Ianthe

Reading Challenge 2016

Ianthe

This past year some of us have kept track of the books we're reading and had a goal of how many books we wanted to read. If you want to participate then just write your goal and join us!

71Cath 26

Agnetha 40

anikal 50

Astrocyte 26

~bluebird~

Bunsen the Feral 20

cardamom 24

DragonsGrace 30

FollowTheSpiders 26

frillythings 104

GreenEgg 35

HandsUp 24

Ianthe 80

Itchy_Witch 30

Jane Jetson 100

jojobeanie 52

LadyDoor 70

Lady Sybil Vines 10

Loore 30

Loz07 12

lozzylots 12

Lunagirl 100

melaine 20

mintpatty 52

mmeo10 52

monet 50

NunSoFeral 20

oceangirl 25

Olive-pip 5

RipeWickedPlum 30

rusty22 40

SisterMaryElephant 40

Straight*No*Chaser 30

~strawberry~ 25

Tall Poppy 52

tans999 26

toomanybooks 100

two_ones 30

Wacky Wobbler 12

Edited by Ianthe

Wacky Wobbler

I'm in. Pre child I read 2-3 books a week. After DS was born it's gone up to 15-20 a day but they are all childrens books. I have only read one book for me in the last 3 years so I plan to read at least 1 book a month and hope to mix it up and not just read biographies or true crime.

RipeWickedPlum

I'm in too!

My first thought was for 2 books a month, I go through stages with reading and watching tv... I can read 4 books in a week and then not read for another 2 months. Or I'm just reading fanfiction, which really isn't a book! Though some of them are longer than most of the books I read!

So I was thinking 24 books and then thought I may as well round it up to 30 books.

I mainly read romance or young adult or paranormal romance, so there isn't a lot of meat in them... I might try and read a few that are outside my "normal".

RocktonResident

Count me in again! I think I stoppe updating my list partway through, but goodreads tells me I read 72 this year. My circumstances will be changing slightly next year so I will aim for 30 and hopefully surpass that.

monet

I'm in. Up to #49 in this years challenge so will aim for 50 in 2016.

tans999

Im in! I'm going to go for one a fortnight, so 26. Am also going to try genres I don't normally read such as autobiographies, fantasy, along with a few good re-reads.

two_ones

I'm in again.

I aimed for 28 in 2015 and kind of forgot to keep track of them. I don't think I quite got there (maybe 15?)

I'm going to aim high for 2016 and try and get to 30!

12togo

I think I will join this year. I read a lot pre kids - but I've been really slack the last few years. My aim is 50 new books. I'll source them from second hand sellers and the library as well as buying new. Firstly I am going to finish The Malazan Books of the Fallen. I'm at book 8 now. Good luck to everyone.

• Like 1

TruffleFlakes

Im in also. Ive just been able to start reading again as my babies are 18 months, 2.5 years and 4.

I hope to read 26 books minimum. My husband works FIFO so when his home i get more down time to read.

I enjoy young adult paranormal, biographies and crime but will read most genres with good reviews.

Im currently going through good reads and marking my "want to read" books.

Would love to see what others are reading.

Hands Up

I'm in as a newbie. I have a 3 month old and 17 month old so not much time to myself.... I will aim for one book a month :-)

Looking forward to hearing what everyone else is reading as I am out of touch!

Tyfle Hour

I'll put my hand up this year, wish I had done last year actually! I'll aim for 40 books, am also studying so need to factor that in.

two_ones

I've just signed up for Goodreads so I should be able to keep track better this year!

~strawberry~

I'm in again, will aim for 25 this time.

I love Goodreads!!

oceangal

I'm in for the first time. I have a habit of reading books that I enjoyed in my childhood, teens and twenties so this year's goal is 25 unread books.

Astrocyte

I'm in again. My goal for 2015 was 26 books but I only read 14, so I'll aim for 26 for my 2016 goal. I already have a huge to-be-read pile and got 15 books for Christmas, along with 5 more coming in the mail soon so I won't be buying many more books anytime soon (or so I tell myself).

DragonsGrace

I'm in too. I'm going to aim for 30 this year. I actually read a whole lot more last year but a lot of them were really short and easy Agatha Raisin books so I could read one in a night or two. I'm all caught up with her series though so my books this year will be longer reads

Lady Sybil Vimes

I'm in again. I'll have a newborn in February so I'm going to assume I'll spend most of the year sleep-deprived and I'll set the bar lower this time around. I'm making ten books my 2016 goal. I'm hoping I'll read more than that but if it doesn't happen that's okay.

mintpatty

I'm in, I'll go for 52...one a week.

I have 150 unread books on my ereader, so that will put a serious dent in my to read list.

Read List

#1 Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom

#2 The Snow Child - Eowyn Ivey

#3 Playing Dead - Julia Heaberlin

#4 We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves - Karen Joy Fowler

#5 The Beachfront Guest House - Vanessa Greene

#6 The Secret Scripture - Sebastian Barry

#7 The Japanese Lover - Rani Manicka

#8 The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window

#9 The Poppy Factory - Liz Trelow

#10 Frog Music - Emma Donoghue

#11 Comfort & Joy - Kristen Hannah

#12 The Girl In The Red Coat - Kate Hamer

#13 The Lake House - Kate Morton

#14 The Lost Wife - Alyson Richman

Edited by mintpatty

Nasty Bunsen

I'm in again. Managed to read 16 this year (was aiming for 12) so I'll try and get to 20 next year.

cardamom

Me too please! Thanks Ianthe for starting us off :)

I aimed for 26 last year, but didn't quite get there (think I ended up on 21 or thereabouts). I'll aim for 24 this year - 2 a month. Last year I started my count from Christmas onwards, so I feel justified adding my first book for the year:

#1 - Attachments, Rainbow Rowell. I quite enjoyed this.

Does anyone want to share their top one or two books that they read in 2015, to give us some ideas/inspiration for 2016?

One I really enjoyed, and found very thought-provoking, was Dietland by Sarai Walker. I also loved Kissing In America, by Margo Rabb; this was a sweet, light - but not trashy - read.

Toomanybooks

I'm in. 100 books for me, I'm a fast reader and we don't watch much TV.

Ianthe

Have put list in first post and updated to this point. Happy reading!

GreenEgg

I am in! I'm going to aim for 35. Good luck everyone

Olive-pip

I'm in too - but only for about 5 books of my own, which sounds so little by comparison to everyone else! I still read so much to DD8 and find I don't read much else (apart from reading for uni). I read classic children's novels to her (currently reading Narnia chronicles) and I enjoy the experience too - many are new to me. However this year I have decided to buy and re-read some of the novels I loved in my teens and have never owned or revisited. Maybe next year I'll try some new adult titles! I am considering for this year:

Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Duncton Wood chronicles by William Horwood

Magician by Raymond E Feist

The Chrysalids by John Wyndham

And I've never read Tolkein's Silmarillion, and think I'll try.

Edited by Olive-pip

two_ones

First book down - woo hoo!

Just finished The Midwife's Confession. A real page turner but entirely convoluted and unrealistic. A good read though!

• Like 1