Sign in to follow this  
The Awesome One

food glorious food

The Awesome One

Am after some quick and easy meals/dinners we can make that can be made in bulk (so that I can do leftovers) for big families. Anyone have anything they love to make that's simple (unlikely to make me pull my hair out in the process of cooking lol). I'm not a big cook, in fact 9 times out of 10 it's DH that cooks as I tend to destroy it whenever I try, but he works long hours and I'd like to try and cook more so that he can relax a little when he gets home (would also mean less mess as DH is terrible at cleaning up when he's done lol). The only things I currently tend to cook is marinated chicken (I get my marinade out of the jar), slow cooker roasts (I get my seasoning out of a packet), or anything that can just be thrown in the oven like fish fingers or similar lol, and I could probably make a spagetti without poisoning anyone (again getting the sauce out of a jar) lol.

To give you an idea of what a bad cook I am I popped a frozen pizza in the oven about a month ago, and I may have possibly forgotten about it, pulled it out, DS2 looked at it and he says to me "that's not what it's meant to look like" lol. So please, easy make meals are a must lol.

• Like 1

Tinky Winky Woo

I do up a batch of very lean mince with a jar of sauce in it - currently using JO's basil and tomato and lots of grated vegetables. Then I can make that into nachos, pies, over pasta or like a shepherds pie even. It freezes so well too.

I also make another batch of mince with grated vegies, lots of herbs and freeze that in portions to make sausage rolls, hamburgers and meatballs to go with mash and vegies.

Sweet potato soup I make a huge batch and freeze it. We have herb bread or something with it to bulk it up. Even my vry fussy 8ye old eats it.

I have other recipes I double but some aren't freezable, but I always do something different with them.

Prime

Lasagna

Tuna pasta bake (tinned tuna, cream of asparagus soup, pasta and grated cheese. Dead easy)

Fried rice (just bacon, onion, peas, corn) and rice!

MakesMeHappy

Our go to easy meal is tacos. So fast and easy to throw together.

When I am doing bulk meals I use the slow cooker A LOT!

I love packets for flavourings. I normally use continental.

Curried sausages

Beef stroganoff

Beef casserole

Whenever I feel like having somethjng other than mash potato's with whatever it is I have thrown in the oven I do a quick potato bake. I just peel and slice potato's, throw them in a baking tray with some diced bacon, sprinkle with salt and cover in cream. I cover with foil and cook for about 40 minutes and then remove the foil and add grated mozzerala cheese and put it back in the over for 15 minutes. (Warning- this sometimes takes extra long to cook! No one likes raw potato)

JK4

We are a family of 6 and I double most things where possible so I have a meal to freeze (quick, easy dinner after school activities or when DH is away!). I currently have bolognaise sauce in one container to go over spaghetti & one lasagna (from the same sauce) cooked & ready just to defrost, heat & eat; pumpkin soup, curry and beef & Guinness pies (Masterchef recipe a few years ago, is super yum & we get 3 to 4 meals out it). I also love to freeze up some desserts and have sticky date pudding in individual portions (caramel sauce portioned into zip lock bags) and chocolate cake.

Coffeegirl

I bulk make lasagne and freeze it in individual portions for a quick defrost and re-heat in the microwave. Good for nights when we are staggered getting home from work/sport

You can get small foil tins from Woolies and make individual ones or make giant ones, cook them and once cooled, cut into desired size pieces and wrap in glad wrap to freeze.

Slow cooker recipes. The night before, brown some stew meat (dust with flour, salt and pepper first) and onions. Chop up some carrots and potatoes into cubes, cook in microwave for 5 minutes. Stick it all in the fridge. In the morning put the cooker on, add the stock/tomatoes/tomato sauce and walk away. It's ready when you get home,

Silverstreak

Popping in with a couple of recipes!

I do a nice beef curry in the slow cooker.

Brown at least 800 grams of diced gravy beef, diced onion and diced garlic in olive oil. Put in the slow cooker, then add a diced red capsicum, a few peeled and diced carrots, at least one tin of tinned tomatoes, some curry paste (at least a few tablespoons) and one can of coconut milk. Cook on high for at least five hours and serve with rice and microwaved papadums.

Or Shepherds Pie: Brown a diced onion and at least half a kilo of beef mince in olive oil. Add diced capsicum and carrots (and peas if you want.) Whist this is browning, microwave at least two to three peeled and diced potatoes and a good wedge of diced pumpkin. Turn the mince out into a baking tray. Then mash up the potato and pumpkin with some butter and cheese. Spread the mash over the mince with a fork and bake in the oven for half an hour on about 180 degrees. Everyone loves this dish in our house, especially our toddler!

Both these dishes make lots of meals that can be frozen and then heated up later.

SCG23

I made this (Mexican Pasta Bake) for dinner but doubled the mix and have frozen it to use for Nachos or another pasta bake. Kids and hubby loved it:

http://theorganisedh...can-pasta-bake/

Edited by SCG23
  • Like 1

rosie28

Zucchini slice is a good one- the Julie Goodwin one is foolproof and it can easily be doubled etc. freeze the mixture or cooked slices in foil trays, they stack very nicely in the freezer. I add a tin of corn and some bacon, carrot also works well (grated).

Elemenopee

The easiest one I do is similar to this

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1916819

(Pulled Mexican chicken, only 3 ingredients). I usually use about 1.5kgs of chicken thighs, and only add in about 1/4 of the cream cheese. When it is finished cooking, use 2 forks to pull the chicken apart. We use this mix in tacos, wraps, enchiladas, or I'm having the meat tomorrow for breakfast on lettuce with sour cream and jalapenos. Yum.

My husbands favourite is this, he was brought up calling it Mince Meat Mornay. The curry powder and tomato soup are a must. We don't use zucchini though. Leftovers get made into toasted sandwiches.

http://beccisdomesticbliss.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/family-faves-train-smash-mornay.html

~THE~MAGICIAN~

Great thread!

Looking for ideas myself. :)

Pearson

Roasts - do them in the slow cooker and the veg in the oven.

The leftover roast can be used in other meals, like pies, or wraps, or tacos, sandwiches, fritters etc.

Curries, pulled pork, mince dishes, meatballs.

• Like 1

The Awesome One

Thanks everyone, some great ideas here for me to try :)

dolcengabbana

Our favourite easy meal is

http://shop.coles.co...w-cook-shoulder

A pre package piece of pork shoulder with the bbq chilli marinade (its not spicy to us but we do love hot and spicy and it isn't)

A bag of coleslaw no dressing

Wraps

Coriander & Vietnamese mint

Bang shoulder & marinade in slow cooker 6 hours.

Chuck slaw and herbs in bowl.

Pull the pork reserve all liquid in a sauce bowl/gravy boat whatever you have.

Serve up they are delicious fresh sweet sour wraps with the crunch from the slaw the sauce is so divine dribbled over it.

You don't chop or cut anything. Just use some forks to pull the meat apart. I have made this regularly and its the house favourite this year.

Edit to add

You can do this with whatever jar of marinade you like (I have used masterfoods smokey bbq bottle) over a really big hunk of shoulder rind off to make it go further for a larger family. We are just 3 people so this gets us through two meals.

Edited by dolcengabbana
  • Like 1

Pearson

Also, look at mama bake website, they do batch cooking, so large amounts to be split to meal sizes.