unicorn

Essential Criteria - Feminist issues

unicorn

Argh I applied for a position a couple of weeks back in an organisation geared towards helping survivors of domestic violence.Today they have gotten back to me with an essential criteria list they would like me to complete.

One of the points is a commitment to feminist issues. Yes I do, so much so that no matter how I word it, my criteria demonstration comes out as a little bit of a rant against inequality and lenient sentencing laws and women doing the ironing and the media blackout on the Chibok schoolgirls who are STILL missing and the crazy high number of women killed in Australia at the hands of a supposed loved one and the fact that we even need feminism at all.

Get my drift?

I will tone it down even more before I send it in and every other point I have covered regarding the position is non emotive and I have answered these as such.

So my question is...

Is passion ok in situations like this considering they want me to demonstrate a commitment to feminist issues, or will I just come across as a crazy loon? IF so how does one demonstrate a point like this without it becoming emotional?

The position involved is a back ground position so I will not be working directly with the women and children that come in to the centre.

Literary Lemur

Can you perhaps write that you are passionate and use examples of what you have been involved in to support his? Also spell out what you see as the issues. That you have a good understanding.

I think you can demonstrate passion without doing a passionate rant.

• Like 1

ZombieFerretOfDoom

I think in a job application situation you need to be dispassionate.

Maybe start with something like "I am a proud feminist and am deeply committed to working to solve gender inequality."

Then detail an example or two of what you see as the issues relating to the role you apply for. Maybe end with saying that DV is one of the most important issues for feminists today as we fight to have violence against women taken seriously.

• Like 1

BetteBoop

I worked for a feminist organization. When I applied for the job, I talked about feminist theory.

I used buzzwords like privilege, entitlement and intersectionality and person centred philosophies in relation to human services (eg person centred, person as the expert, sharing power, empowering).

At the end, I described an example where I helped a woman within a feminist framework so I illustrated how the theory influenced my practice.

*CalamityJane*

Interesting criterion! I would think that having included it, they would expect some passionate responses, they are

probably hoping for them. Perhaps go over your response and make sure it can be read in a convincing intelligent passionate argument kind of way, as opposed to a ranty tirade. Not that I don't like a ranty tirade from time to time.

Maserati Mum

You can give an intelligent, logical and succinct response that conveys passion.

They are not looking for knowledge of feminist theory (although showing an understanding of this is obviously beneficial), they are wanting you to demonstrate how you are personally committed to this issue. I.e. you're not just applying for any old job, you're applying for this role because it is deeply meaningful to you (because x,y,z).