Sign in to follow this  
Jaffacakes

WDYT - Close down playgroup or last ditch recruitment effort?

Jaffacakes

Hi all,

I have been with a playgroup in my local area on and off since 2012. At the end of 2014 a large number of the families left and since no one else put their hand up, I said I would coordinate it for 2015 (which I did).

Attendance, however was always quite poor. At the start of 2015 I stuck up a few flyers at local child health clinics, local libraries and a few other areas. I also advertised for members on the State Playgroup noticeboard. We had our first session this week with only 4 other kids attending.

To be quite honest I am a bit over the whole thing now and as my son will be attending preschool on playgroup day this year I can not attend from 2nd term onwards. I let everyone know at the end of last year of this fact and requested someone new to take over the reigns (no volunteers as yet).

Anyway, my question is do you think:

1) I should try a final push for new members in the hope that the group will decide to keep going (with someone at the helm) or

2) should I let those who attended this know that we will be ceasing pretty much immediately (maybe end of term 1)?

Fees are also due pretty soon and although the attendance fees are paid on a term-by-term basis, the Playgroup Association fee is paid annually (although is transferable to another playgroup if the member decides to go elsewhere).

(Sorry for the essay)

3cubs

Where are u jaffacakes? What state? Why don't u talk to existing members

Bone Apple Tea

Chat to the other families and see what they want to do,

FWIW when I attended a playgroup years ago that fizzled out in a similar manner. In the end the remaining members were pretty good friends. We just met up on a regular basis at each others houses.

• Like 2

Sentient Puddle

I would inform the parents that you will be ceasing your role as coordinator at the end of the term due to your Son's preschool commitments and they are welcome to take over the running. If you wanted to try one last recruitment drive though a "bring a friend" session might introduce a few new families. Good luck

• Like 2

caitiri

I'm part of a playgroup that has been running a long time. In 2013/14 we thought that might be it but last year and this year we have gone from 2 very small groups to running sessions 5 days per week.

You need to consider demographics are there many families where you live, the easiest ways to figure this out is 1 how busy your maternal child health nurse is and 2 sessional kinder enrolments.

How many other groups are in your area. Is there someone who could caretake the Coordinators position like a church volunteer? Have you considered offering the space to a mothers group which might push the playgroup to continue a few more years.