Sign in to follow this  
Dirtsa

Mr Fluffy demolition in your street?

Dirtsa

Just wondering if anyone has had a Mr Fluffy house next door to them or in their street that has already been demolished? If so, what is your opinion /perception about the demolition?

The fences have gone up around 3 in our street, including one across the road from us. I've read the articles and documentation about all the safety measures and procedures that are supposed to be in place for each demolition, and they sound reassuring enough but we're just wondering what the reality is. Do you get notified of the actual date of demolition? Is there a step by step notification such as "the house has now been vacuumed and sprayed with PVC" before the demolition? Is there sufficient water suppression, or a garden hose type arrangement? Is there an inspector turning up to supervise every house?

I'm not convinced that the safety measures will be exactly followed. I know that the Asbestos Response Taskforce people will say "yes of course they are".

If you know any links to articles, forums, fb, etc. where people are discussing this topic please let me know.

thanks

Edited by Frau Farbissina

mm1981

In answer to your questions;

1. You will get notified before demolition. This may be only a letter in your letterbox and it should be either 7 or 3 days before (depending on the approval required)

2. There is no requirement for step by step notification.

3. As it is classed as friable asbestos, there will be air monitoring in place to the site boundaries (daily). A clearance certificate will be given at the completion of the works. These are completed by an independent hygienist (cannot be related to the company doing the works.) These results are provided to workcover and the client - Not to neighbours. These certificates are certification that works are completed in accordance with all legislation/ codes of practice

4. A garden hose type arrangement is suitable for the works. High pressure hoses are not used as they can create overwet/ damage to structures. It is all about saturating structures and garden hose is fine for this purpose.

The risk is low, especially given the distance of your house to the site would be more than 20m I assume. Exclusion zones vary but a 7m exclusion zone is more than adequate for most works of this nature.

• Like 1

BadCat

Not in my street, but I've seen one come down.

They appeared to be taking all the necessary precautions. And certainly when they were knocking down the shell there was a lot amount of water being sprayed on the site.

I have massive anxiety around the whole Fluffy debacle, but a house coming down next door would not really concern me all that much.

Edited by BadCat

Hayleymumof3

We have had 3 near us go down recently(also near kids school) they seem to have done it correctly with all the safety precautions.

Some of the blocks(I think 10 of them) have already gone to auction with 8 of them selling. They wouldn't be doing that if their methods weren't safe.

Puggle

We had one across the park from us go down last week. No notification at all, but we then we aren't immediate neighbours. We've got a couple closer to us but as far as I am aware the closest one still has someone living in it (which surprised me).