Poke

Silly question

Poke

I've had a complicated pregnancy and on Thursday evening my waters broke at 33 weeks. I'm currently in hospital waiting for either labor to start out for them to induce me at 34 weeks. Baby is happy and is a good size and I know 34 weeks is a good gestation so I am feeling pretty good about things.

Now for the silly bit... Will bubba need clothes straight away? I've been in hospital for the last two weeks so am not at all organised. I've had a baby in special care before and I know they wear clothes there but what about in NICU?

I would love to be able to buy/wash some things for the baby with my son but I'm not sure if that can wait until after baby is born or if I should ask someone to do it for me now?

I know it's not important in the scheme of things but I am sitting in a small hospital room with not a lot else to think about.

Mooples

A friend's baby was born at a similar gestation and she didn't wear clothes for the first few weeks. She was in an isolet with just a nappy to regulate her temperature.

Good luck with it all. Mine broke at 34 and they waited until 36 for the induction so I know it's a nervous wait!

Bone Apple Tea

If the baby is in an isolette then they won't really need clothes. They may have a lot of leads attached to them and clothes aren't really all that practical. My DD was nappy only for the first week or so (she was under lights for jaundice). As the leads started to come off she wore hospital supplied clothes.

When she was in an open cot she was wearing onsies that I bought up to the hospital.

ETA best of luck with everything. I found knowing I was going to have a premmie baby extremely stressful.

Edited by Senna

Caribou
:) mine came early at 36, she was covered in cords measuring everything! Like PPs said, unlikely they'll need clothes. Mine actually had some spares they lent out in ICU. Plus they have blankets to wrap babies up in too, I wouldn't worry. If you do end up needing clothes, we were directed to the chemist on the first floor which sold the 000000 clothes we needed! You won't need to stray too far :)

Feralmummacat

DS1 was born at 34 weeks and he was in clothes within about 5 days. The hospital had lots of big babies born and I was given heaps of 00000 and 0000 clothes by the other amazing Mum's in hospital as most of their children went straight into 000.

When DS2 was in the NICU (he was 32 weeks) the 34 weekers were in clothes varying from a couple of days to more than a week. It all really depends on how the baby is going and the individual pead and nursing staff. We had some nurses that liked clothes on and other nurses that said while they were in the isolette it was a waste of washing and just got in the way.

I recommend asking to do a tour of the NICU, they will show you a baby of similar gestation and you can ask the staff lots of questions. I found this really helpful and when I was wheeled in first time after giving birth it was not as much of a shock as I knew what to expect. I even did the tour the second time round as it was a different hospital and the tour is all tailored to your gestation.

Have you thought about shopping online with your son and then you can just get someone to pick up the items for you.

Good luck

MuminMtEliza

Hi OP,

My 34 weeker was in only a nappy for a week or so. My 35 weeker was in clothes after 24 hrs. The NICU my son was in certainly weren't fussed if the babies were dressed or not - when they were able to be dressed we were advised but also warned not to leave clothes there or they might end up going with the sheets to be washed and you probably wouldn't see them again.

Good luck OP and try not to worry too much.

Jenflea

I didn't have a premmie, but my baby wore the tiny hospital gowns for the first few days. So much easier for new parents to deal with when changing nappies!

daisy007

My 32 weeker we went into clothes around 3 weeks after he was born from memory. It wasn't long before he came out into an open cot.

My waters went at 30 weeks and I was stuck on hospital until he was born, they tried to get me to 34 weeks but impatient little baby had his own ideas. it's not much fun. Good luck, I hope it all goes smoothly and your baby is home soon.

.Jerry.

My baby was born at 27 weeks. She wore nothing at first, then the hospital supplied teeny tiny gowns. I kept her in hospital gowns until we left hospital. In the open cot she had a hospital gown then hospital blankets etc.

I didn't see the point of fussing with her own clothes while an in-patient.

If your baby is born at 34 weeks +, you may be able to take baby home within 2 weeks... :)

Good luck

• Like 1

Reading_Mum

Our 35 week twins only wore nappies for the first week, then wore hospital supplied clothes. We were at a big hospital though ( too many clothes went missing or ended up in the hospital washing). Then when moved back to our local hospital, in a regional area, they wore our clothes. Good luck with everything!

DragonHorse

My bubs were not premmies and they wore the little hospital tunic/gown things until the day we went home as I was warned by many friends and midwives that meconium poo stains were impossible to get out so why risk it getting over clothes that i would would have to wash.

Riotproof

They have gowns and when moving into open cots they have jumpsuits and cardigans etc. I would just use what they provide because it will inevitably get caught up in their laundry and is a pain to get back.

You may be able to get away with just having 0000's too. So I'd wait and see.

Kmart/target/bigw all have 00000 now, so they aren't as hard to find as they once were.

Mistletoe Kisses

My 3rd was a 36wker and just wore the open back baby guernsey thingy and a nappy for the first 2 days in the NICU then when he came to room with me I just asked the midwives for a couple more. I wasn't prepared so gave XP a list of stuff to bring but honestly none of what I thought I'd need was actually needed bar my personal things as the hospital supplied nappies, wipes, bum cream, clothing, blankets, a beanie, bottles and formula since bf'ing didn't happen this time and baby wash. And probably afew other things I can't think of right now.

Might be best to ask what your hospital will provide but I'm sure they'll be happy to provide the necessities till you're able to get some brought to you.

Riotproof

Poke, I think you're in Melbourne, aren't you? It's a shame because I've got some 00000 girl clothes I want to pass on, but I'm having a hard time doing it.

Bearynice

Our twins were 36 weekends. They wore hospital supplied. We then took in our own little suits.

Our neonatal nurses made signs saying that they were in own clothes. Leave washing for mum n dad.

I think wait and see. Then if u need clothes I'm sure someone will grab some for u.

Poke

Thanks everyone. I think I'll just wait and see then hopefully it will be something I can do later down the track. Apparently someone from NICU is coming down tomorrow to chat with us about what to except so I will ask them. To be honest I think my nesting urge is just kicking in. Earlier today I decided it would be a good idea to teach myself to knit, despite the fact I'll be taking this baby back to Bangladesh in a few months.

Thanks riot proof we are in Canberra but I appreciate the thought

• Like 1

Veritas Vinum Arte

I know my sister was told not to bring in her own clothes when my nephew was in NICU. At first like PP said it was just nappy worn. Weeks later it was hospital clothes when he was in SCN. The hospital would not guarantee that clothes would not go missing if you brought them in.