username eri

babysitting from my home

username eri

I was looking at being a babysitter for local children but looking after them in my home. So the parent would drop them off for me to care for them for a period of time. I realise I would need a police check and a working with children check but what else would i need? Who would i get to check and make sure my home is safe?

Princess Leila

I'm not 100% sure but from my friends experience, she needed to be licensed through DCP in WA ( child services) and she ended up joining a family daycare scheme.

Edited by Princess Leila

CalC

You might also need to check if you need any additional insurance and/or your current insurance would cover you if a child got hurt on your property while essentially running a business.

• Like 1

Empress NG

This is a good place to start, OP:

http://www.acecqa.gov.au/opening-new-service_1

Can also contact the regulatory authority for your state and territory for advice on rules that apply in that jurisdiction.

In NSW, I think you would have a choice of being a 'home based carer' or getting into a family day care scheme. See here for more information: http://www.dec.nsw.gov.au/what-we-offer/regulation-and-accreditation/early-childhood-education-care/service-providers/forms

• Like 1

Chocolate Addict

I would think you would need your house inspected?

I would go through family day care or something like that. If you were doing to do nights/weekends you could probably get a lot of customers.

There is a shortage of child care choices for shift workers.

• Like 1

just roses

Would you charge less than you would if babysitting at the child's home?

I'm assuming you're talking about babysitting rather than family daycare and - therefore - for evenings/night?

Personally, I would want my kids looked after at home where they could fall asleep in their own beds.

The safety net with family daycare is that the houses have been thoroughly checked for safety (glass doors replaced with safety glass, for instance). So if my children were being looked after at someone else's house, I'd want to know that those checks had been done.

melanieb530

The advantage of joining a Family Day Care service would also mean that you can offer CCB (Child Care Benefit) and CCR (Child Care Rebate). So you might charge $8 - $10 per child per hour but the cost to the parents might only be $3 - $5 perhour after subsidies. You would be limited to a maximum of 7 children aged 12 years and under (including your own children)

Edited by melanieb530