Charmzy

Large Family Life Hacks?

Charmzy

I was wondering if anyone has any tricks of the trade they would like to share for the running / maintaining of a large family?

Ie. I stayed with my friend recently who has 8 children (and may be reading this.. hello if you are!) and she has one of the kimberley-clark jumbo toilet roll dispensers installed in the main toilet like you find in a public restroom. I thought this was ingenious given how many rolls you go through with a large family so I did a quick cost analysis and not only is it more convenient but its about half the price too. So I've just ordered one for our place too. Something so simple yet will make a big difference.

Anyone got any other ideas like this to share?! :)

• Like 3

Charmzy

On the same note as the toilet paper theres also the rest room jumbo size paper towel dispenser which would be great in the kitchen, jumbo wall mounted hand wash dispensers that hold 1ltr so not having to constantly refill bottles etc

Charmzy

Nothing? I thought for sure there would be tips to share!

6lilhillbillies

I haven't really got any tips I don't think :) Butthe ones you have shared are good ideas. Is the toilet roll dispensar cheapish? And were would you get the refills?

I don't know of any bulk buy places in WA. We don't have Aldi. Anyone else have some ideas to make life easier? You don't have to have a large family!

• Like 1

Charmzy

The dispenser was just under $30, refills from places that sell commercial cleaning products but they sell to the public, I also found them on eBay just have to make sure the rolls fit whatever dispenser you get. Actually thats another thing they sell bulk hand wash / dishwashing detergent / washing powder / multipurpose spray etc etc if you've got room to store the larger quantities it can save a fortune.

You don't have Costco over there either do you?

Doesn't have to be large family, anyones welcome to share tips! I put it here because we go through more than average quantities of things but really could be useful for anyone! :)

gatheringpieces

Hmm I don't have a large family (me+2) but I think it's worth putting it out there anyway-

Scope out second hand shops for furniture! I saved a fortune setting up post-separation by doing that. AND I mostly have furniture I won't be devestated if the children manage to destroy it.

No need to settle for junk, I have a few nice pieces I found just by being patient til I found what suited at s good price.

ETA: In here from we are discussing. ..

Looking forward to any tips I can use though!

Edited by gatheringpieces
  • Like 1

~Bob~

The best thing I ever did was buy two washing machines. You can't really fall behind, and if you do, it's easy to catch up.

• Like 3

Honeycowz

I don't have any life hacks but I have always found simplesavings.com.au my go to for savings ideas and tips ie a burnt pot can be cleaned with laundry powder and toothpaste makes a great jewellery cleaner.

• Like 1

Charmzy

The best thing I ever did was buy two washing machines. You can't really fall behind, and if you do, it's easy to catch up.

What size washing machines? I have a 10kg and find I get through it all fine with that, I also have a 10kg top loading dryer and that is a godsend with the volume of washing, keeps things flowing nicely!

• Like 1

~Bob~

Two 7.5 kg front loaders. I can do one white one dark at the same time. Love it!

• Like 1

twirling

We love our 11kg washing mashine. I can wash mine and DH's whole king size bed linen (protector, sheets, doona cover, pillow cases/protectors plus have room to spare for towels as there is not agitator).

SixSuitcaseTravel.com is great for finding larger then normal accommodation rooms. We have used it to plan a trip to the US.

• Like 2

~THE~MAGICIAN~

Didnt you have another son OP? Close in age to Zac?

DZP

I don't really have much around my house that would be any different to what you'd find in any other household, except for the 12 seater bus in the drive way. I guess the only thing would be chest freezer.

Our new house will have 3 bathrooms, one for us, one for the boys and one for the girls.

• Like 1

kadoodle

A friend of mine has 4 daughters, and buys feminine hygiene products in bulk from the manufacturer.

I really miss being able to get bulk f&v delivered, as that was a massive budget saver.

A urinal is on my wish list for the new house.

• Like 2

4keykne

We have recently purchased a robot vacuum cleaner it was cheap from kmart but love it. My floors get a once over whilst I drop kids at school saves so much time.

• Like 1

Charmzy

Didnt you have another son OP? Close in age to Zac?

I have a stepson but am no longer married

Charmzy

A friend of mine has 4 daughters, and buys feminine hygiene products in bulk from the manufacturer.

I really miss being able to get bulk f&v delivered, as that was a massive budget saver.

A urinal is on my wish list for the new house.

now thats a tip I will need to remember lol

ELKO

We are a house of 9.

Whenever I do any baking or cooking casseroles, lasagne etc I double or triple the recipe so I have some for the freezer as well.

It doesn't take any longer to make but it's great having it in the freezer as a standby. Especially on those mornings that nothing seems to go to plan and then you remember that you have to provide morning tea/take a cake.

I keep a pack of baby wipes in the toilet so that each time I go to the toilet I can give the vanity, the toilet, floor etc a wipe over if necessary, keeps things from getting really grotty.

Deal with all the school notes etc as soon as they come home.

But the best tip is to be organised and keep on top of things, it's chaos when I fall behind.