Geri72

Watching PG movie at daycare

Geri72

Just wondered what people think of kids watching a PG Disney movie at daycare? They had 3 and 4 year olds in a room watching it and it goes for nearly 2 hours. It was over sleep time so my DD said the kids who normally sleep didn't sleep because they wanted to watch it.

Broader context is that there has been a recent change in staff so things are currently unsettled. Multiple different teachers in the preschool room over the course of each week, a number of whom don't seem to have any formal qualifications. There seems to be a lot of play with not much learning happening.

I know they are trying to juggle things but the wheels seem to be falling off. Am I right to say something?

Edited by Geri72

SplashingRainbows

Absolutely no way. I would be ropeable.

Find out who the authorized supervisor is and find out what staff are on and what their qualifications are. And consider reporting to the regulator if you think they're flaunting the rules.

• Like 3

marple

Wouldn't bother me but I think that it will bother most of the people on here.

• Like 9

qak

That movie doesn't sound like a good idea for pre-schoolers!

• Like 2

Mooples

We aren't allowed to show pg movies to prep kids at school so there is no way they would be allowed to at a daycare.

• Like 2

Genabee

The kids at my DD's daycare last year were watching Frozen during the week before Christmas... That is PG. I didn't think much of it at the time, but then, DD had watched it a million times before then... And we had workshopped death etc. a lot by that point.

For me it would depend on why the movie has that rating.

• Like 3

Geri72

Thanks everyone. I am more perturbed that it was PG (Tangled) and my DD was scared but also think that nearly 2 hours of TV at daycare is too much. A short, age appropriate show now and then is fine but this seems inappropriate.

PooksLikeChristmas

Edited sorry just saw update

Has this broader issue been going on for long?

Edited by Feral_Pooks
  • Like 1

Riotproof

I don't think any movie should be shown at naptime.

• Like 3

Future-self

No I wouldn't be happy. At all. I believe that I should be familiar with the movies and themes being introduced to my small children and I may not know that movie. Plus I talk them through confusing parts of scary parts etc. so any and all movie watching is done as a family here.

Plus I need kindy to do educational and worthwhile activities ALL THE TIME so all screen time can be on my time thanks :)

• Like 6

Mrs Claus

I don't agree with tv at daycare, it seems lazy to me. At school I can understand as its one teacher all day, I don't see the need for it at daycare

• Like 3

Just Another Cat

Jurassic Park is PG

I wouldn't be worried about an occasional movie but for that age group only G would be appropriate.

• Like 3

mivimummy

Hmm - on one hand, DD2 saw Tangled at that age and it became a favourite. It has some "scary" bits but honestly it's quite mild.

But I don't think I would like daycare making that judgement call on my behalf.

Having said that, I would be mildly irritated, nothing more, (unless my kid freaked out). I'm assuming this might be because of school hols? I know DD1's preschool wound their program down in the holidays and there were movie days, disco days etc.

• Like 2

IkeaAddict

DS daycare doesn't have TVs but they do have iPads and usage is strictly limited. All they are allowed to watch is youtube educational stuff

• Like 1

axiomae

A movie, yes, that would make me upset.

I get a bit upset when DD occasionally watches Octonauts on rainy days when they can't go outside.

• Like 1

Geri72

Feral Pooks - about 2 weeks so not long. The staff member (centre leader) left 2 days after we were told about it with no transition plan in place so something is clearly amiss.

My DD starts school next year so we just have to suck it up for a few more months but it really p*sses me off that we pay a fortune for daycare/preschool ($150 a day at this centre) and the quality is so totally random.

Perhaps I should have put this in venting!

Bearynice

Our old daycare was only allowed to show g rated.

A whole movie is a bit much. Thirty mins max.

I'd be bringing it up with the director.

• Like 1

WaitForMe

I would be furious!

DD 3yo gets scared in many shows, even ABC4Kids has several that she can't watch. I've tried talking through them and reassuring her but she will have none of it. She is just not ready.

I have yet to find a movie she can watch the whole way through.

I wouldn't be happy about skipping nap time either. When my DD was in childcare she had huge problems sleeping there and it created so many dramas. The centre creating reasons for her to skip would've just made it worse.

And 2 hours of it! Terrible.

• Like 2

tenar

I would be furious. That film would be inappropriate for many of the children (many G rated films are too much for my children) and in any case isn't it obvious that a Parental-Guidance rated film is for parents to decide about?

I'd be complaining to the director immediately and loudly. Not appropriate at all.

• Like 1

Agnetha

If actually be escalating past your cc centre.

• Like 1

JustMyGirl

I wouldn't be happy about daycare showing any movies or TV to my DD unless it was a movie day and I was told in advance. I like to monitor her screen time. Plus a daycare centre should be able to care for the children without the use of screen entertainment.

And don't even get me started on kids missing naps becaus of it.

• Like 1

ekbaby

Wouldn't have thought they could show pg movies without parents permission so this would annoy me if my child was affected by scary movies.

Watching movies occasionally I don't have an issue with, they used to do this at my oldest son preschool about once a term towards the end of the term.

• Like 1

Mumtotwo13

There are never any movies at my kids day care. If there was I would ask the centre director what was going on.

• Like 1

~Jolly_F~

Wouldnt worry me unless it was an everyday occurrence, then I would probably say something.

• Like 1

Woody80

I don't believe any TV or movie should be shown at daycare or preschool, that is not what I pay them to do. PG or not. I would be very unhappy.

• Like 2