Sign in to follow this  
Genabee

Backup Hospital Perth (CMP)

Genabee

I am looking at a planned home birth through the CMP. As part of the deal, you need to have a back up hospital.

Just wanting to know of others' experiences with the programme and what hospitals you had as back up?

Can you have a private OB and private hospital as back up, or is it public hospitals only?

For those that did have to transfer to a back up hospital, did your midwife stay with you, or were you handed over completely to the hospital staff?

TIA.

I was originally booked in with the CMP, however I ended up with major placenta previa and needed to have a c-section.

My experience with the CMP was wonderful, they were great and didn't abandon me when it became clear that I was not a candidate for care with them. My midwife even came to the c-section in her own time.

If you need to transfer during the labor your midwife will go with you, however you can only transfer to public hospitals (and not all public hospitals work with the CMP).

My backup hospital was KEMH, which is where I ended up due to the complications - very lucky in the end as my birth was complicated and both my son and I required intensive care and would likely have been sent to different hospitals had we been anywhere other than KEMH.

Good luck. :)

• Like 1

Elissa03

Your backup hospital will most likely be the public hospital that is closest to you. Best bet would be to give them a call and ask about it. Policies and boundaries do change, so that's the best way to get up-to-date info.

• Like 1

Meganjaydecarmody

Hi.

If you have to transfer to hospital with CMP you will transfer to the public hospital that you are zoned for.

Whether your midwife stays with you depends on the hospital.

For example if you transfer to KEMH your midwife stays with you, however if you are transferring to Joondalup your midwife doesn't, as Joondalup Public is run by a private company (Ramsey health)