first time mum 85

How do I function?

first time mum 85

Ok, everyone probably feels this way, but I feel like I'm going mildly crazy. How is everyone functioning with the first trimester? I am really struggling. With working, housework, and morning sickness, I feel like I want to crawl into bed and hide under the blankets! But the dishes don't do themselves, I can't call in sick, and darling husband works twice the amount of hours I do. This is just me having a little whine, but I am finding it all a little overwhelming. Especially since I am emotional too...I cried over a dead bee in the backyard a few days ago! Ok, rant over. I guess I am just interetsed in knowing if anyone else is feeling overwhelmed as well?

Morton-89

I'm with you ftm85. Mine has calmed a little now that I've sorted out our money situation but I definitely still get overwhelmed very easily. I used to have anxiety so I learned some coping tips that helped me through my anxiety attacks which I now apply to my pregnancy and they seem to be helping :) first I work out what it is that's making me overwhelmed, then I try and fix that issue. If I'm freaking about money, I'll work out a budget. If I'm worried about what I'll do if the baby doesn't stop crying, I'll research more to try and learn more and prepare. If I'm worried about people finding out that im pregnant before I'm ready, I find ways to deal with questions or whatever. Second, I always try to keep my house semi-tidy. Just a quick five minute tidy and then on the weekends DH and I do a proper clean. If I have a messy house I stress more and get overwhelmed quicker. If I think it's all a bit much I tell DH and he and I work together to quickly tidy or whatever. Some days I only work 4hrs whereas DH will do 8. I try to remember that he has worked a big day, but at the same time even if I have only done 4hrs, growing a human can be pretty damn exhausting so I do ask for help when I need it. Can you ask DH for a little bit of help? Maybe you could do a little tidy every day, like I'm talking 10 minutes and then on the weekends if you both have them off you can clean your house perfectly? That way you can still rest during the week when you work and rest on the weekend in between cleaning etc? :)

• Like 1

anatomicalheart

I've come in through We are discussing...

For me, the answer always was, however unsatisfying: you just do.

With your morning sickness, if you can't function, it's worth a GP visit to get some medication sorted. If it's 'just' regular morning sickness, it will pass- and your energy will return at the end of the first trimester, albeit temporarily.

Now's a really good time to learn how to pick your battles. I find making a weekly to-do list and ticking off a few each day works well. Just like when you have a newborn (or a newborn + other child/ren) some nights you have time/energy for more complicated dinners, other nights, a simple meal is fine- and actually ideal.

And rest as much as you can!

• Like 1

Mumanik

I'm struggling too! I have a 2 year old also as well as working 9 days per fortnight I hope I get some energy back 2nd trimester!

• Like 1

honeybarbara

Food is the hardest thing for me. I'm hungry but I don't know what I want so I get frustrated and more hungry. It's really pathetic.

• Like 2

MrsP2014

sleep is my biggest thing, im currently functioning off 4-6 hours a night, which isn't enough for me who's a 8-10 hours minimum person. its been more 4 hours lately and im just exhausted. i tried sleeping propped up on pillows last night as i find when i lay flat i get reflux/heartburn/ nausea but it doesn't happen when i fall asleep in our recliner chair, i managed to get at least 6.5 hours.

all you can do is take it steps at a time and do thing when you can.

first time mum 85

Thanks for the advise everyone :) We are going on a holiday to New Zealand next week and I am really nervous about how I am going to cope! The evenings are ok, but the mornings have been terrible! Not looking forward to morning sickness on a plane!

ThrilledWolf

My mums organized a cleaner just for 2 hours for me tomorrow morning just to help out a little bit

No sick days when your a mummy tho sadly it's 24-7 just gota keep on going and know "this too shall pass" remember that quote I've found it to be a life saver in the newborn days always a good one to help get over the little and big hurdles

Hope your holiday goes smoothly and your morning sickness is better

There's wrist bands you can get that are supposed to help or give Ginger Lollies a go?

Wilo1702

Ah it is so nice to hear some common things, I thought I was being over the top at only 7 weeks pregnant. I'm so tired and working 6 days I'm wondering how I'm going to survive. I'm often hungry but also go blank when my DP asks what I want. I have a very mild but constant nauseous feeling.

It's so nice to hear this is normal haha!

FeralRebelWClaws

I was having bad nausea (or rather motion sickness) in the car and after each morning. But I got seabands (the wristbands) and a friend sent me some essential oils that help with nausea. I wore both this weekend and went away driving all Saturday and Sunday and I didn't feel sick at all (ok except after dinner Saturday, I ate wayyyy too much food lol!)

Though in my case, it also could be that I ate before I drove, which I hadn't been doing. I'll test the theory tomorrow morning, because I will eat but not put the bands on and then drive to work. If I feel sick, then it was the bands and/or the oil. If I feel better, then it was just breakfast lol

Damascus

I'm finding that eating is the only thing that wards off the nausea. I am eating so much though. As soon as I get into work (after I've already eaten my bowl of cereal at home) I then eat a couple of pieces of fruit, dried mango, crackers, nuts, ginger nut biscuits. Then often a yoghurt and a banana just to get through the morning. If I don't eat for more than about half an hour I feel like I am going to spew. Meetings have been difficult, especially the two hour one we had this morning, I had to run out a coupled times and quickly smash down a few ginger nuts.

They probably thought I had diarhorrea.

Have been taking the Blackmores Travel Calm tablets too, which are just dried ginger extract. I think they are working, or perhaps it's just the insane amount of food I am eating.

Anyone else feeling like this?

I'm thinking of buying those wristbands so would love to hear if they've worked for you.

Lou-bags

Not my DIG (I'm in Sept) but this is how I cope with early pregnancy and life:

Eat frequently (my MS is always worse on an empty stomach).

Have cold flavoured drinks on hand (water doesn't cut it when I'm feeling pukey)

Do as little as possible when I'm feeling the worst, and make the most of when I'm feeling good.

Mope.

Reduce my already very low housework standards to essentials only.

Perfect glare if DH even looks like questioning the state of the house, or that toddler is eating dip and crackers on the couch while watching TV while I'm near passed out next to him.

ABC Kids for the toddler.

Try to remember that it will pass soon (sooner for some, later for others)

Hang in there!

• Like 1

Xenia-Jane

I too am barely functional. I have a 12 month old and am almost 14 weeks pregnant and feel as though....*just had to run to the bathroom to vomit*....I'm not tolerating the pregnancy well at all. It was similar with the first one though - nauseous until at least 24 weeks. Luckily I keep most food, water down but my appetite has disappeared and so I've lost a couple of kilos. I've cut down my work hours to 3 days a week and my son is in day care 3 days a week and on the day I have off I have a nanny come and help out. I simply can't look after him properly - totally housebound at present.

I feel privileged to be able to have children but just wish pregnancy for me was more pleasant. I only know one friend who has had severe NVP, so it's hard for them to understand. But both my sisters have had it really badly, one of them diagnosed with HG having to stop work altogether.

Anyway, hope everyone is feeling better now we're in the 2nd trimester.