Sign in to follow this  
FeralZombieMum

6/7/8 seater with these parking aid features?

FeralZombieMum

Sadly I have to replace my car as it is no longer reliable, and they no longer make the part that keeps failing. :cry:

Last week I checked out the base model Honda Odyssey, and the kids love it.

I can't decide if I should go for the base (8 seater), or luxury (7 seater) model. We have 2 adults and 4 kids to fit in, but that's only when we go on family holidays.

The 8 seater is appealing as it means I can have 3 kids in the middle row and the back row folded down, so we can put bikes in it. (oldest DD can sit in front with no DH, or if DH is coming, we'd just leave DD1 home :ph34r: )

However, I am in love with the parking aids of the luxury model (yet to see car in person).

It has:

• multi-view camera system;
  • smart park assist;
  • blind spot information system; and
  • cross-traffic monitor.

Are there any other 6/7/8 seater vehicles that have these parking aids? I am often surrounded by SUV's, 4WD's and people movers when I am trying to reverse out of a parking spot, which can be stressful, especially at school - there have been some close calls with young kids running behind my car (they have idiot parents walking on the road and not the path)

Anchor points isn't an issue as my youngest is 9, but we need a car that can comfortably fit in the 4 kids when they are all teenagers or older.

I've only just started my search as I've been putting it off for ages, so have no idea what's out there.

If only the luxury model could fit 3 in the middle row, then my decision would have been made the other day.

JaneMummy

You would have to get one secondhand but we have a Suburu Tribecca and it is awesome. We fit 2 adults and 4 kids and it has the luxury features you're looking for.

FeralZombieMum

Thanks. Sounds like a great car.

Unfortunately it will probably leave me in the same position I am in now - parts will be hard to come by.

I'd also prefer to avoid buying 2nd hand (this will be my very first 'new' car), as it has less chance of things going wrong, and needing replacing.

I've had my fair share of unreliable cars in the past, so want to treat myself. I am also hoping to keep it for as long as possible.

deedee15

Did you ask how much to have it added to the base model?

FeralZombieMum

Did you ask how much to have it added to the base model?

I am not sure they'd be able to add it to the base model as the brochure says they are not available for the base model. (I also think the dashboard would need to be different too). I'll ask when I drag DH along to have a look.

hills mum bec

Not sure what all of those features actually mean. DHs car has the thing which helps you parallel park, you press the button & it will sense where there is a gap big enough then will turn the wheel automatically & reverse into the park & you only have to operate the accelerator & brake. We never use it but neither of us have ever found it hard to parallel park. His car isn't big (Ford Kuga) but I drive a big Pajero & parallel park that all the time. His car also has the blind spot monitor & again, it's not something we rely on, we always check our blind spot anyway. Both of our cars have a reversing camera & that is something I wouldn't be without in any size car.

If it's those features are the only reason you would pick that model over the base model then I wouldn't bother & if the base model doesn't come with a reversing camera then you can have them fitted after market for quite reasonable prices.

FeralZombieMum

Not sure what all of those features actually mean. DHs car has the thing which helps you parallel park, you press the button & it will sense where there is a gap big enough then will turn the wheel automatically & reverse into the park & you only have to operate the accelerator & brake.

I believe this is what smart park assist is. I'm not so good at parallel parking. I avoid it as much as possible - have been able to do this for 20 years and could do it for another 20. I am not sure I'd want to use it for parallel parking, because I'd probably want to park a new car away from everyone else. ;):lol:

But I could see it come in handy with the angle parking, as I have trouble judging distance given you can't see where the front of your car is. But again - I might park further away where there are no cars (yet for some reason, people still choose to park right next to me AND manage to park over their line - even though they have 100 other empty spots to choose from.

If it's those features are the only reason you would pick that model over the base model then I wouldn't bother & if the base model doesn't come with a reversing camera then you can have them fitted after market for quite reasonable prices.

It's more the cross traffic monitor and the extra cameras that are appealing to me. Plus, now the kids are teenagers/becoming teenagers, I am finding it harder to do head checks, so the blind spot info system sounds appealing. Just having these as an extra to my usual visual checking, sounds pretty good.

I could probably live with not fitting 3 kids in the middle - and it won't be too long when it might be a bit too squashy for them anyway, so will no longer be relevant.

I am not sure I could live without the parking aids - I can see it reducing my stress levels, which has to be a good thing. ;)

Edited by FeralZombieMum

Veritas Vinum Arte

Citroen C4 Picasso new model has them I think.

FeralZombieMum

Citroen C4 Picasso new model has them I think.

I think this is a smaller people mover? So won't be comfortable for the teenagers.

Plus the nearest dealer and service centre is in another town a couple of hours away, so I can cross that one off my list.

Our local service centres wouldn't touch the Citroen we used to own.

4keykne

swimmingalong

Odysseys are a smaller people mover too and not very wide. I'd be taking all the kids with you to see how squished they are now, let alone when they are all adult sized.

A bigger version is the Carnival. I have an older model but recently took a younger one for a drive and was impressed.

My oldest is soon to turn 18 and get her own car so I bought a Santa Fe but when we go out as a family all the kids vote as one to use the Carnival because it has more room