Lou80

What time do you pick up your kids?

Lou80

My son (almost 2) started daycare for the first time this week and I picked him up straight after work, got there 5.30. I was surprised to find him one of the last kids there and this was combined with baby and toddler rooms. So what time do you pick up your children and how do you manage it? I also have a child in kindy finishing at 3pm (collected by grandparents on this day). Being im only working two days a week I feel it's hard to leave early plus my husband already works from home one day a week. I'm now worried it's too long a day for my little one?

ineedmorecoffee

DD is in daycare 2 days a week and I drop her off at 9am and pick her up about 5.15pm.

I'm studying so my hours are flexible and I pick her up earlier if I finish earlier.

namie

DSs 2 and 3 (almost-4 and 18 months) are dropped off at daycare (inner Melbourne but out of the CBD) at 8.15am and collected at 5.30pm, 3 days a week They are nowhere near the last kids there.

They eat a sandwich and some grapes in the car on the way home so I don't need to bother with a big dinner. They are usually given a hot meal for lunch.

DS1 (5yrs) is in FYOS and is dropped at OHSC at 745/8am and collected at 6pm, the same 3 days a week.

I do feel it is too long a day for him, but DP and I physically can't get to him any earlier and, like you, I can't finish early 3 days a week. Some days he is one of only 3 kids, other days there can be as many as 10 left.

DS1 eats whatever is left in his lunch box while I whip up something quick for dinner, then they have a quick bath, story time, and are all hopefully in bed by 730pm. Usually it's 8pm which is too late, so some days we skip the bath.

Edited by namie

opethmum

It is quite common from about 5 onwards. My CC does it, I have no issue with it.

• Like 1

aace

I usually pick up 5-5.30pm. There are definitely not the last although the numbers are certainly dwindling on the other side of 5.30pm.

12togo

at my 4yr old's daycare they start combining the rooms after about 4.30 - the two baby rooms together, the two toddler rooms (about 12mths to 2.5years) together, the two junior rooms (roughly 2.5 - 3.5 and 3.5 to 4.5 years) together and progressively move up to the last room, the preschool room as kids are picked up.

By about 5.30 everyone's in one play area and the last child is picked up about 6.15. I have been known to be the last parent to arrive due to extended work meetings, and it is heartbreaking to arrive and your child is chatting away to 2 carers waiting for you. He doesn't seem to mind, in fact my DS tells me to go away if I come to pick him up before 5 - "he isn't ready yet!"

• Like 3

namie

Yes, if I get there before 'late snack' (usually cheese and crackers or pikelets or similar) I get into trouble with DS2 :)

• Like 5

RocktonResident

Usually in the vicinity, of 5 to 5:30, depending on what time I finish work. She also gets dropped off at 7:45. Yes it's a long day, but she has a nap (actually for longer than she would at home), she is fed, happy and cared for.

I was running late on Monday because I had to work back, and apparently she was staring at the door waiting for me because she knew she should have been picked up by then!

• Like 1

IShallWearMidnight

my DS was the last kids there today at closing time. Im usually earlier but he gets cranky if I get there before the 430 cheese and crackers snack.

• Like 3

ignite

DS is picked up from daycare by 5pm, he starts at 7am.

DD is picked up from OOSHC 10 mins after I get DS. I drop her off at 7:10am. If I get an early mark then I collect them earlier.

It sucks, but you have to do what you have to do! Kids are quite adaptable. It gets easier.

Lou-bags

My experience also.

From what I can gather, the vast majority of parents at my centre pick up between 4 and 5.15ish pm.

I usually get my DS at around 5.30 and he's one of the last ones.

Lou80

Thank you everyone, I'm not feeling so bad now. I also don't understand how everyone gets such flexibility with work, it's such a juggle with kids in different places/times and it's the first time I've used daycare so wasn't sure what the norm is. Doesn't help I have grandparents making me feel guilty about daycare, even though I'm happy now I've found a nice centre and just need to get through the settling in stage.

Puzzles

I'm there at opening at 7:30 and she's one of the last at 5:30! I race back too! Not much I can do, I assume other parents work nearby or SAH

Goggie

I pick up DS just before 6pm, at closing time! It takes me up to 40 mins to get there so I leave work between 5-5.15 and drive there. Usually a couple other kids there. Any kid still there after 5 gets a snack.

It's pretty normal op, don't let family make you feel bad for choosing to use care.

• Like 1

~*~blizzy~*~

Gumbette

We used to drop off between 7.30 and 10.00 (depending who was doing the drop off - I start on the dot of 8.00, but DH is flexible). Pick ups were between 4.15 and 5.30. At 5.30 she was probably the last few left, and yes! Hated being picked before the late snack.

No guilts here BTW. If DD was ever naughty, I used to threaten her with a day at home with me instead of daycare. Worked a treat, so I know she loved it.

Edited by Gumbette

Dionysus

Childcare, then pre-school and now primary school were/are across the road from my work.

Sometimes, I am still the last to get her from OSCH!

I have always picked her up between 5:00-5:30 on care days

Veritas Vinum Arte

Our daycare finished 5.30pm, OSHC finishes 6pm.

As my regular job would finish 6pm at the earliest I could not go back to my regular job and instead got part time school hours basic job.

My kids had to go to OHSC due to needing to take my eldest to a medical testing appt, and being back at 5.15pm I was shocked to see my kids were among the last at OSHC.

Silver Girl

DS was in childcare from 7:30am until 4:30pm.

I could collect him at 4:30 because DH had done drop off, so I could start work at 7:30.

On the days we collected later, such as 5:30, DS was one of the few remaining. I often wondered how all the other parents had managed to leave work so early, especially single parents doing both drop offs and pickups.

Conversely, he was one of a handful dropped off at 7:30. So parents weren't always getting in super early either.

I think it's a combination of flexible hours, parents sharing dropoff/pickups, grandparents/nannies doing pickups, SAHPs, working locally, leaving work early then putting in more hours from home once kids are asleep, etc.

~river song~

Sometimes the 'flexibility' is shift work too. When mine were at daycare often one parent dropped off say around 8.30 because they didn't start work until 9 but picked up between 3-4 because one parent finished earlier, in our case I saw a lot of tradie dads and some I knew started the day at 6-7am so finishing at 3-4 was their norm. Or someone was a shift worker

Not everyone is a 9-5 type worker.

• Like 2

Cat Burglar

We have to stagger our times so DH works 8-4, meaning the kids get picked up around 5. We stagger our times so they are in less time overall for DD3s benefit, but when you have 2 or more in care and use public transport, the anxiety induced by late pickup fees is tremendous. Getting there late would mean we were fined so much that we lost money by going to work that day. I think there needs to be more centres open slightly later. It doesnt mean at all that parents will keep their children in there for longer. Not everybody is able to start work at 7:30 or 8 though.

• Like 1

Gee gee

When I was working we also staggered our times. I would get to work early (start at 7am) which meant I could leave early to get DS at about 4. My DH would start late (and finish later) to drop DS off at about 8.30

Coffeegirl

I think it depends on where your DC is and your commute as well. I would pick DS up by 5:30 most days as I worked rather local, but he was never the last one there.

We actually had a lot of of issues with serial late 'picker uppers' at the OOSH. There were 2 or 3 parents who were often late and would show up at 15-30 minutes past closing which was 6pm. Mind you it was the same parents everytime and one of them worked locally

It caused a lot of issues as the staff had to then be paid extra time, it messed with our insurance and our 'rental' agreement with the school that the centre was located in.

It got so bad that we implemented an on the spot late fee of $20 per 5 minutes late. Those parents would still rock up late and were happy to pay the extra $$$ on the spot :(

mandelbrot

DS settles better when he arrives early, so he's one of the only kids there. He likes staying late, too, since he gets to play with the toys in peace, and gets a go at the toys in the toddler room as well.

WaffleGrrrl

I don't, as my work hours regular see me not getting to our local station until about 6:30, which is when our centre closes.

DH picks up between 6 and 6:15, which is the earliest he can get there from leaving work at 5/5:15.

Anyone in our area who works to 5pm in the city though would not make it to the centre until 6pm at the earliest, and so there are still a number of kids there at that time. They combine down to the one room, it's actually a nice time for kids, they see their siblings, get to see the babies, etc.

I guess it depends on your location and work status/hours/distance.