~Mintie~

Over 40 and TTC with IVF/ICSI #28

~Mintie~

New thread time ladies. Here's the link to your old thread.

Cheers,

~Mintie~

HRH Countrymel

I'm posting just to re-introduce myself.

I have actually stepped back from the IVF threads as I don't want to frighten away any bright eyed newbies with my tales of abject failure!

However you chaps all seem to be stoic, and new, so I'm peeking back up again.

I'm 43, have done more transfers than the QANTAS shuttlebus, but I have 8 frozen embryos sitting waiting in the freezer for me - so I'm going to give them all a chance this year.

If it fails then I will have to 'move on' - I've invested close to a decade in this and it has to stop. Obviously the way I WANT it to stop is with that little fat baby. FIngers crossed eh?

• Like 7

Love animals

Hi Countrymel,

I was the same in not wanting to put any newbies off either! It took me 22 IVF cycles, a couple of operations and finally got my beautiful baby at age 42, nearly 43. Wishing you all the very best this year! Take care.

• Like 3

Gagingi

Welcome back and good luck HRH with your embies - I hope you get your beautiful bub this year.

Thanks for sharing your story Love animals - may I ask? You said you were 42 when you were blessed. Was that with a recent egg, or one you'd collected earlier?

AFM - I'm waiting impatiently for IVF#2 to begin in a week or two.

HRH Countrymel

I'm curious too Love Animals.

My clinic are always congratulating me on my 'big ovum hauls' (DP said everyone in the theatre last time were 'Ooohing and aaahing' as they collected and kept asking him "She's 42? 42?") but it is me who reminds them that it hasn't really meant much..

plenty of eggs, plenty of embryos - and I've only ever had one who failed to survive the thaw - but none of them ever want to stick!

They started talking egg donor last time - but DP is never going to go for that, and anyway we can't afford it.

Bella Laird

Congrats Love Animals :) Fingers crossed, Countrymel and Gagingi.

I've been doing a great impression of an ostrich since my pickup... I have my blood test tomorrow... Going to put my head back in the sand now...

Gagingi

Thinking of you Bella. Fingers crossed.

HRH Countrymel

Careful Bella! I watched a tv show that showed an ostrich farm last night...

Plucking!

They pluck their feathers so that Drag Queens and Samba dancers can retain their glorious costumes!

After seeing those bare bottomed birds running off I've gone right off behaving like an ostrich!

Hope there was some good news today.

Bella Laird

Well, I started spotting about an hour after my BT and it was a BFN a couple of hours later.

My FS was extremely pleased with everything up to the day of transfer and the failure to stick... 15 eggs picked up, 8 mature enough to ICSI, 5 made to day 3... by day 5, she picked the strongest to put back in... and the rest then promptly fell over. But she thinks it's worth another try...

I'm not doing another cycle straight away... $$$.

I think I surprised myself by not being completely emotionally distraught... what's annoying me is the cramping, I haven't been so cramped with AF in a long time.

Edited by Bella Laird

Gagingi

Dear Bella

I'm so sorry to hear about BFN, but good you are at least a good responder and doing okay. That sounds like an impressive haul at our age.

This might be a dumb idea (I'm no doctor)..., but I wonder if they'd be any point in freezing embies sooner? I read a large meta-analysis that found that whilst 5-day transfers resulted in more pregnancies, 3-day transfers resulted in more births. So I'd wonder if the uterus is their best chance? My FS does 3-day transfers, but I'm not sure when they freeze embies (as I haven't got there yet).

I found that I didn't feel overly emotional with BFN, but then realized that I've been a bit flat since. So please go gently with yourself. You might be more resilient than me, or perhaps it might sneak up on you like it did me. Cuddle the kittens I say!

Yes my AF was horrid. Cramps from second day for 3 days. Plus dizzy. Like you, I don't even usually notice AF, but was reaching for the pain meds. It didn't last much longer than usual though which was good. I just veged in front of the TV and ate chocolate!

Also, I found I got more back from Medicare than expected, so hopefully costs work out better for you than expected too.

Hopefully we'll see you back here soon (for a brief stint)!

Best wishes, G.

Gagingi

Hi Ladies

Is anybody else cycling this month? :yes:

Best wishes

G

bestshot

i'm in the middle of our 2ww and really struggling this time. This is our last cycle - I am now officially too old to try again - and the pressure is intense. Lots of eggs collected and we ended up with two good little embryos so here's hoping they are happily doing their thing.

As you can imagine I have been wearing out Google searching for every symptom and I must say some of these discussions have been a real godsend. If nothing else it is nice to not feel so alone in the process :)

Good luck to everyone x

Gagingi

Best of luck and lots of babydust Bestshot. It must be hard to be at the end of your journey, but 2 embies sounds awesome!

We had 10 eggs collected, but as of this morning only 1 had fertalised. So I'm having that put back tomorrow and will then be joining the 2WW (again!).

bestshot

Thank you Gagingi :) In some ways knowing it is the last go is a blessing and a curse - not sure if that makes sense - but whatever happens we know we've given it our best shot (hence the name!) and that's all anyone can do.

Best of luck tomorrow x

DarkChyldeKat

Hiya ladies.

I was hoping that I could also stalk along in this group as I have hit the 40 mark.

A bit about me..I have 2DD and after my tubes becoming blocked I ended up with secondary infertility.

My ex-DH and I tcc for years and underwent 12 cycles of IUI until we found out about my tubes and that he also had LSC so it was impossible.

I have been with my current DH (hopefully last one) for 8yrs and he has no children of his own so we decided to go through IVF.

All of my tests have come back and I still have excellent follies and my AMH was really good as well. So in short we will begin IVF within the next two months.

It's good to read all of your stories and I hope that I will be welcomed into this little group :)

Gagingi

Welcome DarkChyldeKat. Best of luck for your cycling - it is an exciting time.

BestShot - I hope you are traveling okay. When is your beta?

AFM - we had one little embie transferred yesterday. It didn't sound too promising, but better in me than in a dish. Fingers crossed. Physically I've found this cycle much easier than the last, but will have to see how the Crinone treats me.

• Like 2

bestshot

Thanks for thinking of me Gagingi. Unfortunately AF arrived last night so it seems our IVF journey has come to an end :(

Even though it didn't turn out how we hoped I am glad we tried. As devastated as we are, we know that we didn't leave any stone unturned and the whole experience has brought us even closer together.

Good luck to everyone. I hope to check back here and find news of lots of BFPs!

xxx

Bella Laird

Hey ladies, welcome newbies, thanks for the thoughts Gagingi. Been mad hectic at work with end of financial year! And still 4 days worth of cleanup! :'(

During my month off, had some acupuncture and AF came a day earlier than I thought and I went in for day 2 bloods and picked up my meds today... Good thing I did as changes to the PBS kick in tomorrow... Probably the only time I will ever be glad it came early! :p

Must nap now before more apocalyptic EOFY madness tomorrow.

So sorry bestshot

Fx for everyone.

Edited by Bella Laird

Green lady

Hi all,

This thread seems to be a bit quiet. I am 42 and have just done my first cycle of ivf with ICSI. Like one of the other ladies on here I got a great response with 17 mature eggs retrieved abut ultimately nothing to transfer by day 5. Such a roller coaster - going from FS telling me that I had responded like someone 10 years younger and 17 mature eggs retrieved was great down to nothing. At this point I intend to do another cycle. I was on antagonist protocol wit 10 days of stim with gonal f 225 or 250 ( forgotten already). Hoping that an adjustment in stim will give me better egg quality next time.

Edited by Green lady

Gagingi

Hi Green Lady

It is a bit quiet isn't it? I'm the same age as you and have just done my third cycle. I have 3 day transfers and 2 days if it is not looking good. Right from the outset my FS said it would be a max of 3 days.

I'm in TWW. First cycle I got 4 eggs - 1 embie; second got 10 eggs - 1 embie; and third 13 eggs - 4 embies - a good one that they transferred day 3 and then the others fell over day 4. Scientist has said they have no reason to expect that the transferred embie will arrest like the others, as it was a much better grade.

From my reading a lot of 40+ women do better with earlier transfers. My best quality embie is this current one, when I had the most eggs collected - so that leaves me a bit unsure about lower quantity equalling higher quality assumption. I read somewhere on the net that at our age 10% of the eggs we have left are good and then it just depends on what they happen to collect in any given cycle. That makes it a numbers game and that is what keeps me continuing to cycle.

Good luck with your next cycle, G.

Green lady

Thanks for your reply Gagingi. My FS keeps telling me " it's a numbers game" at my age and that given the drop off rate the more embryos you start with the better. I just wish they had some science behind determining egg quality but they really don't seem to know much. I've read stories about people transferring low or average quality embryos and having success. It just all makes my head spin. 4 of mine were going really well on day 3 with good cell numbers and then went to crap. I should add that I did PGD testing on one day 5 embie that was just hanging on (on crutches in terms of development) and of course it was grossly chromosomally abnormal. The problem with PGD is that they have to be hatching blasts to be biopsied. That means you could miss out on some day 3's which maybe we're normal and only didn't make it to day 5 because they were growing in a lab instead of their natural environment. I will defnitely consider a day 3 transfer but am no actually sure if my clinic ( in Brisbane) does them.

I reckon 4 embies is a great result for you at our age. We have to keep the hope that the good egg is there somewhere and we just have to find it. Don't want to think about giving up yet!

All the best with your current 4 embies.

Green lady

Sorry Gagingi - should have read yours more carefully - you got 4 and have transferred one at day 3 and are obviously awaiting an outcome. Best of luck!

Gagingi

Hi Green Lady

I did a lot of reading when cycle 2 failed. An American FS recommends women of our age freezing all embies and then doing PDG to determine which one to put back. I discussed this with my FS and his advice was to continue with 3 day fresh transfers. He felt that PDG could potentially damage a good embie and if we freeze them there is a 30% chance we'll lose any given embie when defrosting. I'm determined to do as many cycles as possible before 43, when there is a very significant drop in BFPs. I'm in Brisbane too, so can private message the name of my clinic/FS if you like? I'd have thought any clinic can do a 3 transfer, it should be determined by patient need and some couples embies that don't make it to 5 days, fall pregnant with 3 day transfers.

When will you start your next cycle?

:-) G

Green lady

Hi Gagingi,

You sound like me - I also want to do as many cycles as possible before I am 43 next June. Losing what otherwise might have been good embryos is exactly my fear with PGD! The other thing is it makes a cycle excruciatingly long - you have to freeze any being tested and then it takes 3 weeks for a result ( or 4 weeks if delayed which mine was) and by then you've already missed your next cycle so into the the next month e.g retrieval in July means a transfer in Sept. It sounds good in theory til you have to go through it.

My egg pick up was 23 July and I can't start my second cycle until end of Sept because my FS is on holiday. More precious time passing!

How do you do a pm? I'm knew to posting and not sure how to do it?

Gagingi

Hi Green Lady

I've sent you a PM, so you should get an email letting you know it's there.

I was interested in PGD as I hate the TWW, both emotionally and the Crinone side effects. However when we discussed it with our FS he was quite against it, both due to the risk to embies and also the extra costs. In his view we are better just to do extra cycles and have been doing those every second month.

G :-)