She needs to run around.

She doesn't "just" need to run around.

• Like 1

Kelly Davatari

"ADHD doesn't exist, he just needs more discipline"

Uh huh, cause it's that easy.

• Like 3

LittleBear

Apparently we give him medication to make him docile.

Reality is our Paediatrician put him on Ritalin to help with his lack of focus and inattentiveness.

• Like 4

LittleMissPink

"She's fine, look, she just sits and plays minecraft for hours, she can concentrate doing that!"

Umm yep!

Edited by LittleMissPink
  • Like 3

Amica

My mother: But he's not hyperactive... ADHD kids kick walls. I've never seen a kid so quiet and polite, vague and dreamy as E. You couldn't find a less hyperactive kid.

Me: How many friggen times do I have to explain what ADHD is to you!

The above argument is circular. It has happened word for word many times even though I have explained what Predominantly Innattentive is, ad nauseam. I get the same from others too about my son and not being hyperactive but a quick explaination about the different types of ADHD is usually enough. My mother is willfully ignorant.

Edited by B.feral3
  • Like 4

PurplePower

"Cant you manage it through diet?"

Been there tried that, got the T-shirt

• Like 3

JJ

Just about all the ones already mentioned, plus:

"It's time to have her re-assessed"... (less than a year after original diagnosis).

"She's so quiet and polite and never misbehaves"...

and perhaps my favourite:

"Oh, but it wasn't a professional diagnosis"... (nope, the paed, OT and psych were all just doing it as a hobby!)

Edited by JJ
  • Like 3

kshy

"He needs to come spend a week with me - I'd get him into line"

Yep sure, you have him for a week, I might get some respite - reality is you wont last a day

• Like 2

vicky33

Thank you all for making me feel better. Having a crapola time, can't get the meds right, but oh lord do we need them. Not fun to be made to feel we are exaggerating, making it all up!

Mpjp is feral

OMG I have heard them all, and we are only a week into the medication - thank you for making me feel not so alone!!

My favourite is that when people hear your child is on Ritalin they start recounting stories of the worst behaved, violent child they know - who allegedly is on Ritalin.

Also "oh I could never medicate my child like that". LOVE that one.

• Like 1

MiSS_E

OMG you DRUG your child??!

Yes, just like you drug yourself each morning with your birth control pills.

• Like 2

baddmammajamma

These are all related to medication (if I branched out, I could provide about 50 bingo spaces, unfortunately! So much misinformation out there!)

“Drugging your child is the ‘easy’ way to manage their behavior.”

“Only lazy parents medicate their children for bad behavior.”

“You can spot the kids on Ritalin. They are the ones who are zoned out.”

“Why don’t you just change their diet?”

“I’d never put my kid on Ritalin. It’s like putting them on speed.”

“Don’t put him on Ritalin. I hear that kids on it become addicted. You will ruin him forever.”

• Like 3

TwinMumNat

"its because I wasnt around to give him a good happy childhood. I blame myself" says a formerly estranged (soon to be estranged again) relative.

Oh sorry ppl - I just realised this was the ADHD bingo thread. My son has ASD.

Its still a good one...

Edited by TwinMumNat

Praetor VitaeChel

"ADHD is just made up by the Pharma companies to make money"

ARGHHHHHHHhhhhh! :rant:

"In my day kids didn't have ADHD, they had discipline"

Oh really? Then maybe you would like to ask some of the diagnosed Adult ADHD sufferers about that. Start with my dad (in his 60's) - my grandmother would have loved to have had a small portion of the help for him, that I have with my DS. My mum has a great one about a drunken nun beating her at school too... Or perhaps you would like to discuss this with my Best Friends partner (late30's) who went thru so much during his childhood and still struggles every day with his problems, but somehow manages to run his own business. ADHD is not just in kids. My child consistently gets told he is such a gentleman and what beautiful manners he has, but you think I need to beat him to get him focused at school? Or perhaps lock him in his room to stop the impulsive behaviour? :omg:

"Have you tried parenting classes/ diet/ routine?"

ARE YOU FOR REAL? I tried classes, I tried diet, I tried counseling (for me). I already blamed myself - I don't need you to make me feel responsible. My poor DS has the earliest bedtime of his friends, because it takes so long for him to wind down and be able to sleep. He does his homework the minute he walks through the door so that his meds don't wear off. He is on a gluten free diet (intolerance) and doesn't get to eat what other kids eat. You know what - if he needs a little break from structure every now and then, he gets it. He is such a good kid, who never complains about his meds or his diet and helps others. People who know him tell us we are doing a great job and people who say this make me want to curl up and cry.

• Like 1

hellsmail

my son is 17 and going into year 12 and got diagnosed with ADHD in the middle of year 9. Had all that, smack him, do this, do that, he just thinks outside the box arghhhh. Got into contact with a great Dr. who encouraged my son to read up and discover what he had. He also got diagnosed with OCD, and my son and the Dr. discuss different medications and whatnot. He Did Physcology this year and hated it but his teacher told me of a wonderful incident that happen in class, They were discussing ADHD and OCD and some of the girls turned to my son and said you haven't got ADHD or OCD, the teacher said he just sat back and watched while my son launched into a lecture about the different types of ADHD and just because you have it doesn't mean that you bounce of walls all day and he said that before ritalin he did and they just dont rmember, then the girls said that he didn't have OCD as he didn't line up his pens and books and that he was messy so he couldn't have OCD and my son went off again with the different types of OCD. His teacher said he was really impressed with my sons knowlege and though my son was a bit forceful :rolleyes: he put his case well and the others in his class in their place. Im now looking for a Dr for my son to move to as his current Dr only sees kids, I need to find this Dr so I can start letting go and he manages his medication himself.

• Like 2

SCG23

We found the best way to deal with it was to simply not tell anyone who did not need to know, grandparents included. That has worked really well for us.

• Like 1