Sign in to follow this  
Guest Grateful_Mum

Recommendations for a good family car that will fit 3 car seats.

Guest Grateful_Mum

With #3 on the way I need to buy a bigger car that has enough room and anchor points for three car seats.

Any recommendations?

Any cars I should steer clear of?

Natttmumm

We have a klugar - which fits 3 seats. It is a tight fit though

Beancat

We have a pajero 7 seater

The three car seats fit fine across the middle row. We have the back row permanently down and have ample boot space

It is however handy having the back row, on the odd occasion we have had to transport the babysitter or a grandparent with us if we've been going out and its very handy

I really like it. Its reasonably fuel efficient and very reliable. Ours has a reversing camera which is a must have with three car seats across the back blocking my view

The only downside is the servicing costs are a little high

PS - I used to have a territory. This was fine too with 3 car seats and cheaper than a pajero, just very thirsty on the petrol. If you get a territory get a diesel model

littlepoppet

A Territory will easily fit 3 seats across. Very comfortable to drive too.

tiggy2

Territory is very wide across the middle and easily fits 3 of any model. 7 seats is great when you need but the boot is tiny with third row up.

Down sides: can't access 3rd row from boot, so if you have three car seats in the middle extra passengers have to climb through the boot

Fuel economy not great

Fossy

Most cars will fit three across if you have the right seats. I think there's a pinned post about it?

Edited by Fossy

Feral timtam

There's a pinned post about what cars will fit 3 across, not sure if it's been updated recently though.

However, if it has three seatbelts across the back there will be a combination of seats that will puzzle together three across, my old car was a Proton Persona and I had three forward facing across the back in that. The only reason I upgraded to a larger car was my youngest is getting close to coming out of the five point harness and that car did not have three lap sash seatbelts in the back.

CrankyM

It really depends on what sort of car you are looking for and what your budget is. The car restraints section has a thread pinned about three across combos in different cars.

I have a Hyundai santé fe. You can fit all sorts of combinations of seats three across the back and then other combinations don't work. What sort of seats do you currently have? Which child will get a new seat? Could you possibly fit a three across combo in your current car? What ages are your children going to be when you have no three?

• Like 1

Awesome101

Hyundai Santa Fe fits three across the back. If you get the 7 seater option the 6th and 7th seats split so you have the option of none, one or both up.

AnotherFeral

Most largeish cars will fit 3 across when they are younger.

The problems I've run into are more when they are older (my eldest is 8)

- fighting. My eldest sits in the front now mainly for this reason.

- rear seat cushions slant upwards at the sides, pushing side seats towards the centre. This is more of an issue with boosters. (VE Commodore)

- car sides slope in towards the roof. Not a problem with younger kids but with 2 in boosters on the tallest setting, the headrests just won't fit in some cars even if 3 child seats fit across the actual car seat.

If you upgrade cars every couple of years you won't need to worry about these issues for now. If you plan to hang on to the car for years, then take them into consideration. I'd definitely get a 7 seater if it was in my budget.

Bidi

I have a Kia Carnival 2015 model. It is great. I bought it because I really struggled to fit the 3 cars seats across the back and there was no leg room either.

Figmoon

I too have the Hyundai Santa Fe as I had a three yr old then twins. it's a five seater which was fine when they were small bit TBH now older, the three together can be challenging with disagreements, issues with one or the other etc and the amount of just stuff they have is sometimes a squeeze. But it was within our budget and the three car seat combo did work.

Be aware not all cars are wide enough for three car seats despite what manuals say.We took the largest seat and the two capsules to the dealers and tried it in the cars we were looking at.Not all were wide enough.

~Jolly_F~

Get a 7 seater, so you can split them on as they get older to avoid fighting on car trips.

Toyota prado would be my pick.

Avoid a territory unless you can get a newer diesel one, the petrol one require you to have shares in the service station to afford to run it.

Raincloud

I have a 2005 Mazda 6 Hatch that fits 3 car seats across the back.

Elsom

Toyota Tarago - just love it! Soooo much room! Cannot fault it in any way. And when you are in a tight car park, the sliding doors make it so much easier to get the kids in and out. Toyota Prado would be my next best suggestion.

AnotherFeral

I have a 2005 Mazda 6 Hatch that fits 3 car seats across the back.

Yep this is one of the cars that has good seat width but doesn't have enough width at head level for 2 tall tethered boosters + 1 FF seat. (MIL has one).

ekbaby

Really depends what you are looking for, what age your children will be, what type of car seats you want to use and your budget.

We can fit 3 car seats across our toyota corolla,not any 3 seats though, and I know people who have 3 across in a honda jazz. So you may not *need* a really large car for 3 car seats.

Do you prefer an SUV, sedan, people mover, 4WD?

Do you just need 5 seats total or do you want extra seats for transporting friends?

What sort of car seats will you be using? Age range of children?

What kind of boot space do you need?

Is fuel economy/running costs a consideration?