Sign in to follow this  
*mylittleprince*

References when you haven't worked since having children

*mylittleprince*

Hi there

I'm looking at applying for a part-time position I've recently seen advertised. It's an admin position in healthcare (government). I have a degree and 6 years experience but haven't worked in the last 5 years as I've been a SAHM. I've only worked at two jobs in Australia (I come from overseas).

I do volunteer for 2 organisations, would it be possible to use these as references? My boss at my last work has left so can't use him as a reference. I do keep in touch with a colleague but I didn't work directly with them so don't think they would be a suitable referee. boss of my job before that is still there but now works in an overseas office and to be honest it would be a bit awkward to contact him seeing I left there over 6.5 years ago and he probably wouldn't remember me!

Any advice please? It says you HAVE to include 3 referees.

Thank you :)

Shorty78

I would use the people from where you volunteer. Even they you aren't paid they would still be able to comment on the standard of work, your commitment and ethic etc.

Just check with the relevant people before giving their details.

• Like 1

madefromscratch

You can use someone from the organisations you volunteer for as a referee, particularly someone who has supervised your work or allocated work to you. You can also get in touch with your boss from your last paid job - linkedin is a good way to find someone - and ask him. If you have at least 2 referees who have supervised/managed you then it's probably okay to nominate a peer, so long as you're clear about that.

Good luck!!

babycuddler

Three references is tough.... I agree you should be able to useable peer for the third. Otherwise they are unfairly penalising you and preventing your return to work,which is hard enough already!!

Future-self

I would track down your last boss - linked in as PP suggested would be the best start.

Then use the two from your volunteer organisations absolutely!