Shaynavyre

Ready Set Go: Graduates! Chat Thread #1

Wonderstruck

Hang In there Princess. It's so hard and I've been there. Maybe ring ABA in the meantime.

People in mothers group called the hospital that we attended and asked to speak to the LC until they could get to a clinic.

MrsG2

Awww princess, do let us know how u go.. I can't figure how to use nipple shields either - I totally commiserate with you as my left boob totally has a cracked nipple with a milk blister. That's the boob which makes more milk so DS feeds from it more :(. I plan to see my Gp when I get back to Sydney. Milk blisters hurt so so bad!!!

Wonderstruck - solids already wow!! It must be good to start them though because then bubs will drop feeds and sleep better at night. So glad your dds sleep has reverted back!! The lack of sleep is the hardest thing ..

PrincessL1

That sucks mrsg :( have you seen an LC about the pain ? Im so annoyed about the nipple shields, my friend loved them and it seemed ok the first go but just doesnt seem to be working. Hopefully LC can show me how to use them monday.

Wonderstruck

From memory it's a bit harder for bubs to suck through a shield so it can take time for them to get it.

The blistering is the worst. I remember feeding with shooting pain and agony of breastfeeding for me I think DD has a really strong suck and my psoriasis made them prone.

You ladies are amazing for pushing through and breastfeeding!

lissyrose

PrincessL1

Thanks lissyrose for the advice! Alfie luckoly decided to have a 5 hour sleep yesterday so i sat with my top off all day and they healed really well! Still a bit tender but miles better , went to the lactation clinic today and she said he was doing it great so just gotta let the healing finish and i think we will be good. Yeah i think ill pump around the 6 week mark, i try and get advice from midwives about how to go about schedulong it and i just get given grief about why do you want to do that why cant your husband do the changing and you do the feeding if you want to share the load. Sigh!

Little chunk is such a dream baby, has been sleeping 4-5 hours with a few shorter stints during day, goes to sleep inbassinet easily, very alert and content when not feeding or sleeping. He is supposed to be back at birth weight by this wed, weigh in today has him 200g over it! Has gained 400g in a week haha. Dh and i took him to bru nch and grocery shopping today and he slept in the oram tbe whole time.

Wonderstruck

How is everyone going?

We're muddling through. Reflux still seems a bit of a problem and have a paed appointment Thursday.

When the reflux isn't bothering her DD is lovely and smiley and a lot of fun. She's still not got the knack of solids but I'm sure it will happen with time.

Can't wait to sort the reflux and go to our Tresillian Residential on 30 August to get her sleep issues sorted!

PrincessL1

Thats a shame you have a couple of issues to work through WS! But sounds like you are on top of it all and its nice dd is a happy little girl otherwise! Cant wait till alfie starts smiling and becoming m ore interactive! He is oretty good now, has a few alert periods everyday where he stares at you and objects, starting to find his voice a bit. He is still eating and sleepi ng like a dream! Though does have to nurse to sleeo which is fun for my nipples lol. They are getting tougher but still have a couple of cracks that are taking a while to heal from the constant nursing. Miles better than a week ago though and after the initial latch it doesnt hurt (he gets so frantic to feed its so hard to get it in correctly at the start! But then he sucks it into position) cant believe he is 3 weeks today! 1.5 weeks left with daddy at home, starting to get nervous about the couple of solo trips to the doctor ill have to do at 6 weeks, hopefully he is a good boy!

MrsG2

We r good :) DS is also happy for the most part but cranky when he needs to poo. He's been super clingy this week but it's apparently a wonder week so I hope it'll pass. Nights aren't too bad, DS sleeps around 8:30-8:45 and wakes up at 7-7:30. He wakes up twice for feeds in that time which isn't ideal but could be (and has been) much worse- can't complain !! He feeds every two hours in the day time still, can't seem to cut it down... I'm pretty content tho, we have a good routine and I've gotten a hang of managing it myself. I Need to start looking into childcares for next year ... scary thought!

Do let us know how the tressilian goes wonderstruck! Reflux sucks ..I wonder how long our bubs will take medication..

How is everyone else going? Hope all the bubs are thriving and mums are enjoying !!!

PrincessL1

When did the reflux start for your babies? Ds is 3 weeks and doesnt seem to have any issues yet.

Ds is in a fairly good rhythm already, usually feeds around 7, 11, 2, 6, 11, 2, 6. Usually skips his sleep after 2 or is awake for a while and i run out of things to do with him! I chat to him, do tummy time, chuck him in his rocker, he just sits there staring around lol. Will be good when he smiles so can tell what he actually enjoys lol

MrsG2

I actually didn't think DS had reflux because he never cried or pulled off during a feed. He would however growl a LOT, especially in his sleep, The doctor told us to trial Zantac when he heard DS growling. It helps his tummy, so we have kept it up.. sounds like you have an angel baby princess! That's an amazing feed/sleep pattern .. hope he keeps it up!!

PrincessL1

Hmm interesting. Baby sometimes fusses when feeding but then burps while latched then carries on lol he is a bit of a noisy sleeper too but doesng sleep umcomfortable.

Totally jinxed myself. Baby was up from 12-6 today lol mostly happy and just awake but then fussy and clusterfeeding from 3-6. Has been in his bassinet for nearly 2 hours, fingers crossed he stays another 1 or 2 to catch up then goes back to normal lol. Throws off my pattern when he clusters cos he will only feed for 5 mins then fall asleep only to wake again 30 mins later for another 5 mins feed. So never know how often to switch sides!

MrsG2

Oh gosh I hate Cluster feeding. DS spent plenty of days plastered to the boob. I couldn't even get a half hour rest break. His clusters were 4-5 hours long at their worst.. even now, he feeds for at least 1hour before his night sleep, sometimes 2.

PrincessL1

It sucks! My cracked nipples were sort if getting better but now are really sore again. He gets so frantic to get on i really struggle to not get chomped at the start. Once hes on its not too bad. Trying to put cream and breast milk on to get t hem to heal but not sure its working. Think i need to go back to the lactation clinic again :(

Wonderstruck

How are the new and not so new mums going? It is very quiet in here!

Things have been crazy here. DD is just over 5 months, great night sleeper and terrible day sleeper. Loving solids now and finally getting the hang of it. She's terribly frustrated by her inability to crawl and roll so grizzling a lot.

Had a Tresillian Residential in July - we got offered and extra night as DD is so hard to settle on the day. We still struggled as we could get her into the bed rather than constantly sleeping in arms but she needs resettling regularly. Seems to be partly developmental and partly her reflux. They said the reflux wakes her and she can't put the dummy in to soothe. The dummy is very important as it helps with reflux so we can't ditch it...

The paed was nicer than mine and adjusted her meds a little (mine she blames sleep/settling or just Baby stuff for screaming and unsettledness). The service there is amazing.

I had a bit of a cry about leaving and it eventuated that I have PND - they arranged counselling and meds as well as some more Tresillian day stays to try and help. Apparently I tick every risk factor for PND - thyroid has been wacky too which probably isn't helping.

Glad to hopefully be on the mend soon.

MrsG2
Edited by MrsG2

PrincessL1

Hey wonderstruck. Thats no good about PND! Glad it has been picked up and you are looking after yourself though before it gets bad xx hopefully bubs gets better with her sleep soon!

My little boy was 6 weeks yesterday and had his jabs! Was also checked out by GP.. he is in 97th oercentile for weight hahaha 6kg!! 75th for height (58) and 90th for head circ. Finally getting a handle on BF. Dont know whats changed in last few days but suddenly my cracks have started to heal and it doesnt hurt at all really (still a bit of nipple tenderness sometimes). So glad i perservered as bubs is obviously full o milk and gaining well. Can finally imagine doing it for the next 5 months.

Hope all is well with everyone else!

MrsG2

Wow! Your little boy is thriving princess! Way to go both of you!! How is his sleep pattern? My DS still wakes up twice for feeds, but that's not so bad I guess..

MrsG2

How's everyone going? We had our 4month appointment today.. DS is 7.1kg and 65cm, 50-75percentile for both . I'm pleased with that. Also only two more months of breastfeeding and I will swap to formula , can't wait ! Day sleeps r terrible (30 min naps and won't go down), but nights r ok, two wake ups normally and he sometimes sleeps in the bed.. I'm happy with bubs progress, but he's a demanding one. Always wanting Someone to give him attention lol

PrincessL1

Hey mrsg thats all sounding good! 4 months is notorious for bad sleep isnt it? How come youre moving to formula at 6 months? (No judgement! Just curious! Ive been researching starting solids & how that wor ks w milk for the 6 month mark myself)

We are good here except wonder week struck last night! Suddenly super difficult to get and stay asleep all last night and this morning. Not really crying too much, just wide awake for hours or dozes but then shoots back awake again. So hes exhausted but then wakes hungry then instantly dozing again! Leap is supposed to be 2 weeks.... aghh! On the plus side when he is awake he is super happy, always smiling and talking. Found his hands so is sucking on them and whacking his toys.

Wonderstruck

We're having an ok time - day sleeps were getting better (with lots of responsive settling work) but DD started rolling a few days ago so she's now arms out in her love to dreams and it's set us back a bit. She still wakes after most sleep cycles in the day but that's not uncommon at her age and the reflux doesn't help.

Her nights are ok but a bit off as she's not used to arms out - can't wait till she works out how to replace her dummy! She's still doing two night feeds as it seems she's not getting enough solids but with the reflux she often gags and spews her whole feed of we push it too hard so having to take it slow.

Otherwise all is well, she'll be 6 months on Saturday which is crazy!

Sounds like you ladies are doing well and your bubs! Totally get being excited about stopping BF MrsG2 it's exhausting and hard!

MrsG2

Aww I found sleep goes off and on whether or not it's a wonder week , but hopefully your Bub comes back into his routine soon princess! About the breastfeeding, I honestly haven't had the best experience with DS having a massive appetite, getting nipple thrush and milk blisters ..

It's been like having DS plastered to the boob for a painful experience for me! Also I'm not comfortable feeding in public so my whole schedule works around finding a parents room or private place to feed .. I'm done with day feedings after six months , but might still give the boob at night ..

Wonderstruck, I'm taking DS's hands out of the love to dream swaddle too. He still startes a LOT... but tbh, he usually spends about half his night sleep in the Bed, so I need to work to improve that first..solids are fun! I tried giving DS rice cereal the other day and he was literally grabbing the spoon out of my hand !