to follow this