Sign in to follow this  
evasz

Is anyone using here an Epi-no device?

evasz

Are you using now or anyone used an Epi-no device? How much progress (in cm) did you achieved in how many weeks? What was the starting point? And what about results? Were you able to avoid the episiotomy or tearing?

I was beginning the training with Epi-no at 35 weeks and doing it only since a week, with little progress. My starting point was 5,5 cm and now after a week of training achieved 6 cm. I'm wondering if ever will be able to achieve the 10 cm with so slow progressing. At 35 weeks the baby had an 9 cm Bpd...

Hands Up

I can't remember Exactly where I started sorry but I did get to ten over a four week period. I still got a second degree tear but I healed well and perhaps I would have torn worse without it?

• Like 1

BlackButterfly

I'm curious about people's opinions on this too.

I'm 32 weeks and I really want to get one, but it is a lot of money to spend.

Anyone else used it?

• Like 1

MrsFrosty

I didn't use one. Got a third degree tear. I'll be doing perineal massage next time. I believe there is some evidence around that supports perineal massage.

Edited by MrsFrosty
  • Like 1

MrsFrosty

I used it. Started at about 4cm and got up to 9cm within three weeks I think. I stopped at 9cm because I figured that was about enough - it was more of a mental thing for me anyway. I did tear but only because I wasn't allowed to push slowly - they couldn't find DDs heartbeat so I got her out pretty quick! I only had a second degree year despite the very quick pushing. The midwife said that if I'd been allowed to pant/breath through it I probably wouldn't have torn. So I think the Epi-no is worth it and will definitely be using it for number 2.

We had a similar situation. Couldn't find dd's heartbeat, vontouse delivery of her head with episiotomy, epi extended on delivery of her shoulders. I had all the risk factors for tears. Long 2nd stage, instrumental delivery, lithotomy position. I hope that next time I'll have a much slower, controlled and less scary delivery and avoid a 3rd degree again.

• Like 1

MummaBlossom

I contemplated getting one but instead did perineal massage and had no tearing! Was my first baby with induction.

• Like 1

evasz

I used it. Started at about 4cm and got up to 9cm within three weeks I think. I stopped at 9cm because I figured that was about enough - it was more of a mental thing for me anyway. I did tear but only because I wasn't allowed to push slowly - they couldn't find DDs heartbeat so I got her out pretty quick! I only had a second degree year despite the very quick pushing. The midwife said that if I'd been allowed to pant/breath through it I probably wouldn't have torn. So I think the Epi-no is worth it and will definitely be using it for number 2.

Thank you! Yes, according to my midwife we can get good results only if we will have time for pushing and will not arise any emergency situation. Today I was able to stretch to 7 cm in a 25 min session :) So, there is a hope for me.

Kiri85

I only got to about 7.5cm with the epi no before my first delivery. I think it helped psychologically.

My daughter became bradycardic so they gave me an episiotomy which took ages to heal and was quite sensitive for some time. I delivered my 2nd without any tear, just a graze that didn’t require stitches. I think I used the epi no a bit but I preferred my husband giving me a perineal massage more haha

I am a doctor and worked in obs for 2 years and truth be told you cannot control tearing always. Some women are just more prone to it. Some women have amazing stretchy connective tissue which is genetic. The two things that matter most are staying calm and overcoming the urge to cramp up when the stretch is searing and burning, and a midwife who is skilled at coaching the woman and protecting the perineum.

Even if you do year though, it’s not the end of the world, it sounds horrible, but once the birth is over and you hold your baby, you stop caring so much!

• Like 1

CallMeFeral

I only got to about 7.5cm with the epi no before my first delivery. I think it helped psychologically.

My daughter became bradycardic

I'm exactly the same up to here. Or maybe it was 8cm, but I definitely didn't get to 10. It definitely helped me psychologically though, as before that even the thought of something close to that size coming out scared the crap out of me, but having gotten close I was able to trust the process a bit more.

Due to worries about my daughter's heartbeat they ended up using forceps, but the ob was great and did not ask to do an episiotomy. I did tear (1st/2nd degree maybe?) but apparently that was actually on the shoulders. We did the head all gently gently and then I thought "well I'm all done now" and pushed the shoulders out at great speed, I didn't know that could be an issue.

fig_jam

Even if you do year though, it’s not the end of the world, it sounds horrible, but once the birth is over and you hold your baby, you stop caring so much!

What a dismissive attitude. Some women experience lifelong complications from birth injuries. Some women are psychologically damaged from birth trauma.

A lot of work is being done to change attitudes around these issues and give them the attention and serious consideration they deserve. Writing them off with the patronising throw away "it wont matter when you have your cute baby" is short sighted, sexist and unhelpful.

Glad you're not my doctor.

• Like 5

Luci

This is still a relevant topic for discussion but it's also a zombie thread that has been resurrected.

• Like 1

Soontobegran
Posted (edited)

So you're not a women's health doctor then ?

Edited by Soontobegran
  • Like 1

Expelliarmus

Spoken as someone without a childbirth injury and lifelong complications.

• Like 1

CallMeFeral

This is still a relevant topic for discussion but it's also a zombie thread that has been resurrected.

Wow I totally missed that!

Jenflea

And she's deleted her posts.

• Like 1