Sign in to follow this  
j-gray

Rookie questions

j-gray

Hi All, I'm already nesting at full throttle and have bought some beautiful fabrics to play with.

My rookie questions:

* For making baby wraps/blankes with a bit of stretch, can one buy binding that is stretchy ? I can only see it on US sites as spandex binding ? Do we call it something else here ? I know you can diy but as I'm only still starting out I'd prefer to buy at this stage

* I'm using my grans old sewing machine and the re-threading drives me nuts. Do newer machines make that process any easier ?

Jenflea

The stretchy wraps I had just had overlocked edges.

chickendrumstick

I agree with Jingle Flea, just overlock or fold and zigzag the edges, they don't need to be too fancy.

Newer machines do make rethreading easier - mine takes 5-10 seconds to rethread.

j-gray

Thanks ladies ... don't you need an overlocker machine for that ?

wombats

If you want to overlock the edges you need an over ocker. If you don't have one you can fold the edges over twice and use a zig zag stitch over the top.

j-gray

Oooooh I get it now ... Will try the fold and zig zag I think that will work well for the stretch blankets. Thanks so much !

**Tiger*Filly**

If you do want binding a lot of the online shops that sell nappy making supplies will sell 'fold over elastic' which is essentially stretchy binding.

Spotlight has some but not a lot of colours.

If it were me and I didn't have an overlocker (which I don't these days) I would possibly bind it with a strip of its own fabric or with a strip of ribbing. Here's a t-shirt with the neck bound. http://4.bp.blogspot...1600/L_4645.JPG

For that t-shirt I've cut a strip of ribbing about four times the width I want it to be. Then sewn it to the neckline matching the raw edges right sides together, stretching the ribbing more then the shirt fabric, taking about a 0.5mm seam. Then I've just folded the ribbing strip back to the inside of the garment, over the raw edge, enclosing the raw edge. I haven't turned it under on itself on the underside of the neckline, just done a narrow zig zag from the right side of the garment to hold the underside of it in place. Then when I've finished I've trimmed the underside right up to the edge of the zigzag stitching. Because knits don't fray it still looks good on the underside.

Hope that makes sense. It's pretty easy and gives a nice neat finish without needing an overlocker.

Edited by **Tiger*Filly**
  • Like 1

j-gray

Wow that is so neat !

I tried doing the fold over with zig zag but the machine was not into it at all on the jersey fabric :/ I really have a lot to learn.

Thanks TigerFilly I will check out fold over elastic

**Tiger*Filly**

Did you have the right needle? (Sorry if that's an obvious question). For the jersey you need a ballpoint needle.

It can also help to lighten the pressure of the presser foot a little, so it's not pressing as hard on the stretchy fabric. A walking foot is a good investment too, it will stop the pressure of the presser foot from pulling stretch fabric out of shape.

• Like 1

j-gray

It was the needle ! Got a ball point needle and using zigzag stitch worked a treat. Thanks tigerfilly :)

DirtyStreetPie

Ooooh, I love this! Just learned something. Now I know to use the zig-zag stitch! Teehee!