Sign in to follow this  
Velvetta

What is a "Category 2" pap smear result?

Velvetta

After a second year abnormal pap smear result, coming back as "low grade", my result was sent to the hospital. They have sent me a letter saying it a Category 2.

What does this mean? I'm so afraid.

bubzillaiscoming

I don't know, but I hope all is ok. Sending lots of virtual good vibes.

X

• Like 1

podg

It means the priority attached to the appointment is category 2. I don't know beyond that but hopefully you get seen and your fears alleviated soon. (Urgent is cat 1)

~Jolly_F~

For me it meant I need further investigation and testing.

I know it's scary and you have all sorts of thoughts going on but try not to get worked up until you have further information, as hard as that is.

Fingers crossed for you and big hugs!!

• Like 1

Sara.xoxo

Hi there,

First of all please don't panic. Pap smears are done to pick up any problems early on where they usually can be treated safely.

From your post it sounds like the letter you received from the hospital is saying you are a category 2 patient. Where I work we classify patients into 3 categories.

1. urgent/life threatening treat within 24-48 hrs

2. non- urgent within 6 months

3. elective- within 2 years

For abnormal pap smears this usually means you will be seen within 6 months for follow up testing and/or treatment.

Personally I have had to have a colposcopy and laser at various times. I had the gardasil vaccine in 2009 and since then my pap smears have been fine, I'm back to 2 years between smears now.

Please don't panic. Have a chat to your GP, or there should be a number to call on the letter you received where you can talk with someone about your results and where to go from here.

Good luck

• Like 2

Velvetta

Thank you SO much Sara. Did you have the gardasil as a schoolgirl or can you have it as a full adult woman?

I feel really relieved by your post, as I was in tears when I opened the letter this afternoon.

PS What does the coloscopy feel like? :unsure:

Puzzles

Unfortunately for me the colposcopy was very uncomfortable but the good thing was that it showed no issues and they could conclusively tell me that. Good luck!

*Ker*

I had an abnormal pap smear (got the letter on my 18th birthday, thanks for that). I had to go for a colonoscopy and a biopsy.

The colposcopy WAS painful, but it was better than the alternative.

Unfortunately, my results came back very bad and I was in hospital within 2 days being operated on.

Edited by *Ker*

Velvetta

But it's curable,right?

*Ker*

Absolutely it's curable. I had CIN III, which meant "get her in quick". I had to have laser, and I still have 6 monthly pap smears, but that's more for my peace of mind than them telling me I have to.

Lower grades are easier to cure. Laser does wonders, if it even comes to that.

When I got the letter I thought "OMG, I'm going to die!" It's hard not to think that way. But i found a fantastic Gyno who was extremely gentle and patient with me and explained EVERYTHING.

• Like 1

Nepheline

Don't panic! All will be fine, it's great that they are on top of it and this has been picked up. I was called up a few days after my Pap smear and was in the office of a gyno a couple of days later.

The colposcopy was uncomfortable, but really not a big deal. Kind of like a weird extended Pap smear that stung a bit. It's never much fun having someone poking around down there, and I had to have three biopsies which pinched. But it was all over pretty quickly! My tests showed CIN III (which was expected after my pap smear and much worse than your low grade result) and within a week I was having laser under general anaesthetic. At the time it was such a stressful experience but now I can look back with appreciation for the medical care I recieved (almost all public I might add). I had a follow up colposcopy which was all clear (and no worse than a Pap smear this time - I think because there were no biopsies) and all my Pap smears have been totally clear since.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is try and stay calm, give yourself a pat on the back for getting the Pap smear and know that you are not alone! You will be fine x

Sugarplum Poobah

Yep, don't panic!

I had a CIN 2/3 result and was referred on. Couldn't feel the first colposcopy -- all they're doing is splashing a bit of vinegar over your cervix. It may sting a little, but it doesn't hurt. I also had an HPV test at the same.

The results meant I was referred for a leep/letz procedure which was done under a light general anasthetic as a day procedure. There was no pain and the subsequent follow ups have all been clear. (Have had another colposcopy, HPV test and pap smear since).

• Like 1

Luci

I was diagnosed with CINIII (high grade abnormality) about 10 years ago. Had a colposcopy which wasn't too bad, similar to a pap smear but took longer. Had a Lletz procedure a couple of weeks later. Had another colposcopy 6 months later - all fine. Am now back to 2 year pap smears and have not had any more problems at all.

Even though I had CINIII the gyno told me it would still have taken about 5 years to turn into cancer.

I am the biggest chicken ever when it comes to medical procedures but it wasn't too bad at all. Worst part by far was worrying about it beforehand.

All the best,

Luci

• Like 1

Velvetta

You guys are the best. XXX

• Like 1