Beqa

Volunteer ideas for my 70yo father - Sydney

Beqa

I need to find something for my dad to do or he is going to drive one of us mad.

He doesn't have any admin skills. Needs to take rather than give direction. He wouldn't do well being given a lot of responsibility. Very fit for his age, but his hands aren't great.

He can drive a truck or bus, loves sport and music.

Does anyone have any ideas? Please???

• Like 1

needs to get out

My dad is a volunteer driver for his local public hospital - takes patients home when they can't afford a taxi or get a lift.

• Like 2

Beqa

My dad is a volunteer driver for his local public hospital - takes patients home when they can't afford a taxi or get a lift.

That is a great suggestion! I will follow up in his area.

Weirdly Sane

If he is handy, point him in the direction of a men's shed: they do volunteer work making toys for disadvantaged children.

He could become a volunteer visitor for isolated elderly (Red Cross run a service doing this).

Meals on wheels delivery?

• Like 3

Beqa

These are all great. Thank you all.

eponee

He could volunteer at an aged care facility. From experience, a lot of residents dont get visitors. Does your dad enjoy playing card and board games? Sing-alongs are popular - does he play an instrument such as the piano, guitar, piano accordion etc?

• Like 5

red_squirrel

Is he handy at all?

Many visitor attractions such train museums, the maritime museum etc often have volunteers to answer questions and fix the machinery.

Various Sydney walks have volunteers explaining things. Eg quarantine station and the old military stuff up that way

What's he interested in or always wanted to have time for eg steam trains.

The bonus is he will meet other older blokes I the same position.

Edited by red_squirrel
  • Like 1

Agnetha

Truck pick up for charity donations , seniors bus trips , hospital appointments , tutoring English with new arrivals

• Like 1

kpingitquiet

Meals on wheels!

• Like 2

Ianthe

You can go to volunteeringaustralia.org or govolunteer.com.au and enter search details. There's lots of info on there.

• Like 2

Purpleporcupine

Your local library might need volunteers to deliver books to housebound people.

• Like 2

CaSPer79

My dad drives the bus for the local support group. Drives a certain route to pick the elderly up to take them shopping and then drops them back with all their shopping at their door.

mandelbrot

English conversation classes - they are often run out of local community centres/churches.

Lifesgood

He could volunteer at an aged care facility. From experience, a lot of residents dont get visitors. Does your dad enjoy playing card and board games? Sing-alongs are popular - does he play an instrument such as the piano, guitar, piano accordion etc?

This is what I was going to suggest. There are so many bored, lonely people stuck in nursing homes.