Lunafreya

Getting a job with no references

Lunafreya

DH and I are seriously talking about moving out of Sydney, probably in the Newcastle area around Maitland to be near friends. This will probably come with a drop in income for us, which means I'll have to back into the workforce after being out for quite a few years.

In a few ways I'm dreading it as I haven't ever gotten a job from interviews, last job I had I just got my sending my name in. That job was in a library at a private college and after I applied for one job with a reference from that place, the interviewer told me my former boss lied to her about my time there. Lying about what I'd been like to work with and the circumstances of my leaving.

References before that were very old, and told the interviewer as such. That happening may have been why I didn't get the job.

I have qualifications in library and can do admin work. But no references.

Not sure how to work this out.

BeAwesome

Could you do some volunteer work and get a referee from that?

• Like 5

The 8th Plum

I also have no references - at least none current, beyond my DH, as we have our own business.

I plan to do volunteer work and as I will have to do placements to get the job I want I just have to hope that I get good feedback from those. Otherwise I'm stuffed.

But I did get a job once despite my referees being unable to speak English fluently or complete the 20 page questionnaire that prospective employer sent them. People can be understanding and flexible.

Lunafreya

We don't have anyone to look after DS and can't afford child care, so can't do volunteer during the day.

And I don't drive.

sammyv

Is there someone in authority that you can get a personal / character reference.

It could be a business person, Priest, Police officer, JP or something like that.

ABabyPlease

Can you contact previous " lying " referees and catch up for a coffee to discuss your plans. You could take a one page document detailing your time working for them with the correct dates, your achievements etc. And maybe ask if they would give you a positive reference.

You could also do this via email.

Maybe they were busy and couldn't remember details?

Good luck

Beeeeeez

Tough one. I would be doing what PP above suggested (i.e. personal reference).

• Like 1

**Tiger*Filly**

When I got my first job after being out of the workforce with children and then moving interstate, I asked my uni lecturers to be referees, and a friend who had a respected community role as a character referee.

DD age 18 just got her first paid work and previously did volunteer work which gave her some referees.

Lunafreya

Can you contact previous " lying " referees and catch up for a coffee to discuss your plans. You could take a one page document detailing your time working for them with the correct dates, your achievements etc. And maybe ask if they would give you a positive reference.

You could also do this via email.

Maybe they were busy and couldn't remember details?

Good luck

No, she was very specific about what she was going to say. And she's not nice, preferred a girl who'd been their longer to me and I could do the job better.

Not sure about uni references, it's been at least ten years.

• Like 1

SplashingRainbows

I would seriously re think moving to maitland or Newcastle if you dont drive. Public transport is pretty appalling here, and everything is spread out. Everyone I know who lives around the Newcastle area regards driving as an essential skill, and rates access to a vehicle very highly.

In addition I am pretty sure unemployment here is higher than capital cities. The area is very heavily mining based (mining and follow on industries and skill sets) and the down turn has had an effect.

• Like 9

José

Is it possible cost of living will be less so you won't need to work?

Is your plan move, secure a job, get day care in that order? Even in Maitland/ Newcastle day care isn't a given on the days you want.

I actually agree with the pp about transport also. If you don't drive how will you get to day care and work?

I think volunteering sounds like a great idea. It's a shame there's no way for you to make that work.

~*~blizzy~*~

Not all jobs do reference checks. I just got a senior branch role in a big 4 bank, my background is finance and they didn't complete any reference checks

RipeWickedPlum

I would seriously re think moving to maitland or Newcastle if you dont drive. Public transport is pretty appalling here, and everything is spread out. Everyone I know who lives around the Newcastle area regards driving as an essential skill, and rates access to a vehicle very highly.

In addition I am pretty sure unemployment here is higher than capital cities. The area is very heavily mining based (mining and follow on industries and skill sets) and the down turn has had an effect.

I live around Maitland and I agree. The public transport here is not good. I need my car to get DD to school and my other DD's to daycare and to get to the shops and basically anywhere I want to go. And I don't live away from a major centre... I just couldn't walk it.

Veritas Vinum Arte

I got my job saying references available upon request.... Was not requested.

I would have had to go personal referee route as all my old bosses have moved on.

• Like 1

Caribou

I'd do references on request or personal. I've offered employment to those with little or no references. How they performed in interview with questions won me over.

• Like 1

Alacritous~Andy

Depending on the type of work, could you offer a work sample (deidentified etc). I have done this for previous roles where I felt I la led adequate references.

BadCat

Personal references worked fine for me and I have no qualifications and haven't worked in a very long time.

ekbaby

Re: volunteering there are many volunteer roles that can be done whilst being a SAHP (without childcare). I have been volunteering for about 6 years now. There is a volunteering website you can look at for jobs. Many organisations need people to do admin type stuff that you could do at home, you can often attend meetings with children in tow or in the evenings. You could do something child related like be the treasurer for a playgroup. You could try to find something related to your skill set eg if it's libraries or archiving I'm sure lots of organisations would have a need for that and be quite flexible for how you got it done.

Even if it's not related to your paid work long term volunteering can be useful for a reference showing things like time management skills, communication skills, trustworthiness, community engagement etc.

mummy73

Even though it was quite a while a go I lived up there with parents about 15 years ago for around a few years. Make sure you know what type of job you will be looking for and make sure before you move there: that there is in fact a decent chance of getting a job. The job market is tough to say the least, it was 18% when I lived there. I have never had a problem getting a job in Sydney as I have always had a can do attitude and even temped at employment agency whilst in Newcastle. I found the employment situation in Newcastle depressing and hard. I temped longterm at one place but it was never going to be permanent even though it was treated like one.

Eventually I just had enough of it (and my parents as well) and moved back to Sydney. To explain the difficulty of the place I was offered 2 jobs literally when I got back from job agency interviews, good jobs in the city. I also found a permanent role that was very well paid with a prestigious company not long after that which was a long term permanent role. The attitude of employers can put you at a disadvantage if there is a lack of employment around, the power some of them will use if you do have a permanent role or even just temp. I hope this will give you a chance to investigate what you are hoping to do there and where to live. Having a car for some jobs is a necessity, not a choice. I did have to drive a few times to temping jobs, some of them were not close (other side of Sydney would be a fair representation). I would need to get the bus to others in CBD, but the system is Government buses not private usually. They are generally in the suburbs not that often, as I said that could have changed quite a bit since I lived there. Saying that I think Newcastle has some of the best beaches in the world. I've had a bit of travel experience. However, Newcastle is still "the town to tough to die", if you don't have work there you won't have money and it may be a long time until you do if the job market is tough as I found it. Just go in with your eyes open as you have done in posting this quest for information. I wish you all the best for a sea change to "Newy".

Edited by mummy73