Ettienne

Freestanding oven vs built in wall

Ettienne

We are renovating our kitchen and I thought I had found the oven I want- a 900mm belling freestanding cooker that has 2 seperate ovens + a separate griller. But since talking to a few people who do a lot of baking (as I do) they've each said if they had their time over they would have done 2 seperate ovens in the wall rather than the big freestanding ovens they have. Each of these woman have a 900mm freestanding oven although it's just one big oven, not seperate ovens within it like I'm looking at. But it has still got me second guessing my choice. Should I be looking at 2 in wall ovens instead? After some feedback from people who bake/cook a lot, what would you do? What do have, and what do you like/hate about it??

• Like 1

somila

I've always like wall ovens because they are easy to access and clean. I have a bad back - the less bending and lifting the better.

Big freestanding cookers became a bit of a 'statement' in kitchen design over a decade ago, but now wall ovens are a thing again.

Have you used both kinds of ovens yourself? Which do you prefer?

Buy what you want. :)

• Like 2

Wango

I have a wall oven and an under bench oven (which can be used as a steam oven) and I hardly use the underneath one. It wasn't my design by the way.

I'm using both today but only because I'm making bulk Anzac biscuits and need both, otherwise wall all the way. Easier to get to/peer through the glass to keep an eye out.

sueratbag

I like wall ovens, as PP because of ease of access. I also think they are safer when there are anklebiter sized kids around, especially when you're taking hot things out of the oven.

Freestanding are more space saving. But if space was not an issue, I'd always go wall oven. The ones with doors that open sideways like a room door are a good idea, so you don't have to lift heavy hot things out over a hot open door. Who designed them like that anyway? Not somebody who bakes, I'm sure!

somila

I used to have an early 80s Simpson wall oven with a retractable door. (After you opened it you could slide it under the oven.) Best thing ever.

• Like 1

27plus

I used to have an early 80s Simpson wall oven with a retractable door. (After you opened it you could slide it under the oven.) Best thing ever.

We had one of those in a rental property in the 90s.

I loved how the door slid under and out of the way so you could get right in front and take stuff out!

Do they make them like that anymore?

FuzzyChocolateToes

When I was looking recently, the wall ovens consisted of a full size oven plus a smaller oven. Do they mean two separate ovens? This arrangement is quite popular and it's what I've chosen for my new kitchen, two 60mm ovens under bench.

I previously had a freestanding 80mm oven which was awful. I think a Belling would be far superior! Ultimately it's personal preference.

And yes you can still buy an oven where the door slides away. Neff make them but they aren't cheap.

Edited by ednaboo
  • Like 1

**Xena**

I'm pretty sure I know the exact oven you mean because I was eyeing it off too :lol:

I'd say your friends are mainly saying two ovens over one big oven so that you can cook things at different temperatures however the Belling has that so I don't think it'd be an issue.

We have a wall oven but I'd prefer a floor one. I'm not very tall and I find the wall one inconvenient for getting things in and out. It is better when you have young kids though.

ali-song

We have two separate wall ovens - a normal sized one and a single rack / grill oven. I love them, though wouldn't mind the same thing but wider. I bake a lot, and having the ovens close to eye level is fantastic, as is the ability to have two ovens both set to the right temperature (rather than the top rack / bottom rack issue). Ours are Belling, and my only complaint is that the temperature knobs are difficult to read as the dots and temperatures don't line up well (i.e. it's not very obvious which temperature goes with which dot).

Veritas Vinum Arte

I hate wall ovens, but then again I am short.

I like underbench. My issue with freestanding is crap falling beside/behind/underneath.

Do like the idea of double ovens.

Ettienne

I'm pretty sure I know the exact oven you mean because I was eyeing it off too :lol:

I'd say your friends are mainly saying two ovens over one big oven so that you can cook things at different temperatures however the Belling has that so I don't think it'd be an issue.

It's amazing isn't it! That's what I was thinking too about the reason they didn't like theirs. But it still had me rethinking my plans. And it seems majority here prefer in wall too. Hmmm... Still no closer to a decision but thanks anyway everyone! You've all given some very great points to think about.

Oh Peanuts!

We recently renovated our kitchen. Couldn't wait to get rid of the freestanding oven. There was a small gap between the oven and the bench top on both sides and it was horrible to clean. Never looked like I cleaned it enough. Love our built-in oven. It looks seemless.

Lesley225

I have an underbench oven which is really hard to use as it is so low and the temp control is just off the ground so you almost have to lie on the ground to see what you are setting it on. Doesn't help that the knobs very thick and it's hard to see the number esp so low down.

The 8th Plum

I think with a 900mm oven compartment, unless you generally bake/cook a large quantity, you are paying to heat up a large area when you only need a standard size. I can see if I had a family of 6 and thee were ravenous teenagers, I'd probably be roasting two chickens plus increased quantities of veg, but I don't, so I don't actually need the extra space. I don't have a baking day where I cook up a week's supply of cakes and muffins either.

I like both wall ovens and freestanding, but freestanding has to be a tight fit and have a sunken stovetop so spills aren't flowing straight into the gap. Having two oven spaces is great if you want to cook at different temps or regularly need extra space - like the families who have a big get together every weekend.

I don't mind bending over and my kitchen is a galley so I could actually blockade it from small kids.

TheGreenSheep

When we built this house I put in a double wall oven. I like the seamless lol of built in cabinetry. They're 76cm wide each. I love two ovens, pyrolitic self cleaning, so two ovens to clean is not an issue. I use the top one for roasting and everyday. Baking in the lower one. I cook a lot so I they've been worth the money!

I've had houses with under bench ovens, didn't like them as I'm tallish and bending and lifting with heavy dishes etc wasn't great for me. I didn't like the heat on my legs. Didn't like the kids being able to open them, change settings, pull the bleeping control knob off.

Lesley225

You're not the first person to mention that but I've just had a think about it. I've only seen under bench ovens where the temp controls are at the top of the oven. I can't picture how the dial could be so low as to be nearly on the ground?

Well I do exagerate a little. It's 10 cm from the bottom of the oven and 50 cm from the ground. The knob is really thick and really it's too low down to see properly without crouching down and almost looking upwards and I'm very short.

My sister has one in the same position bu she has an electronic control at the top of hte oven.

Lesley225

I think with a 900mm oven compartment, unless you generally bake/cook a large quantity, you are paying to heat up a large area when you only need a standard size. I can see if I had a family of 6 and thee were ravenous teenagers, I'd probably be roasting two chickens plus increased quantities of veg, but I don't, so I don't actually need the extra space. I don't have a baking day where I cook up a week's supply of cakes and muffins either.

I do agree with that. I have a 900mm one too so most of the time I use one of t hose turbo ovens when I'm just reheating a pie, cooking fish etc as the oven takes forever to heat up and must be so inefficient for a small thing.

Mamabear2010

I love my wall oven. I hate bending down and lifting things. I love how easy it is to access the wall oven and I think it is so much safer with young children. I would pick wall ovens over freestanding every time.

• Like 1

hills mum bec

I would only go a wall oven if it had this feature. I am very short and in the past when I have used wall oven I have always found the door to be very much in the way when getting stuff in and out of the oven. We have a 900mm freestanding now and it's great when cooking lots of stuff, I don't have a problem with bending down to use it but it does suck when you only want to cook one thing because it takes ages to heat. When I'm cooking something small we have a portable toaster/griller type oven that sits on the bench top that I use.

Diamonddream

If you are into cooking I would get 2 wall ovens. I'm cooking pulled pork today for 7 hours at 100 degrees and it is annoying I can't make the anzac cookies! 2 ovens would solve that!! Btw I have a slow cooker and. Thermomix too I just prefer the taste of the pulled pork slow cooked in the Oven.

Ettienne

I think with a 900mm oven compartment, unless you generally bake/cook a large quantity, you are paying to heat up a large area when you only need a standard size.

The one we are looking at has 3 seperate sections within the one 900mm oven. So you can set each at different temps if doing a big bake up or if you're only say heating a small pie then you'd just use the smaller oven within it. I do certainly agree that one whole oven of 900mm can be a waste of space a lot of the time hence why the option is between this freestanding one with seperate ovens or putting two seperate ovens in the wall.

• Like 1

somila

I would only go a wall oven if it had this feature. I am very short and in the past when I have used wall oven I have always found the door to be very much in the way when getting stuff in and out of the oven.

I'm average height with long arms and the rest of the household is tall, taller and tallest.

These things definitely make a difference, don't they?

My wall oven is only one pot-drawer height above the floor though, so I think a shorter person would be fine with that.

Microwave is above.

Hands Up

I like our freestanding 900mm oven as I'm often cooking with multiple trays. I quite like the idea of having two separate wall ovens too though.

Etcetera

I'm short so having a wall oven that's too high is terrible but if you put it at the right height there's nothing better.

I went from wall oven to underbench back to wall oven. Wall oven wins!

It's much easier to check things, and I find having an oven under the cooktop makes me really hot.

We are renovating our kitchen and I've gone with two wall ovens stacked. The bottom one is 30cm off the ground with a shallow drawer underneath. My kids are keen to cook so that'll be perfect for them.

You can get ovens with doors that slide underneath (Neff makes them and they start at $3500, they're the ones they have on the great British bake off). There are also side opening ovens (Westinghouse have a basic one for just under $1k).

I would love a range if I had a big kitchen but I'd want to pair it with a wall oven.

YodaTheWrinkledOne

I have gone with two 60cm built-in ovens (underbench).

However, you can get freestanding ovens that have 2 or more cavities for separate cooking like the Belling freestanding oven with cooktop. My sister has an oven like this and she absolutely LOVES it.