becdavies

Advice on medicare

becdavies

I want some advice on medicare. My husband and I have been married for 6 months and just fell pregnant 2 months ago. We have only started arranging things as a married couple and have a joint bank account and joint Centrelink. I need to know if we need a family medicare card to make it easier when our child is born or can we still have separate Medicare cards but have the child listed on both? Wandering what others did in this situation?

Katerina 34

In the long run you should have a family card with everyone on it. A couple is considered together for Medicare safety net and tax purposes. To add a newborn you just fill out forms in the info pack you get at hospital and they send out the updated cards. To combine as a couple I think we both has to go in person- it's probably too complicated for Medicare to work out how to put them all on one card in one swoop. So I'd probably combine now then add bub. Otherwise I think bub is added to mum's card- and you will still have to add dad later I think.!

Froggilicious

We combined, it was easy I did it over the phone. However I think you can add bub to both cards if that's the way you want to do it.

SummerStar

Edited by SummerStar

Orangecake

We did a family membership as its easy for the safety net and also at tax time. We each have a copy of the family medicare card though, so can be used independently

born.a.girl

It's much easier with everyone on the same card. It means only the parents need to have a card, and everyone is listed on each card.

jemsoli

ours are separate. more to do with DH being lazy and not wanting to go into medicare to consolidate our cards. it isn't an issue for us, as we have 2 copies of my card with mine and the kids names on it that DH just keeps in his wallet in case he needs it.