Sunny Days

Applying for job with no tertiary qualifications

Sunny Days

My husband wants to apply for a job. The job is great, great money, great opportunity, great company. However it states that applicants must have tertiary qualifications. DH has worked in the industry all of his working life, has 25 years experience and worked in varied roles, moving up to a senior management position. So is there any way of getting them to consider his application without the tertiary qualifications? Any tips?

Thanks

laridae

Its worth applying anyway. Just play up his experience and don't mention no degree. Just don't list one.

• Like 9

BornToLove

I agree, just apply and address the key selection criteria. He should however consider doing part time study if this is something he is noticing regularly and wants to take the next step in their career

YumChaDaily

I agree, just apply and address the key selection criteria. He should however consider doing part time study if this is something he is noticing regularly and wants to take the next step in their career

And I would think he could get at least partial credit towards his course if he can demonstrate all of this experience.

• Like 2

Beancat

If it says must or mandatory he'd be advised not to waste his time. If he is keen he should call the contact and speak w them. I discard applicants for lack of quals often when it is explicitly stated in the pd that tertiary quals are mandatory

• Like 2

deedee15

I would still encourage him to apply, especially since he does have the experience, they may ask if he would be willing to get the degree if he has gets the position.

Beeeeeez

I would apply regardless.

• Like 1

sammyv

Sometimes industry experience outweighs a qualification.

• Like 3

Sunny Days

I believe that industry experience outweighs a qualification but I guess it depends on whether they would be open to it. I guess all he can do is try?

Thanks

Sunny Days

If it says must or mandatory he'd be advised not to waste his time. If he is keen he should call the contact and speak w them. I discard applicants for lack of quals often when it is explicitly stated in the pd that tertiary quals are mandatory

You are exactly the person I would love feedback from if you are in the position to make the judgement. Is there anything an applicant could do to make you consider them rather than completely disregard them under those circumstances? Would stating that study is a consideration or intention make a difference?

Coffeegirl

This sort of attitude from recruiters drives me nuts.

Sometimes industry experience proving you can do a job and do it well, outweighs a piece of paper that says you should be able to do the job.

My DH has no 'tertiary' qualifications, yet is on the executive committee of a billion dollar company. His experience outweighs anything his peers may have learned in school 20 years ago, but have never been able to put into practice.

But you would dismiss him outright over someone that has a piece of paper but no experience.

• Like 6

Sassy Dingo

It depends on the job.

I have a friend who works in the ATO. He works in a special task force that focuses on criminal gangs/deliberate evasion/scams - the high level criminal tax evasion.

I saw a job going at the crime commission for pretty much the same job description. However, he has a law degree and the position description was for a CPA/CA. Now, he can do the job, he has done so for years. But, the Crime Commission wanted someone who would be an expert witness if the matter went to court. You can't have a lawyer testifying on accounting matters - it goes to credibility on the witness stand.

He didn't apply as there would be no point. Sometimes you need the letters in order to get the respect from your peers/clients.

I'm an auditor. I deal with accountants all day talking accounting stuff - if I didn't have those letters after my name, they wouldn't take me seriously.

• Like 5

But seriously

Recruiter here. I have placed people at leadership level without tertiary quals - and yes, these have been in billion dollar companies.

I mainly do search work so I don't use ads but if I do, I say tertiary qualifications are desirable not required unless its a clinical leadership role or a legal role or something that really does require qualifications.

And yes, a demonstrable leadership track record does top qualifications.

And you should always call and ask

Edited by sandgropergirl
  • Like 3

LionTamer

It depends on the role. Sometimes a tertiary qualification is not negotiable because the role requires membership of a governing body that requires it, or the particular role requires that particular qualification (eg it wouldn't matter how experienced you were in the legal industry, if a role required court appearances even as a peripheral duty, you would have to have the degree and be admitted to practice)

I would say give them a call and discus the role - is the requirement of tertiary quals a prerequisite or just a suggestion of the standard of knowledge required.

• Like 1

KT1978

I'm an accountant and I've fired graduates for not having common sense. I've also mentored admin staff into corporate accounting roles (one is now a general manager and about to do an MBA).

Talent is talent. Unless you need medical registration, law registration or some other legality, it is foolish not to see that sometimes the degree isn't the issue.

There are CEOs and entrepreneurs without degrees.

• Like 5

KT1978

Sassy we don't take auditors seriously ever, lol. We just covet your coloured pens.

• Like 8

hills mum bec

In the past my DH has applied successfully for positions that state tertiary qualifications required even though he doesn't have any. He does have a lot of experience at a senior management level in his industry & this counts for a lot more than a degree.

Gumbette

The last 3 roles DH has been in have all listed a degree as a pre-requisite. DH has a trade certificate and 20 years experience. In his last 2 roles he was head hunted by a recruiter. I would definitely throw my hat into the ring.

liveworkplay

Depends on the industry/job. Sometimes, as mentioned before, it is a requirement for accreditation or registration or even legal reasons, and nothing to do with whether you have done similar work and have the most experience.

Sunny Days

It's good to know it's not out of the question. This role would actually be really great for our family as it involves an initial placement where we are currently living as well as an interstate relocation at the end of the year which we are seeking anyway due to personal reasons. If DH was able to secure a position, it would take an enormous amount of stress away in regards to our impending interstate move, ie already having a job to move to. He will apply and hope for the best, however, I fear that this company may be one of those ones that consider tertiary qualifications as essential, despite what you all say. I will hope the recruiters share your attitudes regarding experience and a great track record. I too would consider experience over qualifications, and this role is not one where I would consider a degree as essential. Crossing my fingers

DM. 2012

I would think that 25 year experience and no degree would be better than a degree and limited experience. If it is a high level position experience should be more important. 25 or more years ago not as many people went out and got degrees as they do now so there must be a lot of people out there in high positions who started at the bottome and worked their way up and do not have degrees and after 25 years should it really matter if you have a degree or not?

liveworkplay
If it is a high level position experience should be more important. 25 or more years ago not as many people went out and got degrees as they do now so there must be a lot of people out there in high positions who started at the bottome and worked their way up and do not have degrees and after 25 years should it really matter if you have a degree or not?

Although I have no idea what industry the OP's DH is in, there are industries out there who, for reason above and beyond the best experience, need employee's to have a degree in a certain specialty. In my industry, even 50 years (and more) ago you still needed a degree to be able to do the work.

Sunny Days

This position is not a specialty position. In fact, it even states that it should be a degree in any area, doesn't matter what area, as long as it is some kind of tertiary qualification. Definitely nothing specific.

Tuiat

He is sending a piece of paper (or email) to somebody.

If they reject his application he may have wasted an hour of his time rewriting said paper.

I cannot fathom why he wouldn't at least try?

SeaPrincess

If it's a government job and it's in the essential selection criteria, i wouldn't bother. The first pass of all applicants is just ticking the boxes for the essentials. Second pass is ranking based on quals, skills, experience and desirable criteria.

If it's in the private sector, definitely apply.

• Like 2