Kylie Orr

OTT primary school graduations. Are they the new trend?

Abcde-La-A

I finished primary school in 1991. I recall a special assembly and I think there was a very low-key BBQ-and-disco type affair one Friday night. Definitely no limo or formal frock!

I think it's nice to mark the occasion, because it is the end of one phase of life and a shift into another - but I think it's pretty OTT to make it into a massive formal event. And probably not as much fun for a bunch of 12 year olds as eating lollies and running around!

~Kestrel~

Is the the norm for the year 6 kids to have a say in, or vote on what kind of celebration they would like? Do the majority choose a formal dinner and dance over another activity if it is up to them?

Heather11

Is the the norm for the year 6 kids to have a say in, or vote on what kind of celebration they would like? Do the majority choose a formal dinner and dance over another activity if it is up to them?

I am pretty sure they did when DD 'graduated' last year. A choice between a BBQ and disco in the school hall or a dinner at a local function centre. The function centre won.

The school strongly discouraged limos etc, which there were none, and students taking the day off to get hair and nails done. There was a dress code of no jeans, tshirts or strapless dresses.

Most of the girls wore party dresses and boys slacks and collared, buttoned shirts. A few went suit and tie.

They had a group photo taken and then you could get individual/ family shots taken if you had booked in.

They had prepared a slideshow of each of the graduating children with their first school photo and their year 7 photo and a few school time memories from each. This was shown throughout the evening and each child received a copy on disc as a memento.

It was nice to go out to dinner and all the kids seemed to enjoy it.

My primary school graduation consisted of a school social with pies and pasties for tea and some games and dancing. Family weren't involved at all.