Sign in to follow this  
IBakeBoys

which countries have you taken your large family on holiday to?

IBakeBoys

We've been invited to Bali in September this year which doesn't suit us but now I'd like to start thinking about some destinations we can take our 4 boys to (aged 4 - 8). I figure if we get some destinations and a tentative date we can save a bit harder and actually make it happen.

So, where in the world have you taken your family of 6 (or more) that has been a success? And, if you don't mind sharing, what sort of budget did you need/would you recommend?

JK4

We have just come back from a week in Bali as a family of 6 and would highly recommend it as a place to go. It was my first trip & I was very hesitant but it was great and our children 1, 4, 6 & 9 loved it. We went to Waterbom Park which the kids loved but that was the only expensive outing, the rest of the time was the hotel pool and walking around. We stayed at an older hotel but the rooms were huge and very clean.

DZP

We have been to:

New Zealand - North + South Island

Indonesia - Bali

Malaysia - Kuala Lumpur

Philippines - Manila + Cagayan de Oro

New Caledonia - Noumea, Isle of Pines, Mare + Lifou

Vanuatu - Port Vila, Mystery Island + Champagne Bay

This year we are off to Singapore, Malaysia & Thailand.

We now do cruise holidays as we have found they are the most cost effective and best way to have a relaxing holiday as everything is done for you. You can pay them off over 18 months and all the basics such as meals are included. Only downfall is that we have to be split across multiple cabins.

The next holiday has a rather large budget (about $18k or $2k per person), but some are less than $5k. An 8 night pacific cruises for $500 per person and $500 for fuel / parking to drive to Sydney. Our on board account never hits $1000.

Edited by 7LittleAustralians
  • Like 1

6lilhillbillies

Hi. We took 5 kids to 5 countries in 5 weeks :)

England, Wales, Scotland, France and Singapore.

In January we took 6 kids to Bali.

Our European trip was researched to within an inch of its life, lol, but I enjoyed the research. EB travel forum and Tripadvisor were invaluable. We took an umbrella stroller for the 3 and 1 year olds - Maclaren Quest. The three year olds stroller was more for long days out and transported in a stroller bar for the long flights. 18 months old stroller was usually, if allowed, taken right to the door of the plane.

Or, we used a carseat trolley. These are brilliant. We bought a seat for the one year old, and the trolley. We fastened the trolley onto the carseat, and put baby in it. We wheeled the baby through the airport right into the plane. Car seat attached to plane seat, and baby was secured in a way she was happy and familiar with. Brilliant invention I found out about on EB travel forum :)

Fabulous

We've taken our 5 kids to :

USA (twice)

France, UK

Singapore

Hong Kong

Bali

Ianthe

We've been to America-Portland, Orlando to do the Disney World thing and San Francisco. That was fun but exhausting.

We went to Uluru 2 years ago-it was fabulous. My kids have never got on as well as they did during that trip.

Last year we went on a cruise. Fabulous. Kids had a ball. It was relaxing and we saw some gorgeous places. The price was under $10000 for 8 of us for accomodation, food, onboard entertainment. We did spend more than that on drinks and the spa and a couple of tours but that is all controllable.

Edited by QueenIanthe

busymum01

7LittleAustralians who do you cruise with? I'd love to take our kids on a cruise (16, 14 and 9) but don't know where to start!

Bearynice

Busymum01 cruising with kids is awesome! Have a look in the family travel section there's a cruise chat on there.

It's a great way to holiday!

Jane maree

My husband and I took our seven aged 18 to 5 to Italy. We went to Assisi, Florence, Loretto, Rome, Venice and Pompeii. We went to Christmas eve midnight Mass at St Peters. I got a timeshare swap with Coffs Harbour for Assisi and hired a mini bus with a driver to do the legs where there were no trains. We stayed in self catering apartments with internal laundry and shopped at local markets for food.We got all our plane tickets on frequent flyer points including first class for my husband and I. It was the largest ff transaction quantas had ever handled. I also got the bus and driver on frequent flyer points by paying through a travel agent in Aus. We had the best time ever snd made memories for life and turned my children into serial travellers.