Krissy85

NT - what to expect

Krissy85

Hi ladies (and gents who may be reading).

I am currently 12 weeks and 5 days, as per my LMP. At this stage, I'm yet to have a dating scan and my first obstitrician appointment is a day after my NT scan.

What I am wondering is, will I find out enough about the baby's actual age etc and any other concerns at the NT. Or will the NT scan only focus on checking for downs syndrome?

Could any ladies who have had their NT scan let me know what their experience was like. If they commented on the age of the baby and if you got to hear the heart beat, etc.

I'm so eager to announce the big news!

Thanks in advance.

N. Tonks

Hi Krissy,

Some places won't give you the result then and there, they will write a report and you'll go through it with your GP/midwife clinic/OB however mine had a doctor on site who went through the results with me after the scan. I did get to hear the heartbeat and the scan tech did mention quite a bit during the scan re. size of the nuchal fold measurement, seeing a nasal bone, size of the baby, heart beat being normal etc. To do the risk ratio they need to input all the factors though computer and calculate it. I also had to get a blood test the week before and they used these for the risk ratio. I didn't get info on the age of the baby until I saw the GP 2 days after. Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions :)

AlmondButter

Yes at our 12 week scan last week they did date sizing, heartbeat, other structural analysis (looking at heart chambers, stomach, brain, limbs from memory - I'm sure there were more). They also did the usual nuchal test. I think the 12 week scan is generally also an anatomy scan but they just can't see as much as they can at 19 weeks because the baby is so small so that's why you need to go back for the morphology.

Yeahidunno2or3

Really depends where you go, just ask questions. Hopefully you get a good sonographer. Mine was awful, didn't say anything at all, but it was my 5th scan, so wasn't worried about details at that stage. She didn't tell me what the heart rate was, or fetal age, but I did see when she was measuring it, it was right on 12 weeks, and heart rate 157.

They should at least tell you the basics, but may not comment on anything else, but don't worry, it may just be policy that they can't say anything.

Krissy85

Thanks ladies.

I've already had my blood tests done so I really hope we go through everything then and there. But if not, I'll jut be patient and wait until the day after when I see my obstetrician.

After almost 13 weeks with no scans, I'm just so eager to know how everything is going.

smmaho

I just had my NT scan today and had the bloods taken two weeks ago. The sonogrpher showed me a few things and told me that the scan looked good and I had a normal nucheal fold measurement although not really sure what that measurement was. He said that my scan will be sent to the lab today and will be combined with my bloods. I'm hoping I dont have to wait too long for the results but in saying that he did say they would call my ob if my odds were high or post the results if they are low...so I'm guessing the longer it takes to get the results the better but it's so hard not to be anxious!