Sign in to follow this  
rominaveronica

Bum shufflers

rominaveronica

Hi, I have a 12.5 month old bum shuffler that Im a little bit worried of her gross motor development. She isn't walking which is ok, I'm not very worried about that at the moment. Im more worried as she is not able to pull herself up yet, i was wondering if that is normal for a bum shuffler as things are at her high she might not need to pull herself up as a crawler would. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing or has with another child. Also are bum shufflers late to walk?

ta

Kafkaesque

I had a bum shuffled who walked at 10 months. Is she able to bare weight on legs if you pull her up? I would go see you chn.

Hands Up

Hi my 13.5 month old is a bum shufflers. He is not pulling to stand yet but he gets up on his knees if that makes sense. Also if I stand him up against furniture he can weight bear if I'm holding on to him. At his 12 month check up my GP said he was still well within the normal range. I know several bum shufflers that didn't walk till 18/19 months.

If concerned though go and see your GP.

Flaxen

My DD was a bum shuffler, late to pull herself up and late to walk, at 16 months.

Once she was walking, no stopping her.

indigo~

Bum shuffling DS here, who is currently a few days shy of 14mo actual (was 6w prem though). He started pulling to stand at 50w actual (so 44w corrected age). Still not walking independently, but is pushing furniture around and can walk (not very well) with the aid of a walker. Very wobbly.

Edited by indigo~

chickendrumstick

I was a bum shuffler, never crawled at all. Walked once at about 14 months and then didn't walk again till 18 months. I did have gymnastics lessons from age 4-6 to help my overall balance skills but have managed to make it through life fairly successfully despite not crawling.

• Like 1

four the floor

My youngest ( child number 4!) started bum shuffling just after his 1st birthday. Walked at 18 months. As a paediatric physio I was a little mortified but it was actually quite adorable to see him getting about in his own sweet way. He then went on to be able to ride a bike without training wheels by 3 1/2 years and was "rip-sticking" by his 5th birthday. Definitely not lacking in motor skills. Just a slow starter.

rominaveronica

Thank you everyone, I have a physio appointment next week and a pediatrician appointment in 3 weeks. If I help her up on furniture she is able to hold her self up, also if I hold her hand she can take steps, sometimes lets go and cant stand for a few seconds. Just not interested in pulling herself up at all, gets very stressed if you make her try a number of times.

Empress NG

I had two bum shufflers (seems to run in our family) and one in particular does have issues with upper body strength and motor skills even now. My SIL who works with children with disabilities has put all sorts of tricks in to get her own bum shuffler crawling including tunnels with enticing toys at the end of them etc etc. She seems to think it is very important that a child crawls. Wish I had known her when mine were little.

Shorty78

My nephew was a bum shuffler, he didn't walk until 22months. He only pulled himself up on furniture etc until her was about 16moths. No issues, just was happy getting around on his bum.

They did take him to a physio but they weren't concern because he could weight bear, they just said some kids talk a little longer than others.

• Like 1