Sign in to follow this  
Aurorasky

Concern about my ultrasounds

Aurorasky

Hi there.

I'm posting beccause I'm getting scared. Have had 2 years of failed IVF (4 fresh and 2 frozen failed cycles at age 30) and I'm currently 20.5 weeks along with a donor embryo from donors who are 23 and 26.

I feel so lucky but the anxiety of my pregnancy early on and worry about something going wrong as well as a subchorionic haemorrhage being identified early meant that I had a scan each week from 7-12, then another at 17 and another at morphology at 19 weeks, so I guess that makes about 8 ultrasounds so far.

I'm reading scary things now that ultrasounds can cause autism. I'm really afraid. Autism was in my family's genetics and it was the one big thing I was glad to avoid with regards to using donor embryo.

Has anyone here had a lot of ultrasounds EARLY in their pregnancy and if so, did your child have autism or ASD or neurological problems etc? What do you think about the supposed link between ultrasound and these conditions? Particularly early in the pregnancy.

Please help.

A xx

MsBusy123

I had heaps of ultrasounds for my previous pregnancy due to a sub-chorionic haematoma and monitoring for gestational diabetes.

That child is now 6 and there is absolutely nothing wrong with him.

• Like 1

I agree, with the others, I know of no known risk linking the two.

I do believe though, that you might be better to have a chat to a professional about it - to put your mind at rest.

bandbub

Ive had a lot of ultrasounds in my pregnacies and my children have no issues i have a 9 yr and a 3yr

Aurorasky

I am so relieved to hear you've had several with no problems with your children!

Do you guys remember at what point in pregnancy you had lots of ultrasounds - josh2003 and bandbub? I guess I'm really concerned because most of the ones I've had were so early on and this is meant to be when the baby's brain is most vulnerable.

I have spoken to my ob and consulted a couple of doctors too but all just say they're fine. It's just there's so much on the internet that says otherwise and points to risk and the medical community doesn't believe in it because of the lack of medical studies, so things like this aren't really on their radar. They seem to think I am silly for asking. I know there's so far nothing proven but that's only because of a lack of studies so I'm still very worried.

littleboysmum

I had 3-4 weekly ultrasounds in my obs office plus gender scans, morphology, 12 week scans and growth scans in my 2 previous pregnancies. Both children are healthy and neither have Autism.

IkeaAddict

A good friend had a sub chorionic haemorrhage early in pregnancy requiring weekly scans around the same time as you had yours then later on in the pregnancy as the baby was consistently measuring large. He is now 6 and perfectly fine. Another friend who had twins had lots of scans early on due to growth discrepancies between them, twins are now 4 and perfectly fine. It's like the long debated link between autism and vaccination, one person says it and everyone runs with it

• Like 1

Moo point

There have, in fact, been quite a number of scientific studies conducted looking at ultrasounds and child development, including neuorological.

A meta-analysis (a summary of the findings of several studies) found that: "The epidemiological evidence does not indicate any association between diagnostic ultrasound exposure during pregnancy and reduced birthweight, childhood malignancies or neurological maldevelopment."

http://www.sciencedi...301562999000514

Please do not take random internet sources of information over that of your treating health professionals or medical/scientific sources.

• Like 11

Kay1

Op I think this is your first experience of internet induced paranoia when it comes to babies and children. Please trust your caregivers on this and try to stop reading dubious things on the internet.(I do know how hard it is though, I drove myself frantic in my 3rd pregnancy becoming convinced I'd caused birth defects by inadvertently overdosing on vitamin b12 at a critical period of foetal development. Baby was totally fine. So I do get it.)No one can guarantee your child won't have some additional needs at some stage, that possibility is present for every parent, but if your child does, it won't be because of your ultrasounds.

Edited by Kay1
  • Like 2

MsBusy123

I am so relieved to hear you've had several with no problems with your children!

Do you guys remember at what point in pregnancy you had lots of ultrasounds - josh2003 and bandbub? I guess I'm really concerned because most of the ones I've had were so early on and this is meant to be when the baby's brain is most vulnerable.

Mine was also an IVF pregnancy and I had a low-lying placenta that needed to be checked, and going from memory I had scans at:

6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, 36 weeks.

So yeah, quite a few!

This time (I'm 20 weeks) I've had 5 already, but will be having a few more before the birth because my placenta is again low, and I have GD.

Froyo

Please do not take random internet sources of information over that of your treating health professionals or medical/scientific sources.

This.

• Like 2

FeelingcLucky

This.

OP, pregnancy is such a scary time - but please try and stay off Dr. Google, it will only bring stress.

I had ultrasounds at 5,6,12,13,16,18,20,21,22,25,26,29,30,33,35,36,37,38 and 39weeks - no my child does not have autism.

Aurorasky

I am so appreciative of your replies ladies. Really is helping to put my mind to rest a bit on this issue. Thank you so much. :)

Jenflea

And you know what, even if your child DOES have autism or is on the spectrum, it'll still be a wonderful human being with it's own quirks and foibles and you'll love it no matter what.

NOTHING in this life is guaranteed except death at the end.

You have no way of knowing what the future holds so you really do need to breathe a bit, calm down and relax. Try to enjoy your pregnancy, worry about it IF it happens, there is NOTHING you can do about it anyway.

Your OB has told you not to worry, take their advice.

• Like 4

Paddlepop

I'm reading scary things now that ultrasounds can cause autism. I'm really afraid. Autism was in my family's genetics and it was the one big thing I was glad to avoid with regards to using donor embryo.

Has anyone here had a lot of ultrasounds EARLY in their pregnancy and if so, did your child have autism or ASD or neurological problems etc? What do you think about the supposed link between ultrasound and these conditions? Particularly early in the pregnancy.

Please help.

A xx

Seriously? I suggest you stop reading crap on the internet about autism. You'll find all sorts of things that people blame for it. Biggest cause is genetics, plain and simple.

I had one ultrasound at 6 weeks to confirm my IVF pregnancy, then the two standard ultrasounds during pregnancy, and then a brief 3D ultrasound at 36 weeks while hospitalised for PE. My child has autism. Do I blame the 4 ultrasounds? Hell no. It never even entered my mind until I read this thread. What I do blame is my husband's genetics. He has ASD. We always knew that there was a risk that our child might have autism based on his family history.

Aurorasky

Seriously? I suggest you stop reading crap on the internet about autism. You'll find all sorts of things that people blame for it. Biggest cause is genetics, plain and simple.

I hope I have not offended you in any way Paddlepop. Autism is in my family too (father, brother) so I know there are genetics involved, and that is why I've been extremely concerned about it because I do know what it can be like to live with and that it can be extremely distressing. I just do not in any way want to have added a possible risk factor and wondered what ladies here thought about it, that's all.